Edge extension doesn't work with Windows on ARM

Using Windows 10 on an ARM device (HP Envy x2), 1Password installs and the Windows application works. I can install the Edge extension, but the extension does not connect to the host app. I don't see any connected browsers.

I'm using the latest Windows 10 RS5 build (17760) and the latest 1Password for Windows.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @onovotny,

Thanks for reporting this.

We do not officially support Windows on ARM at the moment, we don't have an ARM build nor an ARM machine to test 1Password with. While we understand these ARM Windows versions can emulate x86 apps, we can't be sure without finding a machine to test first.

I'm surprised Microsoft allowed you to install the 1Password extension for Edge, it is set to not support ARM:

Are you able to install other browsers like Firefox or Chrome to try the 1Password extension? We had some issues with Edge on RS5 insider builds, so it would help to rule this out if you can test these browsers.

• onovotny
    onovotny
    Community Member

This is what I see when browsing the Store on the Envy x2:

I tried it in Chrome on the device and it worked perfectly. The tray app works with Hello, Chrome works.

In the app, under "connected browsers," it shows chrome. I don't see any entry for Edge, either under connected or refused.

• Hi @onovotny,

Interesting, we'll double-check our store settings to see what's going on.

If you don't see any entry, it means there was no attempt to connect to the main 1Password program. Try this:

1. Opening the main 1Password app and go to File Menu > Exit.
    2. Closing Edge, open Task Manager and go to the details tab. Terminate all 1Password.Edge.* processes.
    3. Open 1Password program first, unlock, and wait a minute. Open Edge, see if 1Password responds?
  • onovotny
    onovotny
    Community Member

I don't see any 1Password.Edge.* process running, I'm guessing that's the issue?

Whatever you're doing for Chrome does work, and if there's an x86 package, that should work on ARM as well. x64 apps don't.

I'd really love it if this could be fixed somehow since ARM's battery life is amazing and Edge is much faster than Chrome on it (likely because it's compiled as ARM instead of x86). It's hard to be without passwords though as that's essential :)

• Hi @onovotny,

So, if you open Edge and click on 1Password, you don't see any 1Password.Edge.* processes either?

We're not doing anything special for Chrome, it's a regular 1Password browser extension that runs within Chrome itself. The difference is that 1Password extension for Edge is a bridged app that is embedded with 1Password extension for Edge and a bridged UWP/X86 "middleman" app that lets Edge talk to the UWP side of the middleman app and it'll redirect it to the native x86 process that goes to the native 1Password desktop process. It's a fragile setup with four separate processes involved since Edge doesn't let extensions talk to native x86 processes.

We are working to bring 1Password X to Edge, which is a self-contained normal Edge extension without any need to talk to any external program. 1Password X will be a native experience for Edge, including support for tablet mode as well since it has its own UI/database.

We do want to try to bring the 1Password desktop program to the Microsoft Store with an embedded Edge extension but every time we try, there are some limitations and problems we've faced in the past few years. The Windows desktop bridge is getting better but we have to balance our time and resources to make sure it works on all computers first.

• onovotny
    onovotny
    Community Member

So, if you open Edge and click on 1Password, you don't see any 1Password.Edge.* processes either?

That's correct.

We are working to bring 1Password X to Edge

Is there any kind of beta version that can be tested; how far along is this? As an Edge-first user, I'm happy to help anything that can make that experience better.

• Hi @onovotny,

That's odd, can you check Event Viewer to see if there are any internal crashes that may be happening?

Is there any kind of beta version that can be tested; how far along is this?

Sadly, no beta yet. Our initial attempts to convert the Chrome version of said 1Password X failed badly despite Microsoft's claims that it should be easy to do so. We're working on addressing each blockers in the extension code but our primary focus right now is addressing the performance issues within 1Password 7.2. Once we release an update to fix them, we'll go back to getting 1Password X released for Edge.

We will announce more details as soon as the beta or stable release is ready.

This discussion has been closed.