iOS 12 and the new Password API

Options
blaxxz
blaxxz
Community Member

Hey,

we will get iOS 12 tomorrow with the new Password API.
Will 1P for iOS support this or must we wait for an Update?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @blaxxz,

1Password 7.2 will support that API and it will be released alongside iOS 12.

• a2sheppy
    a2sheppy
    Community Member
    Options

Can't wait!

A new version of Firefox Lockbox is out that already uses the new password API. It's not as full a solution as 1Password (I use it as a secondary source, basically), but it is nice to see how the integration works. It's pretty slick.

• storie
    storie
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

🤩— Thank you!

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the Information.

• :) :+1:

• tsunami78
    tsunami78
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, now that iOS 12 is out, any updates on when we can expect 7.2 to be released? I am eagerly awaiting the new autofill integration!

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tsunami78 It's already available in the store. It may vary by region as it takes time for Apple's servers to fully update across the world.

Give it a few hours and it should show up. But the button has been pushed on our side, so to speak.

• tsunami78
    tsunami78
    Community Member
    Options

Cool, thank you for the quick response. I'll keep looking.

• Tribruin
    Tribruin
    Community Member
    Options

• It shows as released on our side, so its just a matter of time until it propagates to the various iTunes servers.

• evanmoore
    evanmoore
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

We are not seeing it yet. The web version also still shows Version 7.1.1 as the latest in the Version History.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password-password-manager/id568903335?mt=8

**** NEVERMIND JUST SAW IT IN STORE ***

• Great. :+1:

Ben

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member
    Options

You can even create new logins with strong, unique passwords, all without having to open the main 1Password app.
    So my complete Vault is saved to my Device?

Not only that, if you have a 1Password membership your information will automatically be kept up to date across all your devices and computers when using Password AutoFill. It’s just wonderful.
    So we do not have to install the 1Password App on every Apple device?

• zerolight
    zerolight
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Autofill for me is only working on less than 50% of websites on iPhone X, ios12. Most of the time I have to manually trigger 1password the normal way. Seems like if the website login pops up as an overlay it's not detected.

• @blaxxz,

So my complete Vault is saved to my Device?

The complete vault was always saved to your device, can you clarify what you're asking about there?

So we do not have to install the 1Password App on every Apple device?

You still need to install 1Password, Password AutoFill ties into 1Password that exists on your device.

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy
    "all without having to open the main 1Password app"
    Is the safe stored in plain text or still encrypted?

It reads like 1Password stores it on the Device so iOS 12 can access it. As you write it all works without opening the app.
    I hope I could explain it understandably.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2018
    Options

The data is still encrypted. This doesn’t change that.

Ben

• glessard
    glessard
    Community Member
    Options

Some apps have a secondary password (e.g. custom decryption key in Backblaze's iOS file downloader), but 1Password only permits copying the primary password saved from any given item via the "keyboard password interface" (making terms up here, heh.)

Is this expected behaviour? A limitation?
    I surely am not alone to save security question answers as secondary passwords in my password manager, and this design doesn't help at all in getting to that class of information.

• Hi @glessard ,

Currently the iOS12 API supports autofilling of usernames and passwords, and if you have a TOTP it will copy it to the clipboard. Right now there's no way to have it fill anything else. We can look and see what workarounds are possible, but in the meantime, for answering security questions, we recommend switching to the 1Password app, and copying the answer, and switching back. Or if you are using an iPad, use the multitasking API to bring up 1Password alongside the app and dragging the security answers into the text fields.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• beefalo
    beefalo
    Community Member
    Options

This is great! One thing I’ve noticed: AutoFill seems to want me to type the master password, even if I have the app set up to use FaceID. Is that an Apple limitation? It would be awesome not to have to type the master password every time I need to log in to something....

• Thanks @beefalo. We have seen that ourselves but it does seem to start using Touch ID / Face ID after a handful of uses. We’re investigating why that is necessary.

Ben

• 1Ray
    1Ray
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Yup, the secondary password thing is a bit of a pain. Very unfortunate.

I guess the work around is to have a separate 1P entry for each password required.
    🤢

• beefalo
    beefalo
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thanks for your response. I just tried it again on a site and it used Face ID!

• kdcnz
    kdcnz
    Community Member
    Options

Is an issue in that it shows ALL sign-on identities for a site, regardless of vault. I do not want or expect that behaviour. I only want identities from current vault. My example is google. I have 3 google identities in my main vault (no issue with them) but have another in a separate vault, which is private. I don’t want that showing up, especially if my shoulder is being looked over.

• whustedt
    whustedt
    Community Member
    Options

How does it work, that even though the vault is locked, AutoFill suggests credentials?
    Is the metadata to my vault publicly available and could you please make this configurable?
    Vault contents should only be accessible once I enter the master password!

• Hi @whustedt ,

The usernames and website hosts are provided to iOS which stores them encrypted in a keychain file. This data is not available to apps. Only the autofill feature can read it. Also, the actual passwords that are filled are only provided once you unlock and select one of your items.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Hi @kdcnz ,

Thanks for letting us know. For the first release we opted to make people's items from all vaults accessible. But we can consider your feedback too and see if we can come up with a practical solution to your preference.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• @1Ray

I’m not sure I follow. You’ve always had to have an entry in 1Password for each account? Could you please elaborate?

Ben

• Thanks for the update @beefalo :)

Ben

• whustedt
    whustedt
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Kevin,

thanks for clearing that up.
    Did you document that somewhere? I would appreciate more transparency regarding data transfer in and out of the vault.

Best, Wilken

This discussion has been closed.