To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master Password supposed to be so hard for users?

Options
rskellett
rskellett
Community Member

OK decided to buy membership. Took a hour or two to set up. (Strike 1). On first macbook it seems that I only use the very long and impossible "master password" if there is some sort of failure. That is O.K. unless it happens everytime the screen saver starts up: 1Password still allows me to log in with my old password that I can remember. So I move to my second machine and get it set up thinking everything is O.K. with the account version even if it is a pain in the a**... Then the second machine won't let me open 1Password without the long "master password", so to do any browsing I have to keep referring to the "master password" which is not O.K. with me. How do I take back control? Please give me a procedure or tell me how to keep using 1Password like I used to in v6.

Also, what is the difference between my vault and the primary vault? This is really jacked up... sorry to say. Thank you

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: multiple firefox, safari, chrome
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password Account
Referrer: forum-search:change master password on second machine or stop asking for it

Comments

• Hello @rskellett,

I'm sorry to hear that your on-boarding experience was not great. We would definitely love to hear any feedback about specific steps in the process you thought could be improved!

About the master password; users have to enter the master password in two scenarios. The first is when you first add an account to the app. You will have to enter the master password and secret key at set-up. The second is when unlocking the app. The app locks by default when the computer sleeps, when the screen saver starts, when switching users, and after the computer is idle for 5 minutes.

These settings can be adjusted in the preferences for the app. Open 1Password and select "1Password 7" -> "Preferences". Click on the "Security" tab, and on that page you will see a section labeled "Auto-lock" where you can adjust when the app locks.

The difference between your Primary Vault and your Private Vault is that the Primary Vault was used for accounts on our stand-alone licenses. The Private Vault is the default vault for subscription accounts. If you added a subscription account to an app that was previously set up on a license, then you would see both.

I hope that helps, please do let us know if you have any feedback about the on-boarding for 1Password 7.

Jin

This discussion has been closed.