Questions about update conversion process

Options
System
edited September 2018 in 1Password 4 for Windows
This discussion was created from comments split from: How do I configure 1Password for Windows to use OPVault.

Comments

• petalhanger
    petalhanger
    Community Member
    Options

What about passwords for apps that don't have a URL associated? Won't I be able to search for them?

• petalhanger
    petalhanger
    Community Member
    Options

I'm feeling nervous about moving to 1PW7. I wanted to wait until I've fully acquainted myself with all the information and I don't really appreciate having this forced on me. Can I please roll back my android app to 1PW4 until I'm ready. to take the plunge.

• petalhanger
    petalhanger
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I assume that I have to purchase a new licence to upgrade from 4 to 7 on my windows machine? If I choose not to do this, I need an android app that is compatible with my desktop version!!

• @petalhanger

What apps(s) are you having difficulties with?

Ben

• Hi @petalhanger. Please have a look at my reply to jace88 above. 1Password 4 for Windows does support the OPVault format, as OPVault has been around since 2012. If you decide to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Windows, it will indeed require a membership or a new license. However, you are not required to make a new purchase to use this format. You are required to convert to the OPVault format with 1Password 7 for Android and Windows, as we no longer support the Agile Keychain format.

There's no way to roll back to an earlier version of 1Password on Android. For more information, please read my reply above, and follow the links for information about the OPVault format and how to sync 1Password 4 for Windows with the new vault after you've converted.

• petalhanger
    petalhanger
    Community Member
    Options

Could someone please explain exactly what will happen to my many attachments in my current agile keychain vault since I am suddenly and rudely forced to move to OPV in order to maintain sync with my Android device. The only info I can find is on this page https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/ which describes moving to an account. I'm not moving to an account just changing vault format so I'm not sure if the info applies?

Anyway that page says "When you copy an item to a vault in a 1Password account, any attachments will become Documents. Documents are items themselves, and can be managed independently of the items that contain them." but what on earth does that even mean? Will attachments still be attached to the entry to which they belong? For example, I have a secure note called Driving Licence. The body of the note contains my driver number, expiry date etc but attached to the note are scans of my current and previous licences. They are called image1.jpg, image2.jpg, image3.jpg etc Many of my logins have the two factor QR code also attached as a jpg file in case I need to recover my 2FA credentials. Typically these are named image.jpg If all of these attachments are removed from their logins and just become documents then I'm going to have a huge number of files called image.jpg and no clue what they all are. The work that is going to be involved in sorting out such a mess is infeasible and I will have to look for another PW manager.

_1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
    _Extension Version Chrome 6.2.9200
    _OS Version: Windows 10
    _Sync Type: Dropbox

• petalhanger
    petalhanger
    Community Member
    Options

I thought I'd share my experience so far of updating to the OPV format on Android.
    1. Firstly as I've said elsewhere, I'm NOT happy at being forced to do this with no in-app notice whatsoever. I think it's rude to upgrade the Android app unasked for and without warning and I'm having to take time out to deal with this when it is most certainly NOT convenient.
    2. I wanted to make sure that OPV handles attachments exactly as the agile keychain format does before I changed over and I CANNOT find that info anywhere.
    3. The first time I asked the Android app to convert to OPV it failed
    4. The second attempt seemed to create the vault successfully but it's now stuck on a "converting" screen that has essentially hijacked my phone. I can't relegate the app to the background I'm essentially locked out. I use my phone for business. I need it. Again, I was given no warning that this might happen and I'm cross.
    5. The delay seems to be due to the number of attachments I have since it appears to be creating attachment files judging by what I'm seeing syncing into my desktop dropbox folder. Surely the updater could have counted the attachments beforehand and offered me a time estimate of the process before I agreed to go ahead??
    6. I have a 42 character master password and a lock interval set to the minimum on Android. This is not normally a problem because I unlock with fingerprint. Since commencing the conversion process to OPV, the android app is telling me it cannot accept my fingerprint and I have to re-enable it in settings. However, I cannot do this because the phone is hijacked as per 4 and I cannot access settings until the process is complete. In addition, touching the screen is not keeping the app alive because the phone is hijacked by the conversion process AND when the app locks itself, the conversion process appears to stop - based on the fact that each time it locks - files stop appearing in my desktop dropbox folder. So now, I'm locked into a sync process that I have to enter a 42 character password every minute to keep running and I have ZERO idea how long this is going to take. Nice work.

• petalhanger
    petalhanger
    Community Member
    Options

And just to add..
    7. The process finally completed itself but a sync error appeared. Many of my attachments have been deleted - which was, frankly, my worst freaking nightmare. Support ID #KUI-34883-134. I still have them in my desktop version of 1PW4 because it's still on the agile format. What a mess.

• petalhanger
    petalhanger
    Community Member
    Options

So after being forced to change to OPV without notice by the upgrade of the Android app (which I in no way wanted having already got a perfectly working set-up that I was happy with) and after the android app having lost about half of my attachments in the conversion (Re: [#KUI-34883-134] 1Password for Android: Sync on 2018.Sep.17 (Failed)), I thought I'd try from the Windows side of things. I use 1PW4 which I'm very happy with and won't be changing. There appears to be no way to convert from one vault format to another (why on earth not??!!!) so I created a new vault, exported from the agile vault into a .pif file and then imported into the new opv vault. 1PW4 hung and needed a hard restart but apart from that things seemed to be OK. The attachments (my main concern) seemed to have ported across as I wished. However stuff is missing. Logins (agile) 627, logins (OPV) 619. Notes (agile) 73, notes (OPV) 68, Generated PWs (agile) 162, generated PWs (OPV) 130. Apparently I can't have both vaults open at the same time side by side to compare so how on earth do you suggest I figure out what's missing? This whole thing is a nightmare from my perspective. Those of us making an informed decision to stick with agile keychain should be allowed to do so not forced into the OPV format for which you apparently have no working process of conversion. Although I can switch back to the agile vault format on 1PW4, I have no option to do on android because you won't allow me to roll back to the previous version. The conversion to OPV on android also lost random logins and attachments so basically 1PW is non functioning from my POV. I am so cross because I had a set up that worked perfectly for me and from my perspective you've broken it. Instead of working the way I want to work you are forcing me to work the way you think I should work. I reckon it will be just as much work to fix the broken 1PW as it will to port across to Keepass and I'm wavering between the two. Why on earth didn't you create a utility to handle the vault conversion properly?????

• This discussion was created from comments split from: Unable to search for logins if no website listed against it.
  • This discussion was created from comments split from: Do I need to update my 1Password vault to OPVault format?.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@petalhanger: I'm sorry for the issues you're having, but any problem you've had converting doesn't affect your data: the original vault will still be there unless you deleted it yourself.. In order to get a better sense of where you're at currently (you've posted in multiple discussions and also emailed us repeatedly over the last two days, so it isn't clear to me what your current situation is), can you clarify what you're trying to do and where exactly you're having trouble? Also, please let me know the OS, 1Password, and device versions involved so I can give you correct instructions based on your setup. Thanks in advance!

ref: VDR-66348-495

• petalhanger
    petalhanger
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using Android version whatever it is you've enforced with the latest upgrade. Actually if you had warned me about this forthcoming upgrade in the app itself I could have unticked autoupdate in my playstore settings for this individual app and saved myself a huge headache. This nightmare was exactly what I was trying to avoid.

In the android app I tried letting the app handle the conversion. It was a poor user experience described above which culminated in half of my attachments being deleted. I deleted that malformed OPV vault and reinstalled 1PW for android. It's currently re-syncing with the agile vault and I'm waiting to see what happens with that.

Meanwhile I tried to migrate via the windows app. 1PW version 4.6.2.626. I exported everything to .pif then imported this .pif to a brand new OPV vault on 1PW4. The result of this was a vault with lots of stuff missing and no way for me to easily discover what, since I can't view the two vaults side by side.

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @petalhanger,

We do apologize about that, the Android team did make sure conversion works well and it does for the majority of our users but we found later that there were older versions of the AgileKeychain that were not converted properly. We've been updating Android app with more fixes to our conversion as we hear and test about these vaults.

In this case, we do not recommend using 1Password 4 for Windows to convert AgileKeychain to OPVault. It hasn't been updated in a long time and we've been focusing on improving the conversion in 1Password 7 for Windows instead. 1Password 7 for Windows has the most mature and battle-tested OPV conversion as it has been out several months without any major issues.

You do not have to buy 1Password 7 for Windows to convert the vault, you can install 1Password 7, open the AgileKeychain and it'll ask to convert it. When you convert it, you can use the new OPVault to reopen it in 1Password 4 and 1Password 7 for Android should work with it. Uninstall 1Password 7 afterward and then open 1Password 4, go to Help Menu > Advanced to enable Use Native Messaging protocol to make sure it works with the 1Password extensions.

There are a few gotchas; there are no Accounts/Wallets category for OPVault, it was phased out a long time ago. Most of the Account categories have been converted to Logins and your folder structure is converted to tags. 1Password 4 does not support nesting tags, 1Password 7 does. The Android version will add nesting support in a future update.

• petalhanger
    petalhanger
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Right I've had a chnace to try this and I'm NOT happy. I downloaded 1PW7 and asked it to convert the vault as instructed. The result of that process is that I am about 300 logins down, all of the secure note attachments are missing and I have a main pane in the app which displays only secure notes. Clicking on logins or any other category is non functional. I now have to restore my agile vault from a back up in 1PW4 and I have a non functional android app. I repeat my request to be provided with the APK for the previous Android version so that I can continue to use 1PW whilst you sort out the broken conversion process.
    Edited to add: UPDATE: I closed and reopened 1PW7 and it seemed to just sort itself out. Everything is now appearing in my new OP Vault, the attachments are all there and it works OK in 1PW4. Mahoosive relief thank you.

• Hi @petalhanger,

Sorry about that, we will add a progress view to let you know when the conversion is done. It won't display items in real time when it is converted, only when the entire process is done in the background and then it reloads.

This discussion has been closed.