Anyone else's kids get message at Apple App Store that they cannot use the app if under 17?

CBColem
CBColem
Community Member

My kids got a message from the Apple Store telling them that they could not download the 1Password App unless they were 17 or older. This seems to be because of the private browser part of 1Password. However, they were able to download it via iCloud family sharing after my we downloaded it. Still wondering if this is a bug or feature?

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:apple users under 17

Comments

• Hi @CBColem,

1Password does unfortunately have to be rated 17+. I know what one of my colleagues does to work around this, while still maintaining control over the content his kids have access to, is he uses the “ask to buy” feature and turns off age restrictions entirely:

Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

That may be one possible solution here.

Ben

• ianiv
    ianiv
    Community Member

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be an option anymore. I have "Ask to buy" enabled for my kids but the app store won't even allow then to request purchases for 17+ apps.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ianiv - I'm not entirely sure this is the issue, but you may want to try disabling the age restrictions and ONLY using Ask to Buy. It seems like there may be a conflict between the two. Let us know if that works for you.

• ianiv
    ianiv
    Community Member

Now I feel stupid, but that was it, you have to do both. Thanks @Lars

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ianiv - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.