Can't delete Safari extension for 1password 3 in order to upgrade to new version

I have been using 1password version 3.8.21 on my Mac w OS 10.12.6. Today I updated to the new version of Safari. After upgrading, I got a message saying that the extension is no longer supported. Apparently I need to upgrade to the new version of 1password. I looked at the upgrade instructions and saw that I need to first delete the extension for the old version. The instructions on the page https://support.1password.com/uninstall-v3-extension/ say that I need to first verify that I still have the extension. As part of the process, I need to open 1password, and try to add a new password from any website, then go to Safari and click the key icon to see if the new website shows up. The trouble is: the 1password key icon no longer appears in Safari since I upgraded Safari. Please advise.

1Password Version: 3.8.21
Extension Version: unknown
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:uninstall version 3 extension for safari

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@philgloss: Recent macOS and browser versions are not compatible with 1Password 3, as it was created in 2009. And Apple has been locking down Safari so that what can be installed there is restricted. Safari 12 in particular only allows extensions to be installed from Apple's Safari Extension Gallery, and that did not even exist when 1Password 3 was discontinued in 2012, so it is not possible to use it there. If you have all of your data in your vault in 1Password though that doesn't really matter. The new version of 1Password can still import data directly from your AgileKeychain vault. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• dittman3
    dittman3
    Community Member

I just encountered the same issue with my 1password 3 As you no there is was annual plan fee for 1password 3 which is a big plus. Because the extension for 1password 3 is no longer supported and I would doubt you will further develop it to make it compatible,.. do you, or can you offer a discounted rate so I can upgrade to 1password 4 (no annual fee based plan) so I can start using my 1password again? I emailed a support case regarding this 2 days ago and have not heard back. Thank you.

• @dittman3

Please avoid contacting us in multiple areas with the same question. Doing so will only further slow down the support process for everyone -- you included.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.