iPhone syncing Dropbox AND 1password.com

Options
Bassman
Bassman
Community Member
edited September 2018 in iOS

I just noticed 1Password on my iPhone8 is not syncing with my 1PWD database I have stored in my Dropbox account. Also, the Sync button is missing.

I read that once you sign into an account, the sync button goes away. And that makes sense for certain configs. But I am a member of a team (which 1PWD on iPhone is signed into) AND I have my own, personal data stored in Dropbox in an .opvault file. I have that config on my OSX 1WD, and it works beautifully.

I'd like to mimic my OSX setup on my iPhone: Dropbox for my Primary vault as well as 1Password.com for my Team account. I don't understand why it would work differently on the iPhone.

Is this possible?

thanks in advance,
Chris

An afterthought: is the order in which I add vaults significant? I added the Team account BEFORE I attempted to add Dropbox vault. Would it matter if I reversed the order?

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: ---
OS Version: iOS 11.4.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:iPhone Sync button missing

Comments

• Hi @Bassman ,

It works the same way on your phone, but you do have to tell it that you have a vault on Dropbox. Here's what I recommend:

In 1Password on your iPhone, tap Settings > Vaults > Enable Standalone Vaults. Follow the instructions to create a Primary vault. Once you have done that, you will see Sync and be able to set it up to sync with Dropbox.

Note that the Master Password to unlock 1Password is now the one you set for your Standalone vault, just like on OS X. So if you ever change the Master Password for your account, it may be a good idea to change it for your Primary vault too, to keep it in sync and so you do not forget it.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Bassman
    Bassman
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect! Works like a charm. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you @ag_kevin!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Kevin, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• schrino
    schrino
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Well, this seems like a good way to transition to the account by keeping both sync options until one is comfortable. I'm in this boat, not ready to fully switch to account sync for ios or macOS.

• @schrino,

We don’t generally recommend using both as doing so has a tendency to cause confusion regarding the Master Password. When you have a Primary vault (standalone) on a device 1Password on that device unlocks using the Master Password of that Primary vault, rather than the Master Password associated with your 1Password account. Changing your Master Password in one of the 1Password apps will change the Master Password of the Primary vault, and not your account password.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.