Looking for the 1Password Helper in Chrome

Options

Hi,
I am a 1Password for Family subscription and I have the 1Password Application running on my Windows 10 Surface Pro. I am using a Chrome browser with the 1Password extension. Just recently the extension stopped working and now when I go to click on the extension icon in Chrome, I get a message that it is looking for the 1Password Helper and does not seem to be able to locate it.
I have followed the help article that suggests uninstalling the Chrome Extension and Resinstalling and doing a restart - but no joy.
I noticed in my 1Password Desktop application settings - under the Connected Browsers, it is blank where I thought previously it listed Chrome.

The build on my 1Password Windows Desktop App is 7.2.580 and says it is up to date - however, the desktop application seems rather unstable and keeps disappearing.

Suggestions please?

Regards
Dean

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @deancrobinson,

Thanks for reporting this.

the desktop application seems rather unstable and keeps disappearing.

Can you explain what that means? Disappearing as if it is crashing and when you reopen it, you have to unlock?

I go to click on the extension icon in Chrome, I get a message that it is looking for the 1Password Helper and does not seem to be able to locate it.

Can you check for Chrome updates, there may be a pending update that you have to install manually. If Chrome is pending an update, it breaks the Native Messaging support in 1Password extension and it cannot connect to the desktop program. To do this, click the three dots in Chrome to select Help > About Google Chrome. Check the version, it may ask you to click to install the update.

• deancrobinson
    deancrobinson
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @MikeT ,
    Yes - the desktop application keeps disappearing on a regular basis, like it is crashing. I was trying to access the build info by going to Help > About 1Password. As soon as I click on that, the version number info flashes up for just a moment and then the application crashes. It does this consistently.

I have gone to Help > About Google Chrome and I get the the following information:
    Google Chrome is up to date
    Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    It appears to be up to date with no outstanding updates pending.

Any further ideas?
    Regards,
    Dean

• deancrobinson
    deancrobinson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT ,
    A further update on my case. I used the Windows Remove program to uninstall the 1Password application, then downloaded the application from my online 1Password account and reinstalled. When I launched the desktop application, it prompted me to then update to the latest version and I am now back with 7.2.580 and under the 1Password menu option it says "Your app is up to date". However, the application is still crashing.
    But - the good news is that the Chrome Plug-in is now working and I am not getting the error message about being unable to find 1Password Helper. So the reinstall of the Windows Desktop 1Password application seems to have resolved the Chrome extension issue.

Any ideas on how I can get the 1Password desktop app to stop crashing?

Cheers
    Dean

• Hi @deancrobinson,

We'll need to see the crash reports to see what's going on. Can you email us your 1Password crash report, it may give us an idea; here's how to grab the crash report from Windows' Event Viewer: https://support.1password.com/cs/windows-crash-report/

Please include the link to this thread in your email, so we can connect the email to this thread. You can email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com.

Let us know when you sent it, so we can confirm we got it.

• deancrobinson
    deancrobinson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT ,
    Crash report sent.

Regards,
    Dean

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @deancrobinson,

I can see that you are talking to Kate already, so let's continue our conversation via email. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

ref: GCH-23511-159

This discussion has been closed.