I don't know where my passwords are - upgrading from 6 to 7

ToddDSmith
ToddDSmith
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

I just installed 7 using the download method on Mac OS 10.12.6. I did not have a 1Password membership previously. Within the app I signed up for the free trial and yearly billing for 7. Everything worked, except for one problem: all of my passwords in 6 are not in 7. It's like starting from scratch. Is there a way to export from 6 and import into 7?

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• Donaldd
    Donaldd
    Community Member

Hi, @ToddDSmith , this page could guide you to move your existing data to a 1Password account:
    https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ToddDSmith! I'm not sure what you mean by "the download method," but if you have 1Password 7 for Mac on a Mac that previously held your 1Password 6 for Mac data, then you can migrate your data relatively easily. How many vaults did you have in 1Password 6 for Mac?

• corey_balko
    corey_balko
    Community Member

I upgraded from 6.x to 7 on the Mac and now I cannot see my iCloud vault. How do I migrate it?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@corey_balko - I'm sorry for the trouble! What DO you see when you launch 1Password 7 for Mac, currently?

• corey_balko
    corey_balko
    Community Member

I see the vaults that are in my 1password.com account. There are not any passwords stored in them.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@corey_balko - thanks for the clarification. Was it your intention to create a 1password.com account? Are you looking to migrate your older standalone vault synced via iCloud into your new 1password.com account?

• corey_balko
    corey_balko
    Community Member

My company created an account for me and so I was going to migrate my data to it on 1password.com, but it is proving to be very unintuitive. This iOS app allows you to have iCloud, Dropbox and 1Password.com accounts very easily so why doesn't the Mac App? Version 7 seems like a major step backwards to me. I should be able to use my data anywhere including 1password.com on the Mac. Are there any plans to fix it? The only way I see to migrate my iCloud data to 1Password.com is to first sync to Dropbox and then import from there. That seems ridiculous. I have been a user of 1Password since version 2 and have upgraded every time, but version 7 because of this mess. Now that my. company is using it, I'm forced to upgrade. Please help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@corey_balko

This iOS app allows you to have iCloud, Dropbox and 1Password.com accounts very easily so why doesn't the Mac App?

It does. :) I'm just trying to determine what specifically you want to do, so I can help point you in the right direction.

My company created an account for me and so I was going to migrate my data to it on 1password.com...

A word of caution: if your company created a 1Password Teams account for you -- a "work" account, then they will technically be the owners of this account. I would not put my personal, private data into an account owned by my employer -- and I work here. :) If what's happened is that your employer has given you an individual or 1Password Families account, that's different.

With the understanding that this is an account you actually own and you do want to move your data there as you said, here are the steps:

1. In 1Password 7 for Mac, open Preferences > Advanced and check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will create a new, standalone vault on your Mac, and you'll need to give it a Master Password. Use the same Master Password you previously were using for your iCloud vault.
    2. Open Preferences > Sync, choose this newly created, empty Primary vault, and set the sync method to iCloud. You'll be asked to merge the data on iCloud, accept this.
    3. Allow a full sync to happen (shouldn't take long), then use these instructions to move all of your items from the Primary (iCloud) vault into your 1password.com vault. Verify the items are now in the 1password.com vault and the iCloud (Primary) vault is empty.
    4. Return to Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts."

You should now be running only your 1password.com account, with all your data inside it. Let me know how that works for you! :)

• corey_balko
    corey_balko
    Community Member

Lars, you are awesome! This should be added to an FAQ from the main support or Getting Started page because I have been trying to do just this for a while now. Now, after I saw this would work for me I didn't actually do it because you are right, I don't want to migrate my data to my company 1password.com account. So my next question is how do I access my iCloud 1password passwords on my work laptop without having to add it to my company 1password.com account? Please tell this is possible?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@corey_balko - it's definitely possible! What you'd need to do, however, is create your own 1password.com account - either individual or 1Password Families - and put your personal/private data in those vaults. You can sign into as many accounts as you own/are a member of in each 1Password app, and view the data separately, or combined. :)

• corey_balko
    corey_balko
    Community Member

I created a new 1password.com. account under corey.balko@gmail.com and followed the steps above to add my iCloud account. It says it found 1 iCloud account with a last update of June 12, 2018 and it won't accept the vault password even though I just logged into it on my iPhone and entered the same password that 1Password 7 says is incorrect. What could be happening. It doesn't make sense that is says it found one with the last update made on June 12 when I use it every day on my iPhone and it syncs all the time.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@corey_balko - did you use a different Master Password when you created the 1password.com account than you previously used for your iCloud vault? If so, that's the reason: you need to enter the correct Master Password. At this point, however, to get a better sense of what might be where on your devices, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#HVH-68434-922]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @corey_balko only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: HVH-68434-922

• corey_balko
    corey_balko
    Community Member

I had at one time a 1password.com account tied to my email, but I deleted it last week. I can provide what you are asking for above, but I would just expect there is only 1 iCloud associated with my email so not sure why it would not pick up the latest file.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@corey_balko - I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Have you ever had a second Apple ID? It's possible you previously had a different iCloud account signed in, and 1Password is retrieving that data. If you can send in the requested diagnostics reports, we can have a closer look.

• corey_balko
    corey_balko
    Community Member

I have only ever had one iCloud. I will send the diagnostics.

• corey_balko
    corey_balko
    Community Member

I just sent both reports.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Yep, got 'em. Let's keep the conversation going in email, as it's concerning specifics of your 1Password setup that shouldn't be in this public forum. :)

This discussion has been closed.