currently using 1P v6, is v7 more secure?

Options
J_schwinn
J_schwinn
Community Member

I am currently using 1P v6, is v7 more secure? I sync via using a local folder.

When will v6 stop being supported?

What is the current price for the v7 standalone?

How many Macs can I install 1P v7 if purchase the license version ( I have 3 macs)

thank you,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@J_schwinn - thanks for the questions. Each new version of 1Password has some security improvements, so I'd have to answer that question with a yes, for every new full version upgrade. If you'd like a list of all the changes in 1Password 7 for Mac, you can read the release notes in our updates server.

Version 6 will never stop being supported, in one sense: if you have a license for version 6, it will continue to work to license a copy of version 6 forever. But as time passes and the hardware and OSes on which version 6 will run get older, there will be less documentation available online for specifically troubleshooting version 6, and you'll increasingly hear "update to the current version" as a recommended solution to problems. There are still people out there today using version 3 of 1Password for Mac...but it's getting increasingly difficult for users to run and for us to support such an old version of 1Password for Mac (version 3 debuted in 2009 - it's nearly ten years old!). So I can't really give you a fixed timeline for EoL for a particular version, as too many changes are outside our control: how quickly Apple releases new versions of macOS, how sweeping the changes are, changes in hardware, related 3rd party libraries, browsers, etc.

A standalone license of 1Password 7 for Mac (or 1Password 7 for Windows) costs $64.99 at full price. Right now, during our launch special pricing, however, a license costs $49.99. I have no idea for how much longer that lower price will be in effect. 1Password licenses are sold per-person and per-platform, meaning: you don't need a separate license for each device. You can license as many Macs as you personally own/use. But if there are others in your household who want to use 1Password, they would each need their own license. By contrast, however, a 1Password membership includes all four of our 1Password apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android), including all future upgrades, for as long as you maintain the account. Hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.