Just to confirm: no keyboard shortcuts for 1Password X?

Options

I love the keyboard shortcuts with the latest desktop app and Chrome extension. I'm trying to decide whether it's easier to use that combo or the 1Password X for Chrome. I know it's a personal choice but, because of the (unavoidable) lack of keyboard shortcuts, I'm not seeing the advantage of 1Password X if one is able to install the desktop app. Are there advantages I am missing simply b/c I haven't used 1Password X as much?

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@scacl: Honestly it depends almost entirely on personal preference. A lot of people seem to love the inline menus on webpages with 1Password X. Personally, call me old fashioned, but while I like 1Password X a lot, I really prefer the 1Password desktop app/extension combo since that allows me to use 1Password outside of my browser. I have a lot going on there. It's also more flexible with keyboard shortcuts, since that can be handled at the OS level. On the other hand, 1Password X has some cool tricks with filling too. Fortunately we're bringing those to the native apps, and we'll continue to take the best stuff from both worlds where we can. What's your take on it? :)

• ron101845
    ron101845
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add to this....I'm finding Chrome (I'm on a Mac, using Mojave) very clunky now. My old key-shortcut for filling a login/password suddenly stopped working (I get an error telling me the extension isn't installed) and I'm now trying to get used to clicking the little icon for 1PasswordX. Not end of the world, that's for sure, but I'm a keyboard shortcut fanatic, so I just want to put in my vote for an option to add a keyboard shortcut to 1PasswordX!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ron101845: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, what keyboard shortcut are you using? What happens if you use the mouse instead? Thanks in advance! :)

• ron101845
    ron101845
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    Oh sorry, I thought this was the normal behaviour now. The Chrome plugin doesn't work on any of my three computers now, so I figured Chrome broke it. I've tried reinstalling many times over and just gave up and started using the X app now.

First, I'm using a custom key shortcut (control-command-option-p) and that still works to open the chrome extension, but I just get a prompt to install the extension yet again.

Second...
    Macos 10.14.4
    1Password 7.3
    Chrome Version 74.0.3729.169
    1Password Chrome Extension 4.7.4.90

• ron101845
    ron101845
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    Sorry, forgot to answer....if I use the mouse instead, to click the extension in the Chrome toolbar, the window just tells me the app is required (which I have, of course).

Perhaps of interest....I'm a legacy customer who just recently made the jump to 7 and the subscription model from the old 6 perpetual edition.

• ron101845
    ron101845
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

Of course.....as all things work in life, after writing all that up, I decided to try yet again and now it seems to be work. Could it have been temporarily broken by Chrome?? I'll reinstall on my work computer on Monday, too, to make sure it's working across the board.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ron101845: Thanks for the info! The keyboard shortcut not working is definitely not normal. :) But there certainly could be some confusion about which keyboard shortcut to use. :lol:

Honestly, as soon as you said "Chrome 74 above", I thought that might be the problem, because that's out of date. If you complete any updates in Chrome and restart it, it should work. 1Password will not connect to a browser it cannot verify, and Chrome invalidates its own code signature when an update is pending; completing it and restarting are the only way to get it sorted. No need to reinstall anything. :)

On a side note, I would definitely recommend using the 1Password desktop app/extension or 1Password X, not both, as that can cause confusion. The latter is designed to run solely in the browser, and not having the desktop extension installed will result in the desktop app telling you to install it.

• ron101845
    ron101845
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty OK cool, thanks! If everything is working the way it used to, I'll uninstall 1Password X for sure and stick with the extension. I'll also check my Chrome version. I thought it just automatically updated itself in the background, but maybe not?

Thanks a lot for your help!

• ron101845
    ron101845
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

@brenty
    Interesting thing about the Chrome version...now it says 75.0.3770.90. Maybe I need to reboot Chrome and/or my Mac more often!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ron101845: Sounds good! Indeed, while Chrome downloads updates in the background, they are not fully applied until you restart. Sometimes (thought I'm not sure of the context) you'll get an icon in the upper right indicating that you need to restart...but there have been plenty of times where an update is pending that I haven't seen that. So I tend to just close it when I'm done using it. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.