1Password7 Backup Files

Options
drink5
drink5
Community Member

Where are they. Very vague answers on this forum and most are talking about the older versions. I'm getting ready to reload my computer and before I do that, want to make sure I have a local copy of the backups in case something goes wrong. NO WHERE in the preferences does it even mention backups. Where are they located for the love of god.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drink5: You'd only not have a Backups option if you're using a 1Password.com account instead of local vaults (standalone app). If you're using a 1Password.com account, your encrypted data is backed up automatically on the server. So the only thing you need to do is have your Emergency Kit with your account credentials, and you can simply sign into your account to access your data — even if all of your devices were lost, stolen, or destroyed. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• drink5
    drink5
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, that works. Haven't done it yet, but that makes sense. I have the Emergency Kit so I should be good to go. Thanks for the info!

• yulmathieu
    yulmathieu
    Community Member
    Options

What happens if 1password servers are offline? Are my vaults still functional on my desktop or phones? If I mistakenly erase all my passwords, can I go back to what my vault was like a month ago? What if some bug in 1password causes that erasure?

Shouldn't I be able to backup my vaults on USB key or something, if I want to?

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

@yulmathieu Good question !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drink5: Glad to help! Let me know if you have any other questions! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

What happens if 1password servers are offline?

@yulmathieu: Try it. Seriously. ;) 1Password caches your data locally. You'll find that you can access it just fine without an internet connection — though 1Password is not quite as useful without websites to login to. :lol:

Are my vaults still functional on my desktop or phones?

Yes.

If I mistakenly erase all my passwords, can I go back to what my vault was like a month ago?

If you literally go through and delete all of the items in your account, they'll be in the Trash. If you then go through your Trash and delete everything there, you can still use restore them from the archive. And you can also restore previous versions of items in your account as well. I'd encourage you to not also go through there and destroy items that you may want to keep.

What if some bug in 1password causes that erasure?

See above. There are several redundancies exposed in the UI, and also redundant backups on the server. Also, 1Password doesn't delete data unless the user tells it to.

Shouldn't I be able to backup my vaults on USB key or something, if I want to?

Sure you can. It won't do you any good if all of your stuff in your home is stolen or destroyed, so it isn't something I'd rely on, but 1Password keeps all of its cached data here:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/

Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.