Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

Change the size of the sidebar.
Collapse the side bar.
Quit 1P7
Open 1P7
Uncollapse the side bar.
Size of the sidebar forgotten.

I noticed that it started the forget whether I collapse the sidebar or not.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sidebar

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@june8 - sorry for the trouble! Can you tell me what version of macOS you're currently running, and whether you've restarted your Mac recently? When you say "quit," are you using ⌘Q? Or did you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)?

• june8
    june8
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

1P 7.1.2 on macOS 10.13.6 and 1P 7.2 on macOS 10.14 with ⌘Q. Restarted many times.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

I am not sure whether it coincidence or not, but if I select Lock when main window is closed in Security preferences, or if I manually lock before quitting, it remembers the sidebar size.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@june8 - I'd suggest trying a permissions repair on your Mac, either overall, using Disk First Aid or using our Troubleshooting tool. I'm running the same setup you are, and can't reproduce this error, and this is the only report of it we've seen so far. Make sure you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) before running any such tool.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

I did a permission repair using Disk First Aid and using your Troubleshooting tool both. Then I quitted and opened 1P7 several times. I did remember the size of the sidebar. But, after I collapsed the sidebar and quit (⌘Q), it forgot the size of the sidebar when I open 1P7 and uncollapsed the sidebar.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@june8: Just to clarify, when you collapse the sidebar, quit 1Password, and then open it again, is the sidebar remaining collapsed?

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Yes. And after uncollapsing it, it is not at the size which I set previously.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@june8: Then it's working as expected: 1Password is saving the state of the window as you last used it: sidebar collapsed. We can consider retaining the non-current state as well, but we haven't had other feedback to this effect and it's working as designed.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Interesting... If I changed the sidebar size, it's my preference. Why forgetting it after collapsing-uncollapsing?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@june8 - because it's not the current preference you set. The current preference was: collapsed sidebar (which was remembered; sorry I misunderstood what you were getting at initially). We don't remember two or three preferences ago for other app states in 1Password, either: if you enter a domain name in the exceptions to auto-save field in Preferences > Browsers and later delete those entries, 1Password does not remember that you used to have entries there. As brenty mentioned, it's something we can consider for the future; if our developers have some spare time in the future, we can ask them to look into it, especially if we get more requests for it. Thanks! :)

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Just one single preference to remember; the previous size of the sidebar, and use it when uncollapsed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Problem still exists.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@june8 - right. That's because it would require changes to the code to change the behavior. We haven't done that in the last 24 hours. If it wasn't clear from brenty and my earlier remarks: it's not something that's on the punch list right now, either. So, to be clear, this is functioning as designed, and isn't being imminently changed.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

I mean, it forgets the size of the sidebar if I don't collapse either.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@june8 - hmmm, I'm unable to reproduce that behavior here. That's not what you were talking about initially in this thread, which is what confused me. Can you please restate the exact steps you're taking to get this behavior?

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply.

I’d added “I noticed that it started the forget whether I collapse the sidebar or not.” to my first message.

You and @brenty said that forgetting the size of the sidebar is a normal behavior if I quit after collapsing it. I don’t agree, but I accepted it. I will not collapse and quit.

But as I noticed, 1P7 sometimes forgets the size of the sidebar even I didn’t collapse before quit. And I am not sure whether it’s coincidence or not, if I lock before quitting it does not forget.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

But as I noticed, 1P7 sometimes forgets the size of the sidebar even I didn’t collapse before quit. And I am not sure whether it’s coincidence or not, if I lock before quitting it does not forget.

I'm sorry to hear that. That does sound like a bug, but one we fixed a while ago. We're not able to reproduce that here anymore, and have heard from other affected users that it was fixed for them too. What are the exact steps you're taking when that happens?

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

No steps. Sometimes when I open 1PW7 application I find the side bar narrower sized than I set before. I am having to set it wider again.

• Thanks @june8. We’ll keep an eye out for that, but like Lars and Brenty I have not noticed that on my own setup.

Ben

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Problem still exists.
    Step 1. Set sidebar size, quit.
    Step 2. Open 1Password 7.2.1

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member

What @june8 is describing must be a bug, but if I go through this entire thread I must take exception to the design.

It looks to me that you have designed 1Password to remember the sidebar width at ⌘Q, and if the sidebar is collapsed you are saving that as width=0. So that when I start 1Password again, the sidebar remains (correctly) collapsed but when I uncollapse it you have to set it to some default width. 1Password has not kept track of the previous uncollapsed width. (Maybe that's not exactly how you have coded it but that's how it appears to behave).

To me, the correct design should be to save two states: the sidebar width when last uncollapsed (presumably some integer or float value), and the sidebar collapsed state (binary for collapsed vs. uncollapsed). That way if I have a preferred sidebar width, but ⌘Q when collapsed, 1Password can later uncollapse to that preferred width. (Clearly, you are remembering that width while the program is running because it uncollapses as expected in that case.)

I know what I am requesting is a design change, not a bug fix (i.e., it's working as designed). But IMO the design is not working as expected.

I'm running 7.2.1 on High Sierra...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure that I agree that there's a "correct" way, but I see where' you're coming from. It's certainly something we can consider as we develop future versions, but it's not something that comes up remotely often -- if ever before.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

As I mentioned earlier; just one single preference to remember; the previous size of the sidebar, and use it when uncollapsed. If I collapse something, I don't want the previous uncollapsed size to be forgotten.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know your preference (pun sort of intended). :)

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Thanks for letting us know your preference on the uncollapsed size of the sidebar. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:lol:

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

:)

This discussion has been closed.