Browser Extension Behavior

geopick
geopick
Community Member

Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
1Password extension version 4.7.3.90
The in-browser extension no longer displays a dropdown menu conveniently located beneath the menu bar icon. It puts up a sheet in the middle of my screen. Is there a way to fix this?

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:chrome browser dropdown not working

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@geopick - this is working as designed, for a number of reasons. There's no way to switch it back to the way it used to function, but you can grab the very top of the window and drag it up to right underneath the menu bar icon, where it used to be. 1Password will remember where you left it, and open it in the same place next time. Hope that helps! :)

• geopick
    geopick
    Community Member

thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@geopick - :) :+1:

• bunny
    bunny
    Community Member

Some keywords as I had to look for this: browser extension window location usability

On a 27" iMac I always have two browser windows next to each other, either window I position it under to half the time I have to move to the other, or in if it is in the middle I always have to move to it. What is the behaviour with multiple monitors? I love the design improvements but this is a usability downgrade. It's been months of 7 and I always thought it would be addressed so I've been waiting. It's been years and I can't remember this ever being the behaviour.

Please reconsider and add this to the development list, the speed increase of keyboard shortcuts is debatable and CMD+\ is not easy to type, there is the cognitive load of remembering the shortcut to bring up the extension instead of something else, even then I have to move my visual focus to another area of the screen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bunny: Right. The original poster had a question in September and was answered. I don't see the benefit of you jumping in months later to inject "keywords". Anyway, it isn't clear to me from your comments what you need help with exactly. 1Password has had this keyboard shortcut for over a decade now, and we don't really hear from people that remembering ⌘ \ is overly burdensome; rather, we do get an overwhelmingly positive response from folks who we tell about it for the first time, that's it is faster and more convenient. But you certainly don't have to use it if you don't want to, or can change it to something else in Preferences > General. People who use multiple monitors generally do so by choice, and presumably find the benefits outweigh the ergonomic issues. But it's definitely a matter of personal preference.

• bunny
    bunny
    Community Member

@brenty I've been on the internet a while and 'resurrecting' a thread from 3 months ago is better than starting a new thread with the exact same question. I searched before posting and it took 20 minutes, hence keywords. The answer given didn't include the shortcut, so my post also added value for others who would find this. Just like multiple monitors, people also use 1Password by choice, and I would rather that the best password manager didn't take a single usability step back that goes unnoticed because it is far outweighed by improvements.

You can help by making 1Password as good as it always was in this one regard. A single support enhancement request that gets the same response as the original poster helps no one, a discussion of why this design choice was made can be constructive. I'm open to any reason, the original linked article in the answer made no mention of the browser extension.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bunny: What in particular are you asking for? The only thing you've asked is "What is the behaviour with multiple monitors?" and I'm not sure what you're referring to specifically. If you have a request for a certain feature or change, we can absolutely consider it, if you'll let us know what you have in mind.

• bunny
    bunny
    Community Member

@brenty Sorry, my comment was much later, but the same topic as the original post. “The in-browser extension no longer displays a dropdown menu conveniently located beneath the menu bar icon.”
    The answer was to position the floating window where you want it and it will be remembered. That works if your browser window is always in the same location. I asked what happens with multiple monitors because I haven’t tried that yet, but having the extension window appear on a browser window of a different monitor than where you selected the icon would/should be considered a bug, and in fixing that it would also return the original desired behaviour to display the extension as a dropdown menu. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bunny: Thank you for clarifying. That helps a lot. As mentioned previously, it can be moved anywhere at any time. This was done because the 1Password mini window is not a menu, and in fact also works with things other than the browser now, with more of that to come. For instance, it can match Logins to many popular apps, not just website URLs.

1Password should show up on the active monitor, though I've seen reports in the past with some specific (virtual) devices/drivers result in different behaviour. It sounds like you're referencing a bug that you have not experienced and does not exist, and I'm not sure I know how to respond to that. If you do encounter an issue with 1Password though, please let us know. :)

• bunny
    bunny
    Community Member

@brenty I love 1Password and have switched friends and family. The support is also amazing, usually a forum is community supporting ourselves but the 1Password team is actively here. This is so you know I'm coming from a good place, and I realize you're busy and probably having to jump between subjects, but I need to clear up some facts.

No response required, if you can add it as a feature request that would be great.

The topic title here is "Browser Extension Behavior" the last response that "1Password mini window is not a menu, and in fact also works with things other than the browser now…" is not the topic. The first words of this topic are "The in-browser extension no longer displays a dropdown menu conveniently located beneath the menu bar icon." and so far the reasons given were a link to the 1Password 7 announcement with no mention of the browser extension, and reason why 1Password mini is a window. My only goal is addressing the opening topic of why the browser extension behaviour changed.

"It sounds like you're referencing a bug that you have not experienced and does not exist"
    To clear this up, my one question was "What is the behaviour with multiple monitors?" was a genuine question, following up with "I asked what happens with multiple monitors because I haven’t tried that yet" I can report that I just did try a browser on two monitors, and am happy that the browser extension opens on the monitor where you selected the 1Password browser extension icon on. So no bug, just a usability downgrade.

My guess is, the dropdown behaviour was not available on all browsers and platforms, so it was changed for everyone. My response that that would be that I have had 10 years of consistency on the Mac where 1Password was born, it can be inconsistently better on Mac. I understand that could not be the reason, that's why I said "my guess" presenting a use case while trying to anticipate objections- unless you were present when that design/engineering decision was made or just made by default, then there is nothing to add.

The images are a screenshot of a 27" iMac screen.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bunny - no worries! We always assume people are "coming from a good place," so we don't have any suspicions about you. I understand your distinction, but what's been getting lost in this communication so far is that the browser extension you're referring to has always been and remains little more than a "dumb" conduit between your browser and the mini -- it has no UI of its own, so when you click that button, you ARE calling the mini. That's what you see on your screen, both in 1Password 7 for Mac and in previous versions: the 1Password mini.

It wasn't just an arbitrary decision, and the reason wasn't to match features with other platforms on which 1Password is available. It was done, as brenty mentions, because Apple have started laying the groundwork for interaction with apps themselves, not just browsers. Up to now, the only native apps we could interact with on your Mac were whatever browsers you have installed. That's becoming no longer the case. As brenty mentioned, we can now find passwords for a number of Apple apps (and a few others). Try it with iTunes: launch iTunes, then click the 1Password mini in your Mac's menubar -- you'll see it appear with your Apple IDs already selected. This doesn't do much more than that currently, but in the not-too-distant future, it will be a game-changer on your Mac, and it won't be limited to your browser(s), which is why we've anticipated this change by making the mini (whether invoked from the keyboard, from clicking the mini in your Mac's menubar, or from clicking the browser extension) a floating window rather than tethered to the browser: because it wouldn't make much sense to have to go looking for it there if you were searching for a password in iTunes or another app. Hope this clears things up a bit, and thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts. :)

• bunny
    bunny
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars

Clicking on the 1Password mini icon in the menu bar should generate a drop down.
    Clicking on the 1Password mini icon as the browser extension should drop down from where clicked.

There are others reporting days ago this behaviour with the word "hate" I'm not spending more time collecting every complaint.
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/479151#Comment_479151

Click on any icon in your menu bar, it is a drop down menu.
    Any browser icon selected, results in a in window action. If the icon is not navigation, it is a drop down menu e.g. the share icon.
    "Display a menu—not a popover—when the user clicks your menu bar extra." Apple Guidelines

John Gruber makes my point better than I ever could. "Software no longer needs to be Mac-like to succeed on the Mac today. That’s a tragedy." https://daringfireball.net/2018/12/electron_and_the_decline_of_native_apps

After I spend hours of my time explaining what should have never happened in the first place, I was being nice, but this isn't so much a request as Apple specifically saying "not a popover" and a popover (attached dropdown, like Fantastical in the menu bar) would be great in this case. 1Password mini is not doing a menu or a popover, it is opening a window. This is notice that your design team needs to RTFM.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Clicking on the 1Password mini icon in the menu bar should generate a drop down.

Why? As Lars mentioned already, 1Password mini is its own thing. It's not a menu.

Clicking on the 1Password mini icon as the browser extension should drop down from where clicked.

Again, not a menu. There's no need to tether it somewhere artificially.

There are others reporting days ago this behaviour with the word "hate" I'm not spending more time collecting every complaint.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/479151#Comment_479151

Yep. People hate change. And people on the internet like to talk about how much they hate things. I guess it's cathartic or something.

Not "any", at least not on my Mac. But again, those are menus. 1Password mini is not a menu.

Any browser icon selected, results in a in window action. If the icon is not navigation, it is a drop down menu e.g. the share icon.

"Display a menu—not a popover—when the user clicks your menu bar extra." Apple Guidelines

Those menu guidelines are relevant to menus.

John Gruber makes my point better than I ever could. "Software no longer needs to be Mac-like to succeed on the Mac today. That’s a tragedy." https://daringfireball.net/2018/12/electron_and_the_decline_of_native_apps

He's a smart guy. But he's talking about something else entirely (which is even clear from the URL). It's kind of rude to take people out of context and use them for your own purposes.

After I spend hours of my time explaining what should have never happened in the first place, I was being nice, but this isn't so much a request as Apple specifically saying "not a popover" and a popover (attached dropdown, like Fantastical in the menu bar) would be great in this case. 1Password mini is not doing a menu or a popover, it is opening a window. This is notice that your design team needs to RTFM.

I don't see where you've been nice at all, and you just seem to be getting less nice. If you're not going to be civil, you can leave.

• bunny
    bunny
    Community Member

I take offence that I misrepresented what someone else meant. Half of the article is about Word 6.0, a native Mac application that is offered as a canonical example of something users rejected, a quote describes users not finding it "Mac-like".

The problem is, the users who really care about good native apps — users who know HIG violations when they see them, who care about performance, who care about Mac apps being right — were mostly already on the Mac. A lot of newer Mac users either don’t know or don’t care about what makes for a good Mac app. -Daring Fireball

The first quote I thought conveyed the overall sentiment better, but this reference to the HIG is specifically relevant.

From the same HIG (Human Interface Guidelines from Apple) in the section covering icons on the top right of the menu bar called Menu Bar Extras which I also directly linked above.

-the first picture seen after following the link

-1Password 6 mini, a Menu Bar Extra icon. 1Password 7 did not change location.

This was me coming to the forums seeking to understand if there was a reason for the change, before doing anything. I did that, and will leave.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bunny

This was me coming to the forums seeking to understand if there was a reason for the change

I thought I explained the reason, but I'll do my best to answer any further questions about it you might have.

On my Mac, neither Spotlight nor Siri are drop-down menus. Either that's not the case on your Mac, or Apple need to "RT" their own "M," I guess? ;) The point is: this isn't biblical canon.

I did that, and will leave.

I'm not sure whether you meant leave the forum, or leave 1Password altogether, but if you find the lack of adherence to a standard that Apple themselves do not adhere to, to be a deal-breaker for you, then I guess we'll have to wish you well in your search for an alternative password management solution, since I don't think we'll be changing this behavior. However, as long as you're using something besides sticky notes or an Excel spreadsheet, we'll be glad. Stay safe out there! :)

• bunny
    bunny
    Community Member

Sending some love to 1Password!

If you complain when things can be better, you should praise when they are.

For anyone finding this, 1Password released a big update today that among other things displays a menu bar and browser drop down as convent as ever.

Thanks 1Password team!

• Thanks very much @bunny! It is great to hear you're enjoying 7.3. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.