sync wlan server failure iOS / macOS

Options
nandkv
nandkv
Community Member

Sync fails continuously on the iOS with consistent timeout using WLAN server. All the guides on the site have been followed to review the WLAN server setup and troubleshooting issues.

iOS version: 12.0
macOS version: 10.13.6 / High Sierra
Desktop 1Password version: 6.8.9
iOS App Version: 7.0

So far the following things have been done:
1) Restart MAC and IOS
2) Restart Wi-Fi
3) Erase data and erase cloud data
4) Uninstall and reinstall 1password app on iOS

The sync just shows syncing on primary and is not showing any additional vaults as well. Over the last day it has constantly trying to sync with no success.

Support Id: #NRT-17523-446

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6 / High Sierra
Sync Type: WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:sync wlan server

Comments

• hokiepaul
    hokiepaul
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same issue. IOS 12.0, MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6, Desktop 7.0, IOS 7.2.

• hokiepaul
    hokiepaul
    Community Member
    Options

I've noticed both my iPhone and iPad apps start syncing the moment my Mac is opened yet the 1password program on the Mac is not open.

• Hi @hokiepaul

Thank you for providing your support ID. I’ve closed that ticket so that we can proceed here. For the future unless requested otherwise please pick one support channel per issue. Contacting us via multiple channels has a good chance of causing a duplication of efforts which slows down the support process for everyone.

Are you saying that once you log in on the Mac syncing via the WLAN server works correctly? If so that is the expected behavior. 1Password mini needs to be running as you in order for the WLAN server to operate. It only does that while you’re logged in. The main application does not need to be open — just 1Password mini.

Ben

• nandkv
    nandkv
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Sorry for the duplicate request, only reason that I submitted was that I was seeing no response on the support ticket.

Right now the WLAN sync from Mac to iPhone does not work with any of the vaults including the primary. It just spins on sync and even if you leave it overnight it doesn't update the information.

It is non-functional.

• I understand, and I apologize for the delay. Our support team is very busy and while we usually aim to respond to everyone within 24 hours the average now has become about 48-72 hours. With the WLAN server there are a lot of variables that come into play, and as such it is:

1) Considered and advanced option
    2) Not generally something we recommend

That said I’d highly recommend running through our troubleshooting guide:

If you're having trouble using the WLAN server | 1Password

The whole guide is important but in particular I’d suggest paying close attention to the section on setting up an ad hoc Wi-Fi network. Doing so will rule your local network in or out as the cause of the difficulty. Please let me know how you make out.

Ben

• hokiepaul
    hokiepaul
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply, Ben. The WLAN server does not work properly. The IPhone keeps syncing but never finishes. I’ve used the WLAN server method for several years successfully. The only things that have changed since my last sync is upgrading to 1Password 7 on the Mac and IOS12 on the phone.

• nandkv
    nandkv
    Community Member
    Options

I second @hokiepaul comment that the only thing that changed in how WLAN sync used to work is the upgrade to iOS12. It almost seems like no one tested the WLAN server sync for iOS 12. I am using 1Password 6.8.9 version v/s 1Password 7.0 version that @hokiepaul is using.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just tested on iOS 12 and macOS 10.13.6 (I do not have Mojave on this machine to test, and I'm mobile at the moment).

It is working fine here. All 3 of the local vaults I have for testing purposes are syncing properly. It stops syncing after it finishes as well.

Are you sure it's still syncing or is the icon just animating to indicate it's syncing? In the past we've had issues where the Sync icon in Settings (on iOS) will keep spinning but if you go into the Sync pane it'll show it as not syncing.

• nandkv
    nandkv
    Community Member
    Options

I had High Sierra until yesterday and now have Mojave and it is still the same. I do have 5 vaults and most of the items do have attachments as well. Here is what I usually see.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nandkv

We can only do so much with WLAN sync. It's so often broken due to network configuration and that's simply outside the scope of what our support can provide. That said, please recreate this and then send a diagnostics report

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

You should then get back an auto response email, it'll contain a ticket mask or ticket ID. Please respond back with that mask/id so I can locate it. I'll take a look at things and see if it's something obvious. But if this boils down to network configuration I'm afraid you'll be on your own.

• nandkv
    nandkv
    Community Member
    Options

@AGKyle I have been using 1Password for last 5 years and using the same router over the last 5 years so I do know that it is not a network configuration issue and the fact that it is an issue for more than one user also supports that.

I will send the diagnostics information as requested.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2018
    Options

Thanks. Please let us know what support ID you get back from BitBot.

To be clear: this occurred the same way while connected to the ad hoc Wi-Fi network?

Ben

ref: NRT-17523-446

• nandkv
    nandkv
    Community Member
    Options

@AGKyle [#SRF-71717-224] 1Password for iOS Diagnostics Report

@Ben this is not using ad hoc wifi network. I would try that after I get home but I think the first step would be to look at the current state rather than introducing a new state that is not the norm.

• nandkv
    nandkv
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben tried with adhoc network as suggested and the same issue with the same behavior.

[#CKU-75963-681] 1Password for iOS Diagnostics Report

• nandkv
    nandkv
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

@Ben @AGKyle if possible please review this with priority since I currently am dead in the water since none of my vaults are able to sync. I did look at other options and iCloud is one I could choose but that supports only syncing primary vault.

• Conversation continuing via email. Thanks. :)

Ben

• @hokiepaul,

Could you also please send us diagnostic reports from each of your devices?

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/95958/sync-wlan-server-failure-ios-macos#latest
    • Your forum username: hokiepaul

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• hokiepaul
    hokiepaul
    Community Member
    Options

Ben - the support ID for the IPhone is #UNL-91398-945. I’m not at home so can’t send Mac for a while.

• Thanks @hokiepaul. We can get started with that.

Ben

ref: UNL-91398-945

• hokiepaul
    hokiepaul
    Community Member
    Options

Ben - I replied to your email about deleting the IOS app, redownloading and the choosing WLAN option instead of 1Password account. I did this, but the app now shuts down every time I picked WLAN. This is, of course, a major issue since I no longer have passwords on my phone.

• I’ve replied to your email. Let’s continue the conversation there. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.