Why was auto-submit removed? [Intentional; auto-submit not returning]

Options

Comments

• Hi all,

We have updated the 1Password 7.2 for Mac release notes with this important information:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7

Thank you for your feedback on this.

Ben

• echoparkbaby
    echoparkbaby
    Community Member
    Options

While I understand technically why you've removed it, I want the ability to choose whether I want this feature enabled or disabled. I bought the software because it autosubmits, it's always autosubmitted, which is why it makes logging into sights so effortless. Removing this feature doesn't sit right with me. I'm not a fan of purchasing software that has always worked one way to have a key feature (in my opinion) stripped out in a point release. I've been a LOYAL user for years and make sure all of my clients use the software, but now I'm afraid you'll take out another feature I like and tell me "I'll get used to it".

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

I am in the same opinion
    Too much security becomes annoying, as if we were kids
    When I was young I went on my bicycle or skateboard without knee pads and an helmet and I am still alive and fine

make it an option for people who like high security

meanwhile I'll stick with 7.0.7 which has autosubmit, as I see no major "improvements" with 7.2

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

The autosubmit feature in 1PW relied on functionality that Apple is actively removing for security purposes. We may wish that wasn't the case but it is what it is. The problem is that because Apple is actively tinkering with the underlying mechanism this feature utilizes it is now inherently unreliable. That is why some users are reporting that it still works in their configurations and other users say it doesn't. It makes no business sense for AgileBits to leave this in place given the influx of support cases it will undoubtedly generate for the many users it won't work for reliably simply to accommodate the few users who can't bring themselves to simply press the Return key. And I totally get it as a longtime 1PW user. The autosubmit feature was usability gold. So while I'm disappointed to see it go I certainly understand that Apple has put AgileBits in bind here.

• @echoparkbaby

I'm sorry but we won't be adding a preference for auto-submit. As discussed above Mojave won't allow for it anyway. I understand your perspective about removing features but unfortunately in some cases that is a necessary evil, and it isn't as if we've done so arbitrarily. If you were to try to use auto-submit on Mojave you'd get an error message like this:

Thanks.

Ben

• echoparkbaby
    echoparkbaby
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Well, at least now I know where to send my hate mail. 1 Infinity Loop! Reminds me of when Apple released FCP X and said we were editing wrong this whole time! They know best, apparently.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@echoparkbaby - Heh. By all means, let 'em know. But maybe go a little easy on them. As the recipients of plenty of complaints over the years from people lamenting the sunset of this or that cherished item, it's not always as easy as it seems. No program (or even OS) can be all things to all people, and if I had a dollar for every "just add a checkbox/preference/toggle for (my preferred feature)," I'd have quite a few bucks, and 1Password would be a UI nightmare. Just something to keep in mind.

• loudestnoise
    loudestnoise
    Community Member
    Options

😂😂😂

Super sad about auto-submit. ⌘ + \ + Return it is now I guess.

• Sorry about that @loudestnoise.

Ben

• CamJN
    CamJN
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add that auto-submit can work just fine in the Firefox extension, as you can add code after the password is filled to either submit the form that the password field is part of or fall back to sending the password field a keypress event with the "enter" key set; all via js. This works in every case I've tried. The agile bits folks would likely get mad at me for telling you exactly where to add the js to the extension to do so, as I'd have to include some of theier code here for context (it's minified so line-numbers aren't useful) but nothing's stopping you or them from adding it yourselves.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    Options

Autosubmit has been gone for iCloud access for some time — even on High Siera with IP7 7.1.2 and extension 4.7.3. TWO returns are required,

It has been good training for the new way.

The primary use of 1PW is remembering and accurate entry of long strong passwords so one or two taps or returns is inconsequential in the greater scheme of things.

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

1Password: 7.2.1
    1Password Mini: 4.7.3.90

Prior to the new versions of 1P mini would fill a web form and login. This no longer happens.
    The new version fills the form and sits on the login page until I manually click the login button.

Has something changed? Is there setting I need to change?

UPDATE:

OK, I was unaware that "clicking" is actually the auto-submit feature.

I see that the release notes for 7.2 were amended to add:
    Autosubmit, which has become quite fragile due to some modern security improvements in macOS, has been retired.

Putting this statement at the bottom of the "Fixed" section is not sufficient! You should highlight what many consider a major change in functionality at the top of your notes with a bold heading like the mention about dark mode.

I also see a thread here about this issue: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/95986/why-was-auto-submit-removed-intentional-auto-submit-not-returning#latest

1Password Version: 7.2.1
    Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
    OS Version: 10.14
    Sync Type: iCloud

• danielharvey
    danielharvey
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Missing the (optional) auto-submit feature

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CamJN - I won't comment on the possibility of creating DIY processes for re-establishing auto-submit, because frankly, I'm sure there are probably a few ways to do it, which our users are more than welcome to try if they wish -- but mostly because it's outside of the scope of what we do here: what I can say is that auto-submit as an official part of 1Password is gone and will very likely not be coming back.

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

I see that the release notes for 7.2 were amended to add:
    Autosubmit, which has become quite fragile due to some modern security improvements in macOS, has been retired.

Putting this statement at the bottom of the "Fixed" section is not sufficient! You should highlight what many consider a major change in functionality at the top of your notes with a bold heading like the mention about dark mode.

• Hi @lysander ,

Thanks for the feedback on the release notes. I'll pass that along.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

I have to say, I've updated 1Password today (had the standalone for years, changed to subscription some months ago), and I like to read the release notes. Seeing the autosubmit removal notice, at the end, in the FIXED section, that didn't feel good at all. Felt like this was very important, but put at the end so that most people don't notice it. Probably I'm wrong, but that was my feeling. I've lost also like many others a very practical tool, even if I understand why this is happening. I think this should be much more clearly stated for current and potential new users. That's the minimum to be done.

In my case also, after the few first minutes wondering if I had hallucinating the release notes, I decided to take this in hand and to add a manual "Return" key to my workflow. It happens that with many of my logins, this doesn't work. I have to find and click on the login button. Huge bummer.

• nickjvturner
    nickjvturner
    Community Member
    Options

I will wade in here just to add my agreement.
    I switched to the family plan because I want to support this app, I think it's great!
    Updating to 1Password 7 and having a core feature like this removed without clearly and loudly warning me before feels a little bit like a betrayal. I totally understand that Apple may be the reason behind this feature ceasing to work. But what about people who have not updated to the latest macOS?
    Why remove the functionality?
    Why not switch it off by default and allow users to enable it again manually?

Currently for me on 10.13.6 Keyboard Maestro is able to step in and fill the gap of hitting the enter key.
    Yes, I agree this is a minor point, but it does have a large impact on the fluid way I interact with 1Password and websites.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @godbout and welcome to the forum, @nickjvturner! We're truly sorry for the inconvenience caused by the departure of auto-submit, and we understand it has come to be an expected part of many users' workflow. At the same time, as you know, it wasn't our choice to make no matter what we thought of it; Apple have removed this option for us. As it happens, however, we DO agree with it, for a number of reasons. It's one of the main ways some malware installs itself and wreaks its havoc on people -- a simulated return-key press. And as much as it was whiz-bang cool to be able to double-click an item in the main 1Password window and watch it 1) open your browser 2) fill in the URL and visit your saved login page 3) fill your credentials and 4) "press 'login'" and sign you in without you having to make even a single additional keystroke, if you look at that process globally, the removal of auto-submit in the vast majority of cases still does all those things except the very last. And that last one - actually physically pressing the return key - requires a single additional keypress from users. 1Password for iOS, due to similar OS-enforced limitations, has never had auto-submit, and we've all managed to adapt to that. 1Password X does not have it either, for similar reasons. Yes, one step of a very convenient process has been removed in the interest of greater overall threat protection -- but as you, @nickjvturner, allude to, if auto-submit is as missed or as critical to your own workflow as you say, there are DIY methods of using locally-enabled/authorized helper apps/scripts to do the same thing. My guess is there are a number of ways/apps/scripts that could be used to set up such a replacement process, but it's beyond the scope of what we do here to provide instructions or encouragement for circumventing a newly-established OS rule/safeguard. I hope you understand. :)

• nickjvturner
    nickjvturner
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Lars
    Thank you for your response! Very much appreciated!

Consider me a mostly satisfied customer :) .

On a side note, the iOS 12 implementation of accessing credentials within 1Password from the keyboard is extremely efficient!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nickjvturner - you're quite welcome. :) Glad I was able to help, and thanks for the kind words -- I'm glad you like iOS 12's password auto-fill. Worth noting that was also an Apple-led thing; without them granting access to 3rd party password management tools like us, this wouldn't have been possible -- so Apple giveth and Apple taketh away, if you look at it in a certain light. :)

• dmkahn
    dmkahn
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Just noticed logins not auto-submitting with 7.2.1 and mojave and couldn't find the auto-submit preference.

Did I miss the announcement about this change?

Apparently granting accessibility access is no longer an option to get it back.

• slboettcher
    slboettcher
    Community Member
    Options

OMG people. You buy and use 1Pass for security and you're bitching at Agile for this? Release notes was a miss and I thought it was a bug but I've used it as long as anyone and I got used to it in a couple days.
    Apple are changing things due to security. People don't like getting IDs stolen. All this might make old habits harder to break but Jesus! I'm 57 and can and so can you.

/Rant

• danielharvey
    danielharvey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback and explanations @Lars. Appreciated.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

See several other threads on this issue. Apple have made changes that prevent auto-submit being used, for security reasons. You will just have to get used to pressing Return as an extra step.

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars, no worries. I understand the reason why it's being removed. I developed myself and my business is running around development so I totally get it. But I think it's important to let you guys know that even with my expertise, it didn't feel good to see that notice hidden at the end of the release notes, in the "fixed" section. I can get over the lack of autosubmit quickly, the other part feels a bit more shady. That's all :)) Put that as the first message in your release note and I think a lot of people will understand, and appreciate.

For the rest, I'll get over it quickly. Thanks for your product, and your detailed answer.

• LarryJoe33
    LarryJoe33
    Community Member
    Options

I just did a clean install of Mohave and downloaded and installed 1P7. I enabled the safari extension. I can fill the login information, but I don't have an open to auto submit after the fill? It not under preferences/browsers or an option on the safari plugin?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• bobbd
    bobbd
    Community Member
    Options

When I use the Cmd-\ shortcut for filling in password information, the fields are filled but the login/signin button is not automatically pressed. This used to work in El Capitan but stopped working in Mojave. I've tried Firefox and Safari but it made no difference. As far as I can tell, there's no option to specify whether to automatically login or not.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
    Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
    OS Version: macOS 10.14
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Autofill not working in Mojave

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This has been covered in several threads.

A change by Apple for increased security has removed this action. It's not a decision by AgileBits, though it is something they agree with.

You will just have to get used to pressing Return (or clicking Login) after the information is filled.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@LarryJoe33 - I just came here to find out about this surprise too. I'm sure, if you start a few posts above your own, that you will find out what's going on and why.

This discussion has been closed.