Why was auto-submit removed? [Intentional; auto-submit not returning]

Options

Comments

• rmpel
    rmpel
    Community Member
    Options

for Captcha, or TFA for that matter, there was always the option to turn auto-submit off for an item.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

True, but not everyone knew about that. Turning it off for individual logins was kind of a pain and not super discoverable. :blush:

• johnnywoz
    johnnywoz
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Sounds like there needs to be a Blog post to explain the sunsetting of the autosubmit feature

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not sure what it would say. :lol:

• MacSupport
    MacSupport
    Community Member
    Options

The blog post:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

A nice tombstone.

But perhaps add "killed by Apple".

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:lol: :+1:

• maus
    maus
    Community Member
    Options

I'm here because I had no idea why auto-submit wasn't working the last couple of weeks and Google had a link down the first page of the results. I've read the reason for discontinuing the feature and I'm totally ok with.

What I really wish would happen in the future is that communication of changes like this was way friendlier. I'm pretty good with technology but I can't imagine some of my family members that are not tech savvy being able to figure this out on their own without me. If I'm a bit annoyed that I had to dig through google and forums to learn about the change, I bet my non-geek family members would feel confused and frustrated.

Please think if the non-geek users out here, not everyone reads release notes. The family plan is a great thing but it shouldn't require a tech expert to keep up with changes. A friendly email, pop-up notice or some other obvious "heads-up" would go a long way.

• Ben
    Options

We have a really high bar for causing a popup in the app or mass emailing customers. Doing so tends to generate more negative feedback than something like this change. That said, I do appreciate the perspective that not everyone can be expected to read release notes. The counter point is that is what they’re there for, and is the best way to learn about what changes to expect in an update.

I’ll definitely continue to brainstorm with the team on this and other future changes to see how we can best balance all of the factors to be considered.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Or would Apple need to allow 1Password to integrate better with Safari on MacOS like they do on iOS?

We would need an API to integrate with this feature on the Mac like what came with iOS 12 in order for this to be meaningful for us.

Ben

• clancularius
    clancularius
    Community Member
    Options

This happens every time there's an upgrade. Was set up so when triggering password field filling through the browser apps it would auto-enter. Now it just fills the field and doesn't auto-enter. You have to click on whatever version of an enter button the site has. I can't find the setting required to go back to my preference. Annoying that it happens every time there's an upgrade.

Clan

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Ben
    Options

@akent35

You're not wrong, but fortunately 1Password's release notes are much more brief than the contract for purchasing a vehicle.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@clancularius

Auto-submit is no longer a feature that is possible as of macOS Mojave / 1Password 7.2. I've merged your thread with another on the same subject. Please see the discussion above.

Ben

• clancularius
    clancularius
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. I'm sorry it wasn't more obvious this was an intentional change.

Ben

• tim_kite
    tim_kite
    Community Member
    Options

I think a good analogy for this whole thing is its 1Password's headphone jack. It was a feature everyone used, had a few minor problems, and was pulled because it got in the way. Some of the community likes the decision, most don't care, and some are upset enough about it to stay on older versions or create even wilder hacks to keep the feature.

The two things that upset me the most about the decision, though, are the claim that Mojave prevents apps from sending keystrokes (my 1Password 6.8.9 install is still happily auto-submitting in Mojave with no modifications), and the fact that not only does the Windows version still auto-submit, it has robust auto-type support, which is arguably a feature I'd much rather have on the Mac side. It's strange to feel like a second class citizen on what is arguably the first class platform for a product. And no I'm not advocating for taking the feature away from Windows to make things even... ;)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tim_kite - it's not Mojave specifically that will prevent auto-submit, but Safari 12. Apple has already removed the ability in Safari 12 for users to install the older .safariextz extensions by downloading them from developers or elsewhere and double-clicking them in the Downloads folder to install into Safari. Right now, the ONLY way to load non-SAE extensions in Safari 12 is via the Safari Extensions Gallery, and Apple plans to sunset that sometime around the end of the year also (no hard date from them yet). That will mean, as soon as it happens, that no older extensions can be freshly installed because (even if you have them saved on your hard drive) you can't install them yourself, and you can't install them from the Safari Extensions Gallery because it won't exist any longer. That will effectively be the end of non-SAE extensions, though I don't know whether Apple will actually disable existing ones you may have at the same time they take the Safari Extensions Gallery offline.

You're entirely correct to note that 1Password for Windows still does indeed have auto-submit, as well as auto-type...but that's more down to the differences between platforms and what's feasible to do on each than it is who's a "first class" or "second class" citizen. 1Password for iOS, for example, also has no auto-submit. Apple's intention has clearly been to remove this ability for security reasons, and given that plus the fact that auto-submit was essentially a hack in macOS (simulating a key-press, which worked great when it worked at all, but which didn't work at all a not-inconsiderable portion of the time) we felt it was time to respect the conventions of the platform and the clear direction of its developer, rather than look for ways to get around them to retain/renew/refresh this feature.

• valderrama
    valderrama
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

So I'm working on a macbook and an iMac, both with the latest macOS. Recently upgraded from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7.

I remember that when I used to use the 1Password extension in Safari it would fill out the credentials and it would 'click' the login button for me (on almost all sites, on some the login button isn't coded properly). Now, after updating/upgrading to 1PAssword 7 it appears the browser extension does not click the login button on any site anymore.

Is this functionality still suppose to work in 1Password 7? Is it still suppose to work on the latest macOS (Mojave) with the latest version of Safari? If so, any suggestion to resolve this?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
    Extension Version: 7.2.1
    OS Version: 10.14
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

No, changes by Apple have removed this possibility in Safari (I think it was the update to Safari 12). You will just have to get used to pressing Return in Safari, or else use Firefox or Chrome.

• valderrama
    valderrama
    Community Member
    Options

That's a pity... but good to know. Thanks

• Mayben
    Mayben
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this problem.

I'm running:
    1Password 7
    Version 7.2.2.BETA-2 (70202002)
    AgileBits Beta

When I go to Preferences > Browsers, I don't have a button marked "Automatically sign-in after filling usernames and passwords". Was this removed on the beta updates?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mayben - no, it was removed globally in all versions of 1Password for Mac, starting with version 7.2.

• Mayben
    Mayben
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars,

Thank you for the quick reply. That was a great feature, any plans to put it back?

Thanks

• Ben
    Options

Autosubmit was removed intentionally and we do not have plans for it to return. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Ben

• Mayben
    Mayben
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben, can you elaborate as to why? It was a great feature. If somebody doesn't like it, they can turn it off.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mayben: That's exactly the topic of this discussion. As mentioned above,

the autosubmit feature has been removed on macOS since it is no longer allowed to send keystrokes due to security concerns. However, in most cases, 1Password can leave the password field focused so you can simply press Return.

• Mayben
    Mayben
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, I didn't realize the thread was 4 pages long! I read the first page and only saw the issues and possible resolutions.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.