Weak passwords?

Options
AndyDo
AndyDo
Community Member

Hi. I've just noticed on my android app that several log-ins have a "weak password" displayed at the top of the page. But the passwords being highlighted are 20 characters long - numbers/letters and symbols - surely not weak!
Ignore?
P.s. tried asking your support yesterday on twitter but got no response so far - but apologies if this is being looked at.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AndyDo: Sorry for the confusion there. There are two possibilities: you've added these passwords to the items yourself (i.e. 1Password did not save generated passwords there itself), or we have a bug somewhere. Are these passwords you made up, or otherwise entered (typing, pasting) into the item yourself?

• AndyDo
    AndyDo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty. That's a good question. I honestly don't recall. Is there anything within 1password that would indicate this? However - I do know many others of my passwords would have been generated by myself then copied in and they don't indicate "weak password"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AndyDo: I figured as much, as I'd also be hard-pressed to recall if you'd asked me the same thing. But it was worth asking. :)

We've made some changes to the password strength calculation, so it should be more accurate now. If you generate a new strong password when saving a login, letting 1Password save it there and not entering it yourself, does that give you a result more like what you'd expect?

• AndyDo
    AndyDo
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for slow reply. So I've tested new passwords by allowing your generator/typing my own straight onto the password line in the app/pasting the externally produced password into the app. None of these methods now produce the "Weak Password" message. I finally tried copying the "offending" passwords back over themselves without any alterations - and voila, message gone!
    Simple enough fix for the few that were affected.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I'm sorry for the trouble there, but glad to hear that you're getting better results using the current version. It's always a work in progress since password strength is pretty subjective, but we're always looking to improve if we can. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.