Upgrading from 1PW 4 to 7 Vault Conversion/Sync Guide

essential
essential
Community Member
edited September 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I searched and couldn't find anything, but I'm wondering if there is a step by step guide on upgrading from a standalone version fo 1PW4 to 1PW7. I was part of the 1PW7 beta and I experienced an issue where I was using 1PW4 and 1PW for iOS synced via DropBox, then added in the 1PW7 beta and was using all three at the same time. 1PW7 converted my vault from a..agilekeychain to a .opvault but I was unaware I needed to manually point my old 1PW4 and 1PW for iOS to this new vault file, so I ended up adding around 20 passwords that weren't being synced between all three.

Now, I have a friend who's doing the same thing, currently using 1PW4 standalone with 1PW for iOS being synced via DropBox. I'm wondering if the are step by step instructions I can send him on how to go about making the changes (upgrading to opvault, pointing old apps to new vault, deleting/moving any old files). For example, even now in my DropBox Apps folder my I still have my .agilekeychain folder with what looks like all my logins (1Password.agilekeychain\data\default). I assume the .opvault is referring the files inside the .agilekeychain folder but I'm not 100% sure I did it correctly. Should I have moved or deleted anything?

Anyway, if there is a step by step guide please point me in the right direction because I don't want to tell him something incorrect.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi @essential,

Thanks for writing in and for helping your friend for us as well.

Here's our guide for upgrading to 1Password 7 for Windows: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-windows/#upgrade-from-1password-4

We've simplified the process in 1Password 7 for Windows; when you add an older agilekeychain folder, we'll let you know that we'll convert it to OPVault in which directory and how to re-enable sync in other apps like so:

For 1Password app on the iOS devices, you go to Settings > Sync, select the vault and then tap on Sync service (Dropbox) to disable the sync. After that, re-enable the Dropbox sync to pick up the new OPVault vault, it'll merge with the existing vault on the iOS device and that should be it.

I hope this helps.

• essential
    essential
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

Thank You. Yes, my 1PW7 didn't convert my 1Password.agilekeychain to a "legacyagilekeychain" so my old apps still worked without issue and I didn't realize at the time.

I'll pass these instructions along. Should I uninstall and reinstall 1PW7 so it reconverts my 1Password.agilekeychain or would simply deleting my current "1Password.opvault" then opening 1PW7 again prompt me to link a vault which would then covert and then follow the process above? My old "1Password.agilekeychain" is still the most current version of my vault.

• Hi @essential,

You don't need to reinstall it, it won't impact the local database. You can either reset the database to start anew with this guide or you can remove the current vault and re-add the original AgileKeychain vault.

To do the former, click the vault selector on top left, click *** next to your vault to select the option to remove the vault (it does not delete the vault itself on drive). Now, you can re-add the original Agile Keychain vault and it should convert it for you. Make sure you don't have the old OPVault in the same directory when you do this, move it to your desktop or trash.

This discussion has been closed.