Finding duplicate 1Password entries and deleting

Options

I don't know how this happened, but for some reason, I have duplicates of all of the items in my 1Password library. Is there a way to delete all duplicate entries? I know I could go through and delete each one individually, but I have over 400 items so this might take awhile.

1Password Version: 7.2.580
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Is there an easy way to see how many duplicate entries you have and delete them?

Comments

• geekay
    geekay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! I am not sure if this is the definitive way to do it, but I know we can bulk delete many items in the vault in one go by: pressing Ctrl and at the same time click the items > then right-click > click "Move to Trash". This way we don't need to delete it one by one individually.

Maybe the 1Password peeps have better and quicker methods to suggest though :)

• Hello, @haygun, welcome to the forum! There may be a quicker method, but to find it, we'd need to figure out how your items ended up duplicated. The most common cause of sudden dupes I see is actually accidentally opening a second vault that is either a) an older version of your existing vault on Dropbox or your PC or adding a new 1Password account that prompts you to automatically migrate your data and not deleting your old vault. Regardless of the exact way that extra got there, a good quick check to find it is to press Ctrl + D in 1Password and look at your vault list. If you see more than one, select each in turn and see if any are free of duplicates. If you find one or more is free of those dupes, you can remove the extra rather than cleaning up items bit by bit.

If you do have an extra, it's also a good idea to double check which has the most recent data. Particularly if you haven't made any changes since you discovered the dupes, a good way to do this is to head back to All Vaults, then sort your items by date modified. This will put the most recently changed item at the top. If you look at that item's details, you can see which vault it is in. Chances are that will be your most recent vault.

Of course, if you've just got a single vault and are still seeing dupes, let me know. We can do some more digging to figure out what went wrong and see if we can't come up with a quicker way to tidy up. :chuffed:

• cinthia
    cinthia
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I too want to know, is there an easier way to find duplicates rather than manually enter searches for hundreds of entries? The answer above seems to focus on duplicate vaults, not entries. Is there a way to "find duplicates" rather than manually searching the names of hundreds of entries? Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cinthia,

If you also have 1Password on your Mac, you can use a built-in tool that might be handy. If you have duplicates in your vault, go to 1Password 7 for Mac > Help > Tools > Clean up duplicate items.

We have plans to implement the same tool in 1Password 7 for Windows, but it is not available yet, so you will have to do it manually. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Let me know if you have any other questions, please let us know. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.