Generated Passwords and the Untagged (Ohne Etikett) section

Philipp
Philipp
Community Member
edited November 2011 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Hello,

I have the German-Language-Version of your program, but I hope I can explain my question correct. Last weekend I have done the update from 3.8 to 3.9. For every login I have an label (called "Etikett" in german-version). Now I have started to change all my passwords and to generate passwords with 1Password for my first time. For every login I can see the history from my last changes.

Now here my question:
If I click to "no label" (called "Ohne Etikett" in german-version) I can see so many logins there. Some of them two or three times. But if I look to the logins all of them have a label. Is this because of the history? Can I delete the data entry there or will I delete with this action also my logins?

Thanks, Philipp

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Philipp,

1Password saves all your Generated Passwords in the similarly named section in the sidebar. They do no harm in the Generated Passwords section, and you can delete them if you wish. The Generated Passwords section is intended to be a safety net, though, so we recommend leaving it intact. You can disable its display in the sidebar if it bothers you (Preferences > General > Display in Sidebar > Generated Passwords), but the items will still show up in the "Untagged" (or, "Ohne Etikett") section. The Generated Passwords are completely separate from your Logins outside of the "Ohne Etikett" section, though. They are not displayed in your browser(s) or the main application in the Logins section (as you noticed).

Password reuse and weak passwords are arguably the most common causes of security breaches. The Generated Passwords solve both problems in one fell swoop, so you are wise to use them. :)

If anyone knows about an abundance of Generated Passwords cluttering up a data file, you can be sure that we at Agile do (with all the testing we constantly perform)! There are too many to worry about. I treat it like my Gmail archive. I never look at it, but I can search it if I ever need to. And I have certainly needed to once or twice after I thought I had saved a login but hadn't. Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I hope that helps explain the situation a bit better. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I almost forgot to specifically address your questions!

Is this because of the history?

I think I explained this above, but the short answer is, "Yes." :)

Can I delete the data entry there or will I delete with this action also my logins?

Since the "Ohne Etikett" ("Untagged") section is generated automatically, the items there are "live". It's not possible to edit the contents of that section independent of the real item(s). The answer to your question is: if you delete an item from the "Ohne Etikett" section, the item will be deleted. (Well, technically moved to the trash.) Try it yourself. You will see this message making it clear what will happen:

20111129-1nis5h8iwppbqdm5tg64c8rqdc.png

But I will bet it won't be in English when you see it. :D
This discussion has been closed.