One-Time passwords different on iOS and MAC, so invalid

MrJamesG
MrJamesG
Community Member

I'm attempting to move away from Google Authenticator to 1Password, specifically so I have a back up on my Mac in case I lose my iPhone.

I have the version 7.1.2 of 1Password app on my Mac, and an up to date 1Password app running on iOS 12.0. Updated yesterday.

I added my Coinbase login first to my Mac (I signed-in and allowed 1Password to save the details). I used my previous Google Authenticator 2FA on my iPhone to sign in on this occasion (no 1PW prompt to save, so nothing saved at this point). I then followed the Coinbase instructions to regenerate my 2FA secret key (https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2488794-troubleshooting-2-step-verification#Authenticator), then using 1Password on my iPhone I added a one-time password field to the Coinbase entry, and scanned the QR code provided by Coinbase. This worked and added this, I was able to enter the one-time password code it generated into Coinbase to complete the process. Back on my Mac, the one-time password field was added to the Coinbase entry in 1Password, great. I then signed out of Coinbase. I also then deleted Coinbase from my Google Authenticator app.

When attempting to use 1PW on my Mac to 'open and fill' Coinbase in my browser, this works and copies the one-time password to the clipboard. However, when I paste in the one-time password and submit it was rejected. Yikes! Thankfully, the one-time password on my iPhone in 1PW did work. Phew! Looking at both at the same time, the one-time password in 1PW on my iPhone is always different to the one on my Mac. The one on my iPhone always works, the one on my Mac never does!

Obviously if this only works on the phone then it's defeated the point in moving to 1PW in the first place – I still don't have a back up if I lose my phone!

I tried regenerating my 2FA secret key on Coinbase again, then removed the one-time password field from 1PW on my iPhone and scanned the QR code again. This re-added the one-time password to both devices again, but again I get the same result.

I have checked both system clocks on my iPhone and Mac are set to auto-update and both use the correct timezone. They are showing the same time.

Should these one-time passwords be the same and work from either device? If so, am I setting this up incorrectly?

Thanks!
James

1Password Version: 7.1.2 =
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 10.13.6 / iOS 12.0
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrJamesG
    MrJamesG
    Community Member

It's just started working – both one-time password numbers are now in sync!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

The commonest reason for this problem (glad it's solved itself) is that the time is slightly off on the device where it is not working.

The one-time password creation does depend on the time shown on the device. If this is more than about thirty seconds off then the code will be wrong.

• Hi @MrJamesG ,

danco is correct. Both iOS and Mac use the same code for generating TOTP so time differences are the likely explanation. It sounds like your devices updated their clocks so the values are the same again.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• MrJamesG
    MrJamesG
    Community Member

Many thanks both. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MrJamesG - glad ag_kevin and @danco were able to assist you. :)

• Argent
    Argent
    Community Member

I have my Mac automatically set the time by timezone. My OTP works from my iPhone for all websites but none of them work on my Mac. I think this started when I upgraded to Mojave. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I don't know why the time would be incorrect when you have it set automatically, but I think it may still be the likely cause. Maybe the Mac doesn't check often enough and the time drifts off between the checks.

I can say that when I had the issue I found that turning off automatic time setting and turning it on again solved the problem. It can't harm to try that.

• Argent
    Argent
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

I tried setting it manually to my iPhone clock and it started working. Then I turned automatic back on and it jumped forward about 15 seconds, but it seems to be working now. ¯ \ (ツ) / ¯

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Argent - glad to hear it! :)

This discussion has been closed.