EU Family Subscriptions via iTunes?

Finke03
Finke03
Community Member

Hello,

would it be possible to pay the family subscription on 1Password.eu via iTunes? How is the process as new subscriber?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Finke03: Apple subscriptions are only available for individual 1Password.com memberships. Billing for 1Password(.com) Families, Teams, Business, as well as 1Password.ca and 1Password.eu, can be setup through the website. Those will be charged in Canadian Dollars and Euros respectively. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

ok, but why will the family subscription offered as InApp purchase in App Store?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Finke03: It's definitely confusing within the limitations of App Store subscriptions. As I mentioned, only 1Password .com memberships can be billed through the App Store, not 1Password.ca or 1Password.eu. It also is not possible to switch account types there. You can, however, sign up for a 1Password.com membership through the app and choose the family plan at that point. I hope that makes it clearer. :)

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Ok.
    So it‘s definitely not possible to pay .eu account via App Store, right. This means that it would not work if I register via Website for an .eu account and after 30 days of trial I prolong via AppStore, right?

I’m asking because currently I’m struggling with my self to go this way and put all my passwords into the cloud (to your servers).
    As you know from my previous posts I feel not so safe as via local sync e.g wifi sync. All the day I have in mind “what will happen in case of 1PW breach”.....
    But anyway I think in future I will do this.

Back to the topic with AppStore purchase: I’m asking again, because I had the idea to use some iTunes cards with some extra credit to safe money. In Germany sometimes iTunes cards will be offered with 20% extra credit.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ok. So it‘s definitely not possible to pay .eu account via App Store, right.

@Finke03: Yes. That is 100% correct, with no confusing "ifs". :lol:

This means that it would not work if I register via Website for an .eu account and after 30 days of trial I prolong via AppStore, right?

Correct. You'd need to setup billing through the website in that case.

I’m asking because currently I’m struggling with my self to go this way and put all my passwords into the cloud (to your servers). As you know from my previous posts I feel not so safe as via local sync e.g wifi sync. All the day I have in mind “what will happen in case of 1PW breach”..... But anyway I think in future I will do this.

If it helps (and I think it should), 1Password always encrypts your data locally on your device, using the "keys" which only you have, and which are never transmitted to us. So 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data, and the only way for someone to access your data would be to get your Secret Key and Master Password from you, even if they managed to steal the encrypted data from our server. If you have questions about any of that, be sure to let us know. :)

Back to the topic with AppStore purchase: I’m asking again, because I had the idea to use some iTunes cards with some extra credit to safe money. In Germany sometimes iTunes cards will be offered with 20% extra credit.

I'm with you there. I do the same thing. But think of it this way: you can probably find plenty of other stuff to spend those on. ;)

Otherwise, you can absolutely sign up for a 1Password.com membership through the app instead, and you'll be able to pay through the App Store using your gift cards. Or get gift cards from us to save some money that way. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@Finke03: Just a followup, after discussing this with a colleague. It may actually be possible to apply an App Store subscription to a 1Password.eu account. I can't confirm it definitively, and it's something that's fraught, but there's no harm in trying. You'd need to sign up for the account through the website but not setup billing. When you sign into the account in 1Password for Mac or 1Password for iOS, you may still get the option to subscribe there (in Preferences/Settings > Accounts), though I can't promise it will actually work. But worst case scenario, if it doesn't, you can just setup billing through the website as we discussed above. Also, the subscription option within the app is only monthly. So you'd need to then manage it through your Apple ID if you want to change to annual billing instead. I'm sorry it's so confusing. Hopefully there will be more flexibility with App Store subscriptions in the future.

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    thanks for the update.

Also, the subscription option within the app is only monthly. So you'd need to then manage it through your Apple ID if you want to change to annual billing instead.

Does it mean, that I have to pay on monthly rate and than login during the first month into the Apple ID and change to annually?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Does it mean, that I have to pay on monthly rate and than login during the first month into the Apple ID and change to annually?

@Finke03: That's correct. However, if you switch from a monthly to annual App Store subscription during the free trial, before you're billed at all, it will be more seamless.

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

I did it! After struggling with my self a long time, I created a 1PW EU Account and moved all my items to your service. Hopefully it is so safe as all of you mentioned.

I followed the above steps and currently I’m in the 30 days trial, after that it should be prolonged via apple purchase.
    Let’s wait, but it looks like that the above procedure will work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Finke03: Glad to hear it! And indeed, security is our first priority too. We wouldn't be comfortable putting a big "hack me" sign on ourselves, so fundamental to 1Password's security model is we never have the "keys" to 1Password users' data -- it's all encrypted locally on your device using a Master Password you choose, the Secret Key which was generated randomly on your device during signup, and neither of those is ever sent to us. I hope this helps. But if you have any other questions along the way let me know! :)

This discussion has been closed.