1Password Updater remains in Dock after manually checking for updates

Options
billj
billj
Community Member

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) running a clean install of macOS 10.14 Mojave. 1Password 7.2.1 set to automatically check for updates but not automatically install updates. When I manually Check for Updates using the 1Password 7 menu, 1Password Updater appears in the Dock. But after I click OK in the You Are Up to Date dialog box, the dialog box goes away, but 1Password Updater remains in the Dock until I manually drag it out. Quitting 1Password doesn't help. Restarting computer doesn't help. (I even started in Safe Boot mode, hoping the Apple diagnostics and repair would help. It didn't.)

Have other users experienced this behavior?

I am not seeing this behavior on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) running macOS 10.12.6 Sierra and 1Password 7.1.2. (The 1Password Updater, by the way, says this computer is up to date. 1Password Updater on this machine did not see version 7.2, nor does it see 7.2.1.) On this computer, 1Password is also set to automatically check for updates but not automatically install updates.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.0
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@billj You're seeing a nice little addition to Mojave brought over from iOS. The Dock now has three sections, the new one is a recent apps section. Launch three different apps (that are not already permanent on the Dock) and you'll see them stay in the Dock until you launch another. It's customizable in Sys Prefs. hth

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

@vplewis D'oh! You are right. Thank you. I didn't notice the additional "divider" in the Dock.

Plus I got confused since the "retained" app is one that performs a transitory function and I wouldn't expect it to remain in the Dock.

I wonder if developers can set a "flag" to prevent apps like 1Password Updater from remaining in the recent applications section of the Dock?

In case anyone reading wants to turn off this feature: System Preferences > Dock > Show recent applications in Dock.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billj - yep, this is a new feature in Mojave. Glad @vplewis' explanation helped, and thanks for the tip for other users. :)

• rudy
    edited October 2018
    Options

@billj,

Sadly 7.2.1 includes just that flag, specifically the NSWorkspaceLaunchWithoutAddingToRecents flag. It would seem that while the Apple menu's recent applications list does respect that flag, the Dock does not.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    Options

@bill - will you file a bug report?

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

@xz4gb8 I’m not a developer, but I trust that @rudy or another member of the 1Password team will file the big report. Seems that Apple overlooked something... I hope that’s all this is. ;-)

And @rudy , thank you for your post.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Disabling the feature in System Preferences > Dock works for me...but actually it's kind of growing on me. :)

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member
    Options

Just installed 10.14.1 and noticed the 1Password Updater in the dock. Thanks for the explanation of why it is there.

When I click on the Updater I get the message box saying "Update Failed" followed by "Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application." and a Quit button. Launching 1Password 7 works though and I can see its version. Is there a problem with the 1Password Updater?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ozarkcanoer - no. It's functioning correctly -- the 1Password updater that you see in the dock should never be accessible directly in the way that it is. It's a small, separate application whose only function is to update your version of 1Password after one has been found via checking for it. Accessing the updater directly by double-clicking it to launch "short-circuits" this process.

Like most software, the recommended, built-in way to check for updates is to use a menu item in the application itself. In the case of 1Password, that item is 1Password > Check for Updates. You can also use Preferences > Updates > Check Now. When you use either of those two methods, the main 1Password app will launch the separate updater app and report its installed version to the updater, which will then check it against what is reported as the newest version on the server. If the updater finds a newer version on the server, it will do its only task: download the new version, quit the existing version you have currently running, install the new one, and quit itself.

But when you double-click the updater directly, this process will fail because the updater doesn't have know the currently installed version of 1Password you have installed. In a properly-initiated update check (from within 1Password), the updater is expecting to receive that info (installed version) from 1Password: the current version is reported by the main 1Password app to the updater, which then checks against the server. So, when you double-click the updater directly, that part of the process that's supposed to happen is bypassed, and you (will always) get the "Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application" error.

The only reason you can see the updater icon in the Dock is because of macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”)'s new "Recent Applications" feature in the Dock. The updater IS a small, separate application, so that apparently counts (see rudy's comment above about why), and when you've recently checked (automatically or manually) for updates in the correct way, you'll see the updater in the Recent Applications section of the Dock until you open enough other applications (2 or 3) to bump the updater out of "recent."

The recommended method of checking for updates is still what it has always been: from within 1Password. And clicking the updater itself will always fail if done directly. Just...don't click it. If it really bothers you, you can turn off the "Show recent applications in the Dock" feature of Mojave in System Preferences > Dock.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I understand now. I've just turned off the dock's recent apps presentation.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars and others. If one is really bothered, just click-and-drag it out of the Dock until it reads "Remove"--until the next time the updater runs.hth

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's what I do with quite a few apps, actually. Maybe I should disable that feature. :lol:

• Keifer
    Keifer
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

@Lars

Surely, there must be another long-term solution that doesn't involve simply disabling the 'Recent Apps' in the dock feature introduced in MacOS Mojave... I quite like this feature, but it's really annoying to constantly see a recent app in that list that cannot be clicked or accessed in the traditional way (which is the sole purpose of this MacOS feature - a shortcut to more quickly open recently launched apps).

I'd argue there needs to be a way to exclude this as a recent app (which may require a flag and/or development coordination with Apple) or the updater should be re-designed / re-engineered such that the 1Password updater does not exist as a separate app, meaning that when 1Password is updated, the 1Password (main) app icon is what shows in the 'recent apps' list. Admittedly, this would require effort and time, but I'd argue is a much more elegant solution long-term.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned a flag that can be set that Apple's recent app functionality in the dock doesn't seem to recognize - is the behavior of this flag something that could be communicated to Apple such that the recent apps dock respects the flag to exclude it from showing.

Or (better yet), allow this app on the MacOS App Store > Updates feature to update the app like every other app on the Mac App Store...? Elegant. Seamless. Consistent with the means of updating all other apps on the MacOS App Store ;-D

Having the updater exist as a separate app that updates in a method not consistent with the MacOS App Store apps feels very clunky and inelegant, and I'd argue the 'Recent Apps' in the dock is just the secondary negative side effect due to the existing decision/design the way 1Password updates on the Mac today. Maybe the problem isn't Apple's Recent Apps feature, but rather this feature is just bringing this subpar design front and center with MacOS showing it as a separate app?

As an IT professional, this is annoying at best and very confusing at worst - my wife, who isn't familiar with technology at all, always thinks there's a problem with 1Password updating because of this; based on this thread, I'm going to go out on a limb and say she isn't the only one who's thought this, causing some user friction and frusration.

I also realize it's a lot easier to be an 'armchair' developer to point out things without having to do the necessary research, development, effort, and investment to change them, but hey - I'm a paying subscriber and I feel like I'm entitled to feedback to try and make the software experience better ;-D

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'd argue there needs to be a way to exclude this as a recent app (which may require a flag and/or development coordination with Apple) or the updater should be re-designed / re-engineered such that the 1Password updater does not exist as a separate app, meaning that when 1Password is updated, the 1Password (main) app icon is what shows in the 'recent apps' list. Admittedly, this would require effort and time, but I'd argue is a much more elegant solution long-term.

@Keifer: That's not a bad idea. But it would be up to Apple to offer a way to exclude apps from "Recent Apps". As far as I can tell there isn't currently a way to do that, and it isn't something we could change in the OS ourselves. Maybe they'll end up doing that though.

Or (better yet), allow this app on the MacOS App Store > Updates feature to update the app like every other app on the Mac App Store...? Elegant. Seamless. Consistent with the means of updating all other apps on the MacOS App Store ;-D

Only apps in the App Store can be updated by the App Store. This isn't something we could "allow" for the website version of 1Password. You could, however, use the Mac App Store version with a 1Password.com membership. Cheers! :)

• cmnyc
    cmnyc
    Community Member
    Options

Please fix this. Other applications, such as Microsoft Outlook also launch a separate 'updater' application, but there's doesn't stick in the recently run area of the dock once you close it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cmnyc - thanks for weighing in.

This discussion has been closed.