Vault backups when using Family

Options
davinderm
davinderm
Community Member

I'm thinking of migrating from a standalone license to the family plan.

When using the family plan, my data gets synced with agilebits. I'm afraid of accidentally deleting an account or disassociating a user from the family and the data disappearing. If I'm signed up with the family plan, is my vault still on my Mac/Windows computers and therefore can be backed-up and recovered later?

What is the fail-safe for my data when it's stored via Agilebits?

I can't afford to lose a vault with all my data.

Thanks,
Davinder

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arkatis
    arkatis
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also interested on that topic...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davinderm: Thanks for getting in touch! You'd really have to be trying to delete your account to do so: signing in, going to your account Settings page, clicking the BIG RED BUTTON that says "Permanently Delete Your Account", and then continue with the warning and confirmation. So it's not something that happens "accidentally".

Deleting data in your account though is incredibly easy. That sounds scary, but with automatic offsite backup for your account and the item history, you can restore deleted items or even revert to a previous version of one of them. We don't want to lose data either, so we've put in a number of failsafes to prevent it from happening, and help you recover from it. With 1Password.com, even if all of your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, you just need to sign into your account to get your data again. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• arkatis
    arkatis
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any way to store a local ENCRYPTED backup of all my data which is on 1password.com? It would be nice, if I can automate the "offline backup" routine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arkatis: Nothing automated, no. We really don't want to assume that people will backup their own data. Because, frankly, we know from experience that the vast majority don't, and then we hear from them only when they are already screwed. :( So 1Password.com handles this. If you want to, you can export an OPVault or 1PIF to an encrypted disk image. You'll need to save any Documents files there too. But if disaster strikes, your local backup will likely be wiped out as well. So it's not something we recommend.

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member
    Options

If you want to, you can export an OPVault or 1PIF to an encrypted disk image.

Does it mean, that I can export to OPVault from time to time and store it as backup on my disk? Would it be possible to import from that exported OPVault in case of total locked out from account e.g. secret key lost? In that case I can delete my complete account and import the backed up OPVault file which I can unlock with my Master Password, right?

You'll need to save any Documents files there too

Does it mean that the attachments/documents are not part of the exported OPVault and needs to be backed up separately?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Does it mean, that I can export to OPVault from time to time and store it as backup on my disk?

@Finke03: You can copy your data from a 1Password.com account vault to a local OPVault, and then sync that with a folder of your choosing. But keep in mind that 1Password always has an internal database with all vaults on your local drive.

Would it be possible to import from that exported OPVault in case of total locked out from account e.g. secret key lost?

I don't see the point. If you're already signed into the app, your data will still be there. You just won't be able to sign into new devices without your account credentials.

In that case I can delete my complete account and import the backed up OPVault file which I can unlock with my Master Password, right?

You'd need to enter whichever Master Password you setup for that specific vault.

Does it mean that the attachments/documents are not part of the exported OPVault and needs to be backed up separately?

Documents (1Password.com) are different from attachments (local vaults). Since there is a much higher limit on file size and storage, Documents must be downloaded and saved to disk manually.

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see the point. If you're already signed into the app, your data will still be there. You just won't be able to sign into new devices without your account credentials.

But I see that point. What will I do if I lost the devices where I already signed in and than have no secret key to decrypted the vault on the new device? In my eyes than I‘m completely locked out.

• arkatis
    arkatis
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty:

But if disaster strikes, your local backup will likely be wiped out as well. So it's not something we recommend.

I don't think so. I have an encrypted offsite backup in the cloud, so it's not a problem for me if my hardware is broken. I'm not sure if I explained my thoughts clearly. In earlier Versions of 1PW, there were automatic backups of the database on my local device. What I've done is to duplicate that backup to my own cloud storage. For one simple reason: Even if 1Password.com stops its service tomorrow, I will have a working backup. Do you understand that this is a major thing for me?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

But I see that point. What will I do if I lost the devices where I already signed in and than have no secret key to decrypted the vault on the new device? In my eyes than I‘m completely locked out.

@Finke03: Okay...but in your proposed scenario, where you've lost all of your 1Password.com account credentials, you still manage to have your data and Master Password for an entirely separate local vault? Sure, that could work, but it sounds a bit fantastical. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't think so. I have an encrypted offsite backup in the cloud, so it's not a problem for me if my hardware is broken.

@arkatis: Okay, it's good that you do that. But we're not going to assume (or require) that all 1Password users also pay for separate online backup and design around that. :)

I'm not sure if I explained my thoughts clearly. In earlier Versions of 1PW, there were automatic backups of the database on my local device. What I've done is to duplicate that backup to my own cloud storage. For one simple reason: Even if 1Password.com stops its service tomorrow, I will have a working backup. Do you understand that this is a major thing for me?

If we magically vanish form the face of the earth tomorrow, and the 1Password.com servers with us, you'd still have your data on any authorized devices though, regardless of whether or not you're using local vaults. I think maybe that's the source of confusion here.

This discussion has been closed.