1Password 4 to 1Password 7 - HELP NEEDED!

Options

So I'm pretty confused and I've tried looking through the forums and site, but I can't seem to find a clear answer.

I purchased a OSx, Windows, and iOS license several years ago, (if I recall correctly, it was $100-200). I have been using v. 4 ever since. My boss' password management system consists of several sheets of ruled paper stapled together with scribbles and edits all over. I am trying to move him to 1Password Team for everyone's sake. I started the 30 day trial in an effort to show him the value.

Then some harsh realities set in . . .

1. I had to update my own desktop app to v. 7 in order to access the shared vault.
  2. Our company uses IE (not Edge), and IE isn't supported with v. 7. I found one posting asking about this and someone from support answered simply by saying, "Your company shouldn't be using IE." Thank you. However being a massive company over 150 years old with systems so heavily integrated into windows and IE, the switch is probably years down the road when Microsoft finally sunsets IE altogether.
  3. I can't run v.4 and v.7 side by side. Apparently the software will conflict.
  4. I can't figure out what is supposed to happen with my personal vault. I was able to import it into v. 7 and it created a "On this PC" vault, but I get a dropbox authentication error whenever I open the app. It almost seems like it thinks that the new "On this PC" vault and the dropbox vault are different. If I click accounts across the top, dropbox is an option. When dropbox is highlighted, it shows the account is subscribed, but the secret key line item is blank. I read somewhere that if you had the stand alone version then you wouldn't have a secret key, but then why does it keep asking for it.
  5. I read another post that hinted that if had v. 4 that you need to purchase a v. 7 license, but it wasn't clear. Also it seems like my vault imported into v. 7 even with the authentication error. I don't see any major sign posts that say, "If you purchased a full license for v. 4, that will NOT transfer to v. 7 and you will need to pony up again." So I'm completely clueless on where to go from here.
  6. I don't know if this is related to the authentication error or not, but if the desktop app has been open for 10 min or so it crashes due to an "unknown error".
  7. If I can't make this all work, will I be able to revert back to v. 4?

Help anyone??

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Dropbox - I think

Comments

• @qdig: IE is gong to be a major wrinkle for you with 1Password 7. As you alluded to, Microsoft has been giving some indication of sunsetting IE for a good long time, but they've yet to take the plunge. No doubt the dependence of companies like yours on legacy webapps still tied to IE plays a role there. My mom worked in customer experience for a huge, old company before she retired and had no end of stories about ages old systems that probably hadn't seen a significant update since Windows 3.0. Large organizations are unwieldy and it definitely does present a technological challenge. All the same, I'll try to address all of your points below and do what I can to help.

I had to update my own desktop app to v. 7 in order to access the shared vault.

1Password 4 does not support 1Password.com accounts, so you would indeed need to use 1Password 7 to access Shared data. There are other concerns here in your situation, but you brought those I'd highlight up already (collisions, IE), so I'll address them in turn.

Our company uses IE (not Edge), and IE isn't supported with v. 7.

We don't have any plans to support IE in 1Password 7. Like you, we're assuming Microsoft will sunset it in favor of Edge at some point, so we decided to rip off that bandaid and focus on Edge now. Depending on how many systems depend on IE, you might find copy/paste to serve okay for those systems – Ctrl + Alt + \ will bring up mini anywhere allowing you to search, copy, and paste as needed. I'd probably be okay doing this with a few systems I only need to authenticate with rarely, but as a large part of your workflow, that may be a struggle. If no IE is a dealbreaker for you, you may be better off setting your boss up with his own 1Password 4.

I can't run v.4 and v.7 side by side. Apparently the software will conflict.

This specifically causes extension trouble. 1Password 7 supports both accounts and standalone vaults, plus you can add a standalone vault to 1Password 7 without a license so long as you have a 1Password account signed in as well. Because of this, there shouldn't be a need to run both at once, so we designed 1Password 7 to aggressively seize control of the extension making using both a bad idea to say the least. In the vast majority of cases, one or the other should serve.

I read another post that hinted that if had v. 4 that you need to purchase a v. 7 license, but it wasn't clear. Also it seems like my vault imported into v. 7 even with the authentication error. I don't see any major sign posts that say, "If you purchased a full license for v. 4, that will NOT transfer to v. 7 and you will need to pony up again." So I'm completely clueless on where to go from here.

That is technically true, but since you've started a 1Password for Teams trial and have signed in with that account in your app, that account is licensing 1Password 7 for you. As I briefly touched on earlier, whether you exclusively use that account or use some standalone vaults in addition to your account, you're completely covered by your trial membership. This would continue to be the case if you decide to subscribe to 1Password for Teams. In short, don't worry about it – you're fine and have nothing more you need to purchase.

I know, I've gone out of order now, sorry! A few of these are best addressed with the help of some additional logs and info, so to keep things in one place, it would be best if we handled the below over e-mail:

I can't figure out what is supposed to happen with my personal vault. I was able to import it into v. 7 and it created a "On this PC" vault, but I get a dropbox authentication error whenever I open the app.

Could you tell me a bit more about the authentication error you're seeing via e-mail to support+windows@1password.com? 1Password won't ask you to authenticate with Dropbox. Rather than integrating with Dropbox directly, it will save any standalone vaults you sync with Dropbox to the Dropbox folder on your filesystem. This eliminates the need to authenticate with Dropbox at all, so I'd guess this error is actually for your 1Password.com account, especially given it's asking for a Secret Key. Standalone vaults, indeed, won't have one. Knowing the exact wording of the error would help. Feel free to include a screenshot attached to your e-mail if that's easier.

I don't know if this is related to the authentication error or not, but if the desktop app has been open for 10 min or so it crashes due to an "unknown error".

This we'd have to take a closer look at some logs to diagnose, so let's go ahead and do that as well. Could you create a crash report for me attach it to your e-mail as well so I can take a look? Instructions are here:

https://support.1password.com/cs/windows-crash-report/

Please also include a link to this discussion in your e-mail so if one of my teammates finds it, they can connect the dots back to this post. Once you've sent your e-mail, you should receive an autoreply with a support ID included. If you post that support ID here, that will help me hunt down your e-mail so I can get back to you as soon as possible. :+1:

Thanks in advance for the crash report and additional tidbits. Once I see your e-mail, I'll be better able to help you get 1Password 7 working so you can decide if it it will work for you. And, to answer your final question ...

If I can't make this all work, will I be able to revert back to v. 4?

Absolutely. And if you decide you need to go that route, I'll be happy to help. :chuffed:

• qdig
    qdig
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I'm sorry it took me so long to put this together. I sent the email with the requested information. The ticket number is:

RTQ-93388-368. I look forward to hearing back and getting this resolved.

• MikeT
    edited February 2019
    Options

Thanks, we got the email and will reply to it soon.

ref: RTQ-93388-368

This discussion has been closed.