How do you update the expiry date on a credit card used for account subscription?

The credit card I use for my subscription is about to expire and I have saved it in my vault but is not presented as a payment option. I cannot delete the existing card details as there is no 'X' beside the existing card details. How am I supposed to update my payment details??? I have wasted over 1/2 an hour trying to sort this out. The user experience is rubbish.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited October 2018

@Rider: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Add the new credit card details. Then you can delete the old ones. Alternatively, scroll down to Billing Settings, and you can cancel there at any time that will remove all credit cards from the account. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Yeah but this is where your process simply doesn't work. I have to add a card by choosing it from a list of cards that your site pulls from my vault. The card I want is in the same vault that your site pulls from but the card is not included in the list - is it because I edited the existing card record and your site thinks that the edited record is the same as the card currently used for payment? I edited the record because I have been issued a new card with a different expiry date. Duplicating the card record does not solve the problem either. Why doesn't the site list ALL cards so I can decide which one to use?

As things stand I still cannot update my payment method. Please let me know next steps.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Rider: I'm not sure I follow. It definitely works. I updated my own card right before replying to you, to make sure we didn't have a bug.

As for automatically adding all of your saved Credit Card items to your billing settings...that's a terrible idea. Information added in your vault should stay in your vault unless you put it somewhere else yourself. That's fundamental to how 1Password works. If 1Password added payment to its billing settings without asking, to say that people would be unhappy about that is a gross understatement.

Getting back to the issue at hand, are you really unable to add a second card to your billing settings? If so, what's the error you're receiving? If you add the second, you'll be able to remove the first. But, failing that, as I mentioned above, you can scroll down to Billing Settings at the bottom, cancel, and that will remove all credit cards from the account so you can setup billing again with the new card. Did you try that?

• I didn't communicate clearly. I was suggesting that the pick list of payment options include all cards in the vault so I could choose from the list - I wasn't suggesting that you store them all in your billing settings. I wasn't having difficulty adding a second card to the billing settings, I was having trouble updating the existing payment method with a new expiry date. To solve the problem, rather than cancelling the plan and setting it up again, I replaced the existing card (let's call it Card_A) with a different payment method (Card_B) and removed Card_A from the billing settings. I then went back to the pick list of payment options and found that Card_A now appeared in the list (which it didn't do while it was the default payment method). I then added Card_A back to the billing settings where it appeared with the corrected expiry date. I then removed Card_B and it's all good. So what I was getting at previously was that Card_A should have been included in the pick list of payment options all along so that I could have selected it and updated the existing payment method saved in the billing settings. If that's not possible for some reason then a prompt or something to guide me would have been good - the process I should have followed was not clear. However it's working now. Thanks for your help.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Likewise, thanks for your feedback on this. I'm glad that you're all set now, but we'll see if we can make it smoother in the future. :)

• Reviving this thread. I just got a new credit because the old one was about to expire. Same credit card number different expiration date and verification number. So I need to log on and change my billing. I understand why I can't edit the existing card (good security!). But adding the "new" card just isn't working for me:

(At this point I have edited this Credit Card Item in 1Password with the new information and saved it).

• Attempt #1, selected '+ Add Credit Card', then 'Choose a saved credit card'. The card with updated information is not there. I go over to my vaults to make sure it's there and updated. At this point the 'From your Personal Vault' finally registers in my brain; this card is in the vault I share with my wife. No worries, I know how to fix this...
    • Attempt #2, copied the Credit Card Item to my Personal vault and repeat the steps. The updated card is not on the list, it is only showing the same 5 cards that were in my personal vault previously (it should be 6 now). So maybe it's a caching problem? So I log out and back in, same result. Maybe it won't show me a credit card this is already stored? (Shouldn't be the case if you aren't storing the billing card, how could you compare?). So...
    • Attempt #3 (really an experiment). Add a new credit card to my Personal Vault (really just duplicate one and then change its name). Repeat the '+ Add', 'Choose' process again. Nope, the same 5 original credit cards are my only choices. Log out and back in again. Same status.

I'm stuck. Why won't this work?

Here's the funny/frustrating/sad part. I was fully prepared to log in and have to completely enter my new/updated credit card information by hand, or via the 1Password extension autofill (like I'm going to have to do for 7 or 8 other sites). But then when I saw I could select from Vault items, I smiled and said to myself, "Those 1Password guys are so clever, making my life easier by letting me use the information I have already stored!" I'm not smiling anymore. :(

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @rlh!

Can you please confirm what version of the 1Password browser extension this is happening with, and on which browser?

• @ag_ana, Oops! I forgot that important information. I'm running macOS 10.14.6 using Safari 12.1.2 with browser extension 7.3.2. Also, this is a Families account in the US. (Note: I just logged into 1password.com as I posted this and it still only shows the original 5 credit cards on the 'Choose' screen despite my addition of 2 cards to my Personal Vault at the time of the original post.)

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@rlh:

I am curious: do these two new cards show up in the list if you temporarily remove two of the older cards from your Personal vault? For example, you could temporarily move them to another vault, to see if that refreshes things.

• rlhrlh
    edited August 31

@ag_ana, Curious. I moved 2 credit cards out of my Personal Vault (5 remain, including the updated card of interest formerly in my shared vault and the "new" card I created as a duplicate of another). I logged onto 1Password.com and verified those 5 cards showed up online. Now when I go to '+ Add', 'Choose' it shows me a list of only 3 cards! The two I removed are gone from the list by no others show up...

...also, I logged out, moved those 2 cards back to my Personal Vault, and logged back it. They were restored to the list!

Please note: In everything I have described, the creation, modification, moving, etc. is being performed on my Mac using 1Password 7.3.2 and I log out / log in between each edit. I have not tried making any changes from 1Password.com (primarily because I feel comfortable with the Mac interface and don't want to risk making any stupid mistakes on the web interface).

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@rlh:

Cam you please open 1Password Preferences on your Mac > click on the Vaults tab > check the Show in All Vaults section? Are all your vaults selected there, or are some of them unchecked?

• rlhrlh
    edited August 31

@ag_ana, Looking on the Mac I have 5 Vaults. 3 are checked, including my Personal Vault. When I moved 2 Credit Cards from my Personal Vault as you suggested above it was into the vault that I share with my wife which is checked too.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@rlh: Just to confirm, did that help? Even if you want to keep some vaults "hidden" most of the time (from the All Vaults view), you can always switch directly to one of them to view its contents. There's a lot of stuff I keep out of my way the majority of the time that way. :)

• rlhrlh
    edited September 2

@brenty

I'm bad at following directions. :) I hadn't actually tried checking all of the Vaults. I just did so now and can verify that does not change any of the behaviors described so far. I still only see the 5 initial credit cards and do NOT see the 2 cards "added" during this process.

ref: QRH-75491-858

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited September 2

@rlh: Ah gotcha. Can you shoot us an email at [email protected] with screenshots so we can investigate further and dig into this in a bit more detail without discussing sensitive information here on a public forum? Just post the Support ID you receive here and we can pick up where we left off.

• @brenty, the Support ID is #QRH-75491-858.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Thank you @rlh! I confirm that we have received your email, we will get back to you over there as soon as possible :)

• Thanks for all your help @brenty and @ag_ana. My credit card is all set up now.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Likewise, thanks for your patience. Glad you were able to get it setup, and we're looking into ways we can improve it in the future. Cheers! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file