How do you update the expiry date on a credit card used for account subscription?

The credit card I use for my subscription is about to expire and I have saved it in my vault but is not presented as a payment option. I cannot delete the existing card details as there is no 'X' beside the existing card details. How am I supposed to update my payment details??? I have wasted over 1/2 an hour trying to sort this out. The user experience is rubbish.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited October 9

@Rider: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Add the new credit card details. Then you can delete the old ones. Alternatively, scroll down to Billing Settings, and you can cancel there at any time that will remove all credit cards from the account. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Yeah but this is where your process simply doesn't work. I have to add a card by choosing it from a list of cards that your site pulls from my vault. The card I want is in the same vault that your site pulls from but the card is not included in the list - is it because I edited the existing card record and your site thinks that the edited record is the same as the card currently used for payment? I edited the record because I have been issued a new card with a different expiry date. Duplicating the card record does not solve the problem either. Why doesn't the site list ALL cards so I can decide which one to use?

As things stand I still cannot update my payment method. Please let me know next steps.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Rider: I'm not sure I follow. It definitely works. I updated my own card right before replying to you, to make sure we didn't have a bug.

As for automatically adding all of your saved Credit Card items to your billing settings...that's a terrible idea. Information added in your vault should stay in your vault unless you put it somewhere else yourself. That's fundamental to how 1Password works. If 1Password added payment to its billing settings without asking, to say that people would be unhappy about that is a gross understatement.

Getting back to the issue at hand, are you really unable to add a second card to your billing settings? If so, what's the error you're receiving? If you add the second, you'll be able to remove the first. But, failing that, as I mentioned above, you can scroll down to Billing Settings at the bottom, cancel, and that will remove all credit cards from the account so you can setup billing again with the new card. Did you try that?

• I didn't communicate clearly. I was suggesting that the pick list of payment options include all cards in the vault so I could choose from the list - I wasn't suggesting that you store them all in your billing settings. I wasn't having difficulty adding a second card to the billing settings, I was having trouble updating the existing payment method with a new expiry date. To solve the problem, rather than cancelling the plan and setting it up again, I replaced the existing card (let's call it Card_A) with a different payment method (Card_B) and removed Card_A from the billing settings. I then went back to the pick list of payment options and found that Card_A now appeared in the list (which it didn't do while it was the default payment method). I then added Card_A back to the billing settings where it appeared with the corrected expiry date. I then removed Card_B and it's all good. So what I was getting at previously was that Card_A should have been included in the pick list of payment options all along so that I could have selected it and updated the existing payment method saved in the billing settings. If that's not possible for some reason then a prompt or something to guide me would have been good - the process I should have followed was not clear. However it's working now. Thanks for your help.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Likewise, thanks for your feedback on this. I'm glad that you're all set now, but we'll see if we can make it smoother in the future. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file