1Password Chrome Extension Accessibility Using JAWS Screen Reading Software

I am a customer who happens to be totally blind. I use JAWS screen reading software to access my Windows computers. I use the keyboard exclusively and not the mouse. I have downloaded the latest 1Password app for Windows and am finding it to be fairly accessible. I downloaded the 1Password Chrome extension and am not able to use the keystroke of control plus backslash to activate the extension in order to have 1Password enter log in credentials. I am using the latest version of Chrome.
Could you please provide me with instructions on how to use the 1Password Chrome extension? Any assistance with this will be very much appreciated.
Thank you,
Kolby

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.10.4
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @Kolby: Based on your extension version, you're using 1Password X, so I've moved your post to the 1Password X category so others with more 1Password X knowledge can hop in with tips. That said, I have actually used 1Password X as an exercise to be better about using my keyboard, so hopefully I can at least help you get a good start.

1Password X doesn't use Ctrl + \ like the standard extension. Instead, it uses an inline menu and displays an icon in fields it can fill so you can open it. I don't honestly know how screen readers handle the inline menu, so I'll give you a rundown of keyboard navigation using the inline menu. That way, you can see what JAWS tells you and determine if 1Password X will work for you. When you have a field focused that 1Password can fill, the inline menu should display by default. If ever it doesn't, you can press the down arrow to bring it up. This will list any matching Logins and you can navigate through them using the up and down arrows. Once you've found the Login you'd like to fill, you can press enter to fill it.

If you're saving a new passwords, the inline menu will display a prompt to save this in 1Password. Once you've entered your username and password, press down arrow to select this option and enter to bring up the save window. There, you can choose a title for the Login and which vault to save it in. Once you're ready to save it, press enter.

1Password X also has a full UI to search for, edit, and fill items. You can open it with Ctrl + Shift + X. Your item list can be navigated with up and down arrows. Pressing right arrow on an item will expand its details. You can tab through the item details and other options here like search, favorite, and various actions like copy or fill for various fields. From the item details, left arrow will bring you back to your item list again. Another left arrow will close the item details. One final left arrow will bring you to your sidebar. There, you can use up and down arrow to navigate through suggested items, Watchtower, your favorites, the password generator and the various categories. Tab with the password generator selected will allow you to generate a new password and tab from any category will bring you to an item list filtered to only items in that category.

Finally, when you're creating a new account, 1Password X will suggest a new generated password for you in the inline menu. Just like with existing Logins, you can press down, then enter to fill this suggested password.

I think that about covers the basics, so give it a try, let me know what you think and if you don't feel like it's something that will work for you, I can help you install the standard extension instead so can see if you like that better. :chuffed:

• Kolby
    Kolby
    Community Member

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, pressing the down arrow does nothing for me in a form field on a website that I know I have saved in 1Password.
    I would love to assist 1Password in any way that I can to make your apps and browser extensions more accessible for people using JAWS screen reading software.
    Thank you,
    Kolby

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Kolby: Thank you for offering your feedback on this! We'd definitely like to improve it as well in any way we can. I'm afraid I'm not experiencing what you describe though. I'm able to navigate with the keyboard. Do you maybe have other extensions/features enabled that are interfering? One thing that's been reported is that the browser's own filling/password management features can get in the way. It's just one of the many reasons we recommend disabling that:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Does that help? If not, can you give me the exact steps you're taking when you run into this problem? Thanks in advance! :)

• Kolby
    Kolby
    Community Member

I turned off Chrome's built-in password manager before I attempted to use 1Password X. I navigated to a website that I have saved in 1Password and pressed the down arrow key from within the username field and the password field. Nothing happens as far as I can tell. JAWS does not indicate that 1Password X has been activated.
    Thank you,
    Kolby

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@Kolby: Ah, thank you for your reply. I misunderstood earlier. You're not getting any feedback from the menu at all. I'm really sorry for how unusable that must be. I don't personally have JAWS to test with so I'll have to track someone down who does. I was, however, able to test with Narrator, and it says only "one password" when the menu is opened, so I think that illustrates the same deficiency fairly well. I've filed an issue so we can work on this. Thank you for bringing it up!

ref: x/b5x#605

This discussion has been closed.