Where is my 1Password 7 License File?

chriskinsman
chriskinsman
Community Member

I was a beta tester, then purchased 1Password 7 about a month after it's release on Mac. I have contacted support and they say they can't find where I purchased a license. I definitely did upgrade to 1Password 7 because I bought it at the discounted price of $39.99. I downloaded the beta again and now it won't activate because I can't find the original license.

1Password 7 was installed and working fine (everything was unlocked) on macOS High Sierra. But after I did a clean install of macOS Mojave I can't find the license file on my time machine backup and now it's asking me to pay again. I can't believe that support cannot find my purchase receipt or license file. I already paid $40 and don't want to spend another $50 because support can't find my 1P7 license. I sent support 3 different email addresses and they still can't find it.

Someone please help! I have been a 1Password user since the very first version was released in 2008 which was 10 years ago!

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: Version 7.2.2.BETA-2 (70202002)
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: none

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I don't know about licences for version 7, but in earlier versions one was sent an email with the licence file (or a link to it).I assume this still holds. So can you search your emails, or have you already tried that unsuccessfully?

• chriskinsman
    chriskinsman
    Community Member

I searched everywhere and can't find anything. It is totally bizarre because I was using a fully functional version of 1Password 7 for a few months and now after I did a clean install of macOS Mojave I can't find anything regarding a license or email in my Time Machine backups. I do show that after the beta test ended, I downloaded and was using a fully functioning version of 1Password 7.0.7 on July 1, 2018.

However, I do remember setting up 1Password for a client in another country so we both could access the same 1Password.com account and I could upload all their passwords from my standalone version to their new account. I logged into their 1Password.com account using my standalone version and had a fully functioning version of 1Password 7. But... after all of the passwords were transferred to their 1Password.com account I made a backup of all their passwords, created another vault as a backup and then removed their 1Password.com account from my standalone version of 1Password 7.

Is it possible that my version of 1Password 7 stayed active even after I removed their account, and Agilebits released a new version of 1Password 7 that prevented that from happening again?

Obviously, I would not have gone to this much trouble to contact support multiple times and post on this forum that I had a fully functional version of 1Password 7 and now it's bricked and there is nothing I or Agilebits can find to support my claim.

• chriskinsman
    chriskinsman
    Community Member

Agilebits made a very bad decision trying to migrate loyal customers, including myself into a much more expensive and confusing subscription model. I personally, have been using and upgrading my 1Password software for 10 years. Since 2008! After you released 1Password 7, I had a fully functioning version of 1Password 7 for three months.

After I did a clean install of macOS Mojave over a week ago, and I downloaded the standalone version of 1Password 7, now I can't find my license nor can support after I made several requests. I got an email from Dave Teare and used the link on his blogpost and purchased 1Password 7 for the special upgrade price of $39.99 back in June or July. I thought that was a really good deal! https://blog.1password.com/the-1password-7-beta-for-mac-is-lit-and-you-can-be-too/

How was I able to have a fully functioning version of 1Password 7 and no one can find my stupid license! I purchased 1Password 7 for the discounted price of $39.99 because I really liked the beta version that was released. Now I'm stuck with a bricked standalone version of 1Password 7, no one is able to find my license and I would have to pay an additional $50 to unlock 1Password 7.

I'm so angry and frustrated right now after being a loyal customer for 10 years. ⋋_⋌

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chriskinsman - apologies for the confusion and the trouble finding your license. If you purchased for $39.99, that would've been during our beta period prior to launch, as a version 7 license has been $49.99 since launch day (and will soon be returning to the regular retail price of $64.99). We're currently using FastSpring as our retailer for standalone licenses, having closed down our own AgileBits store during the version 6 days. You might see a charge under FastSpring, it might be under AgileBits, or possibly FS 1Password. I can't think of anything else it might be, and I suppose it might depend on how your bank displays it as well. I see you've also asked this same question of our email support team, so since we'll be discussing personally-identifying details of your 1Password setup/purchases (such as what email address you may have used) that should not be in this public forum, let's keep the conversation going via email.

To be clear, though, you would've received an email from FastSpring with your license file/details inside. It would have looked something like this:

Regarding relative costs, a lot depends on how you intend to use 1Password, and how often we release full version upgrades (such as from 6.x to 7.0). Since full version upgrades are usually paid upgrades, you can look at the $35.88/yr for a 1Password membership as compared to $64.99 for a full license, and do the math -- at those figures, if we released an upgrade 21 months apart or sooner, you'd lose money; anything longer and you'd be in the black. Of course, if you get your license at a discount due to early purchase, the math changes. But it also changes if you need a license for 1Password for Windows also, or if you have multiple family members that want to use 1Password as well -- each of them would need their own standalone license, since they're sold per-person and per-platform. Bottom line: it really depends on your individual situation, but typically only for a single individual who uses only one platform might a standalone license setup ever potentially wind up being cheaper than a 1password.com membership. Hope that helps! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chriskinsman - I've merged your separate threads on this issue into one, for convenience and to avoid confusion. Please don't open any additional threads on the same topic.

If you're certain you purchased 1Password 7 for Mac from us, then even if we goofed and don't have a record via our FastSpring store of that purchase, you'll have a record of the charge somewhere. Check any of the accounts (banks, credit cards) you might have used to make this purchase, and let us know what you discover. We're happy to honor any purchases made - and I certainly apologize for making you do the legwork on this, but I can't check your bank/credit card records.

If you created a 1password.com account at some point, then that would serve the same function as having purchased a license: it would allow 1Password 7 for Mac to function without restrictions, as long as that account is active and not in Frozen status.

• SendX
    SendX
    Community Member

Similar problem: I purchased 1P Version 7 in March 2018. No sign of the invoice. I reinstalled the OS & cannot find the purchase email from AgileBits to unlock 1P (or even where the heck I am supposed to enter that information)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @SendX! I'm sorry you're having trouble locating your original invoice from FastSpring. I had a quick look using the email you registered at this forum under, and wasn't able to find anything in our FastSpring history, which means either you used a different email address to purchase, or perhaps you intended to purchase but never did? It's also possible you purchased a license at our own, older store (not FastSpring) for the previous version of 1Password for Mac (version 6 or lower).

If you can find your original receipt email containing the license information, I'd be happy to assist (then again, if you can find it, you likely won't need my assistance). Or if you'd like to shoot us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com with a list of alternate email addresses you might have used to purchase, I'd be happy to look those up as well.

• chriskinsman
    chriskinsman
    Community Member

Nope. I can't find any invoice, receipt or email record showing that I purchased or was licensed to use 1Password 7. Basically, I'm screwed. This makes absolutely no sense. I know I paid for it but can't find a damn thing.

• @chriskinsman If you can find the purchase on a bank / credit card statement that may also be helpful in tracking it down, but we’d need to handle that via email rather than this public forum. :+1:

1Password 7 for Mac was released on May 22nd 2018 so any purchase would’ve been after that time.

Ben

• chriskinsman
    chriskinsman
    Community Member

Do you know if you charge sales tax on purchases? If I can find the purchase amount of $39.99 plus sales tax if it was charged, then that may help. I can't find anything from 1Password, Agilebits, FastSpring, etc. Aside from having to go back and do a full Time Machine restore on my Mac, I'm baffled as to how I had a fully functioning version of 1Password 7 a couple of weeks ago before I did a clean install of macOS Mojave. I don't think I got a free upgrade as a 1Password 6 user but I remember that $39.99 was a good deal and I should buy it before the discount expired. Friggin' weird.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2018

We do charge sales tax where we’re required to do so, but generally customers in the US are not subject to sales tax.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chriskinsman: 1Password 7 wouldn't have been a free upgrade, and I'm not sure why you'd have paid for it if it was. One other thing to consider is that if you'd applied a license for 1Password 7, it would have been saved in your Apple ID's iCloud Keychain, unless you had that disabled completely. But regardless, you'd have received an email receipt for the purchase, regardless of where you bought it from, when, or what version it was. If you're not seeing any of that at all, and didn't go to the trouble to scrub all traces of your purchase (deleting the entry from iCloud Keychain isn't something you'd likely do by accident), my guess is that you meant to buy it during the special but something else came up and you forgot. I know I've done that, and missed some good deals as a result myself. :(

• chriskinsman
    chriskinsman
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Thank you. After doing a clean install of macOS Mojave a couple of weeks ago, I no longer have the keychain unless I was able to access it from my Time Machine backup.

However, I did notice that 1Password on my Google phone shows that the Pro features are unlocked and it has the 1Password License icon. What does that mean? Is that good for 1Password 6 and 1Password 7?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chriskinsman: Purchases in the Google Play store are quite separate from other platforms. As you can probably guess, Google and Apple do not share. ;) Similarly, 1Password for Android will not run on your Mac. You'd need 1Password for Mac there, and that's a separate purchase, unless you subscribe to a 1Password.com membership account, which includes everything, as mentioned earlier.

• chriskinsman
    chriskinsman
    Community Member

Hey guys. So I purchased the standalone version of 1Password 7 yesterday and I didn't receive any email receipt of my order. Is this seriously happening again? Why can't you guys provide a simple receipt of my order or even past orders??? I have sent three emails in the past 24 hours and have heard nothing! Again, I have no record on my end that shows I paid for this stupid upgrade. Nothing!

I'm so fed up after spending another $50 yesterday with no receipt of my order, lost money and valuable time spent on the beta and a lost 1P7 upgrade, endless support requests. After 10 years as a loyal customer I'm ready to move to another application. Agilebits doesn't provide standalone users with any account access, no receipts and no way of reviewing our past orders unless we send an email to support? Every software company I have purchased provides me with some kind of account access. This is stupid and I'm sick of 1Password and Agilebits.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Have you checked your spam folder? Maybe you have, and something else has gone wrong, but it is not uncommon for the licence email to get pushed there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@chriskinsman - we use FastSpring as our standalone license store, and I do see a license under the email you registered for this forum with, purchased yesterday. It should have generated a license email to you. I'm with @danco - if you didn't receive it, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk (the NERVE! 😉). If you still cannot find the license email, let me know and we can resend it to you. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

• lozza
    lozza
    Community Member

Have 1Pv6 on my mba and 1Pv7 on my macmini (both on high sierra).
    Just installed 1Pv7 on mba - says "read-only mode" (assuming can't write when attempting to sync as it just crashes) and cannot find evidence of or existence of license. Not in spam, junk or inbox from either agilebits, fastspring ......
    1Pv7-->License (on macmini) says this (overlaid on App Store screen with date presumably purchase date of 5th May 2018) :-

Frustrated as .... chriskinsman

If license on Macmini 1Pv7 is correct - then appreciate fast send - License so I can unlock 1Pv7 on mba and sync.

Txs

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lozza: You say "5th May 2018", but the screenshot shows "21 November 2018", which is today. I don't think those can both be right, unless you purchased two. :)

Anyway, there are zero licenses for 1Password 7 under this email address. If you purchased it under another, send that information to us at sales@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here so we can look into it.

• lozza
    lozza
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Txs. The 5th May 2018 purchase from the Apple App store as far as I can determine was for 1Pv6 (v6.8.9 Mac App Store).
    I went back to the upgrade support site (https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/) and found this para:-
    "If you purchased a license for 1Password for Mac on or after March 27, 2018, your license also applies to 1Password 7(emphasis is mine). This means that that 1Pv6 license also licenses me for 1Pv7. Don't know about the 21-Nov-2018 registration date - maybe the first look (when this kerfuffle happened) causes it to grab that date.
    As noted App Store purchased date is 05 May 2018 ( which is after March 27, 2018).
    Then the page goes on to say - if you bought before 27-Mar-2018 you have to 1) go buy a subscription or 2) go buy a 1Pv7 license.
    From the reading of this page - 1Pv6 purchased before 27-Mar-2018 entitles me to a 1Pv7 license.
    Please also look under [removed by 1Password staff -- this is a public forum] to see if there are any licenses there.
    Please do whatever is required so Agile can make the 1Pv7 instance on my mba to be read/write.
    Txs

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lozza: I think there's some confusion. The Mac App Store version of 1Password wouldn't have been a paid "purchase". It's been a free download for years, with a separate in-app purchase to get all of its features.

The thing you're looking at doesn't apply to you at all. As mentioned:

Licenses cannot be purchased from the App Store. Any purchase there is tied to your Apple ID. There is no license at all, and we cannot "look" there anyway as it's owned and operated exclusively. 1Password for Mac version 7 is not for sale through the App Store. You would need to have a 1Password.com membership to use that version, or you could use the version from our website and purchase a license in the app directly from us:

https://1password.com/downloads/

If, however, you did pay for a license, send us the details at sales@1password.com so we can help you get it setup.

• antoinek
    antoinek
    Community Member

I upgraded my Mac to 10.13.
    Get a nice message from 1Password that v7 is available on 10.13, I should upgrade. Let's go.
    Oh surprise, all my data is read only. It can become read-write if I pay. It feels like ransomware... Some much better if I had been told beforehand. Would not feel ripped off.
    I have been a loyal user of 1Password since January 2008, happily paid for upgrades and bought software for my family, recommended to many friends.
    You just gave me a good reason to go look around what your competitors are doing. And it seems they're doing some interesting things. First article I found, 1P is not among top first : https://top5-passwordmanagers.com/ios-password-manager
    I was a loyal customer, I felt really cheated... Did not like it.
    I will stay on 6.8.9 for now, and start looking around for a company with better manners.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2018

I'm sorry to hear we've made you feel that way @antoinek. I'm a little confused by your position though. If you are familiar with the 1Password upgrade process and know that upgrades are not included with licenses, having purchased upgrades in the past, why was the expectation this time different? In any event, I'd encourage anyone considering upgrading to take a look at the competition. We want people to choose to use 1Password (and choose to continue doing so) because they feel 1Password is the best solution for them -- not because they feel locked in.

For what it's worth 1Password membeship does include upgrades so that may be something to consider.

P.S. "top5-passwordmanagers.com" factors in who pays them into their ratings. https://top5-passwordmanagers.com/password-guides/how-we-rate/
    We opt to not pay them.

Ben

• malomalo
    malomalo
    Community Member

@antoinek Did you ever figure this out, I just had the same thing happen to me.... soo annoying.

• Hi @malomalo

How can we help?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.