1Password X versus standard browser extension

Options

I've just become aware of 1Password X

I currently use 1Password desktop app and the standard browser extension on both my personal and work computer (both Windows machines). I like the idea of replacing these with 1Password X on my work computer (on which I need to request admin support when a desktop program not on the company build needs admin rights to install or update). But I'm wondering if it makes sense to replace the standard browser extension with 1Password X on my personal computer (on which I have full admin rights) as well.

Aside from the ability to run independently of the desktop app, does 1Password X have features not available in the standard browser extension? Does the standard browser extension have features not available in 1Password X?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@omzaz: Honestly, it's really a matter of personal preference. I think we're not in a particularly good position to tell you which would be right for you, or really even ourselves, since we obviously go back and forth between both for testing. But philosophically, I'd say if you'll be using 1Password X at work anyway, why not give that a try at home as well, if nothing else then for consistency? If you find that you you miss some of the more advanced stuff the desktop app/extension can do, and it's possible for you to use that, then you can easily install it. For me, if I had to choose (good thing I don't!) I'd probably go with the desktop version for biometrics and broader browser support, but I'm really an outlier. 1Password X is beautiful and simple, and if I hadn't been using 1Password for more than a decade now already, I'd probably be inclined to use that everywhere myself. Let me know what you think. :)

• omzaz
    omzaz
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty thanks for the reply.

I will probably install 1Password X in Firefox and leave the desktop extension in Chrome (or vice versa) so I can compare them side by side.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. Technically you can use both in the same browser, but that can get a bit confusing. :)

This discussion has been closed.