To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can I share passwords without team or family

Options
aegos
aegos
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Memberships

I don't mind paying. But I read this

A family member found that his account and data got deleted. All I did was delete an "invitation waiting to be confirmed". I only did that because I thought it was a duplicate invitation. How come it still needs to be confirmed if he's been using 1password? There was no warning, no confirmation, nothing says, "if I do this, it will result in the account gets removed."

I recruited him to use 1password with him. He now lost access to years of work stored in the cloud secured with unique information with the only copy being stored in the vault that got deleted. I'm not sure if he can handle this and now I am worried about him hurting himself given that he's currently undergoing a major depression and facing a lot of challenges. As this has a lot to do with the work that he does, he might get fired as a result.

It looks like the bug of account being deleted after deleting invitations has been known for awhile, yet nothing was being done and no one was informed.

After some brief online research, the staff at 1password had been aware of the potential risk of losing ALL DATA associated with using family account since 2016. The company has yet to make sure the new user is aware that if someone, for any reason, gets dissociated from the family account, their data is GONE GONE GONE GONE GONE. Had I know, I'd never try to set up the family account in the first place.

I'm heart broken and furious beyond imagination.[/quote]

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/62449/deleting-family-members-or-vaults-also-removes-their-data

I think I agree with what most people says there.

I don't want something like this to happens to any of my friends.

I just want to share passwords with them. That is all.

I want them to have their own password. I want to have mine. I want some passwords to be shared. It seems that it make sense to just share password manually.

The benefit of "sharing" automatically is if someone update, it gets updated on everyone. Well, we will rarely change password anyway we can do this manually.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• aegos
    aegos
    Community Member
    Options

Can anyone from 1 password explains? I want to use families.

• aegos
    aegos
    Community Member
    Options
  • aegos
    aegos
    Community Member
    Options

I think this is very scary. I look at the 2016 previous thread. Many have warned 1 password that things like this can happen. 1password did nothing.

The way I look at it is that several feature is very misleading.

1. His brother does not expect that someone ELSE can delete his account. If he knows he wouldn't. Who trust that someone else.
    2. 1password think that his bro account is OWNED by OP. However, while OP can delete those passwords, OP cannot read it. Most people would think that the password his bro put is HIS password. Not OP's password. My password is my password. I put it. I generate it. I used it. I don't expect anyone else this.

And I think those 2 things are really out of common sense. I think it's design flaw. For now, I will just share password manually. 1 password is good for storing password. For sharing? There is whatsapp skype and many other better ways. That'll ensure that my friends' password are my friends'

Not to mention it's free. It's something I am less likely to "misunderstand" fatally.

• aegos
    aegos
    Community Member
    Options

I think it's not just a design flaw. I think it's an actual bug. He tries to delete invitation. Also having one family member be able to delete another's password is something that's defy common sense.

• aegos
    aegos
    Community Member
    Options

So yes there are actually 3 issue.
    1. Someone else can destroy my password. There is no body in the whole world that I would trust.
    2. I can own and destroy password I cannot see
    3. Possible buck where someone that tries to delete invitation end up deleting accounts.

The 3rd is his problem. However, the 2 issue are shared with the link I provided.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aegos: Regarding "ownership", of course the account owner, who is paying for the service, has the ability to delete the account. If not them, then who? Should no one be able to? That would actually prevent people in the EU from using 1Password at all.

Certainly it can be a bad thing to delete in some cases, but unfortunately we can't (reasonably) prevent 1Password users from deleting things if they want to. The confirmation process is important to ensure that you actually want to grant an invited person access. They will not be able to use any shared vaults until confirmed, but they will have access to their own Personal/Private vault of course, which sounds like what happened in this case.

I'm not sure if there's a solution in your case, but please reach out at support@1password.com from your account's registered email address so we can look into it. Post the Support ID you receive here and we'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aegos: I've merged your comments from multiple threads here. When you post the same thing in different places, you're slowing down response times for people who actually need help. Please don't do that.

To address the concerns you raised:

I don't want something like this to happens to any of my friends.

1Password items, vault, or accounts are not deleted spontaneously. It requires that someone delete them. So the best thing would be to not delete something if you do not want it deleted.

I want them to have their own password. I want to have mine. I want some passwords to be shared.

That's exactly how 1Password Families, Teams, and Businesses works:

Create and share vaults

The benefit of "sharing" automatically is if someone update, it gets updated on everyone. Well, we will rarely change password anyway we can do this manually.

I'd argue that it's not really automatic if you have to configure sync and/or update data across devices manually, but certainly its your prerogative if you prefer that.

Anyway, if you need help with using 1Password or questions about its features, just let us know. We'll be happy to assist. Cheers! :)

• aegos
    aegos
    Community Member
    Options

I see. Thanks for replying.

Actually the only benefit I can think of with families or teams are updating password when someone update the password. Am I correct? That seems like a very small benefit.

Most passwords are rarely changed and among passwords, those who are shared are like at most 10.

So it seems that the "free version" does all the job I need. What am I missing? :)

Actually what happened to the guy that claim that his bro lost all his password? Did you talk to him? What happened there? He didn't know he could delete his bro's password and his bro didn't know that either.

• aegos
    aegos
    Community Member
    Options

Let me try to undertand. That guy whose bro lost all his password. Did his bro put his password in "shared" vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I see. Thanks for replying.

@aegos: You're welcome. :)

Actually the only benefit I can think of with families or teams are updating password when someone update the password. Am I correct? That seems like a very small benefit.

It will vary depending on the case, but my family enjoys cost savings on a number of levels:

• All apps included — so we're not paying for licenses for various platforms
    • All updates included — no additional purchase for a new major version, such as 7.0
    • The whole family — no separate purchases for family members, as 5 are included in the base price
    • Time is money — whether family members setting things up themselves (which is much easier with a 1Password.com account: they just sign in on each device to access their data) or me helping them, there's just a lot less friction involved

It also allows you to easily share vaults securely and help family members recover their accounts if they get locked out — along with many other benefits. Automatic offsite backup and item history are included, so, unlike DIY, losing your devices doesn't mean losing your data.

Most passwords are rarely changed and among passwords, those who are shared are like at most 10. So it seems that the "free version" does all the job I need. What am I missing? :)

Well, for one, there is no "free version". ;)

Actually what happened to the guy that claim that his bro lost all his password? Did you talk to him? What happened there? He didn't know he could delete his bro's password and his bro didn't know that either.

Sorry, but I'm not going to discuss someone else's personal situation with you. But if you need help with 1Password, we're happy to assist you as well. :)

But more generally, as I mentioned above, it's best not to delete things unless that's really what you intend. If you stay at a friend's apartment and they stop paying rent and get evicted, you're in the same boat. When someone else is the responsible party, any malicious or mistaken action can affect you. So if you're not comfortable trusting someone else as the steward of your 1Password.com account, it's best to not invite them or accept their invitation. You can have your own individual membership. Better safe than sorry.

• aegos
    aegos
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

So if you're not comfortable trusting someone else as the steward of your 1Password.com account, it's best to not invite them or accept their invitation. You can have your own individual membership. Better safe than sorry.

--

This summarize things up. Okay do you have a paid once use all the time version? Lastpass is free unless we want to share password by the way.

About the last person's case. I am not interested in his particular problems. I am concerned that you have a bug and stuff.

To summarize he invite people to his own family and after his bro filled his own vault with password he just kick his bro out of his family (he thinks that he is cancelling unconfirmed invitation).

I want to know if that's even possible. Is it likely? Are there other cases like this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This summarize things up. Okay do you have a paid once use all the time version?

@aegos: 1Password licenses are available for sale:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

They're sold per person, per version (e.g. 7.0), and include all minor updates to that version (e.g. 7.2)

About the last person's case. I am not interested in his particular problems. I am concerned that you have a bug and stuff.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you clarify?

To summarize he invite people to his own family and after his bro filled his own vault with password he just kick his bro out of his family (he thinks that he is cancelling unconfirmed invitation).

Yep. When you are the account owner, you can both invite and remove people from that account. You're paying for it, after all.

I want to know if that's even possible. Is it likely? Are there other cases like this?

Absolutely, though it seems to be more common with companies: people get hired, people get fired. But certainly if a family breaks up, the (former) spouses probably aren't going to want to pay for the other's 1Password membership any more.

• aegos
    aegos
    Community Member
    Options

I see

So, with a team, one guy (the authority) can delete the others' account. What about if the other accounts want to keep his password and don't mind paying subscription? Will they have such an option?

I am thinking of a bunch of independent people that somehow choose to share password.

More like

I have 1password account
    Bob have 1 password account

I create a vault bobshare that I share with Bob.

Neither I, nor Bob, can destroy another account. We're both paying.

Is that possible?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So, with a team, one guy (the authority) can delete the others' account.

@aegos: Yup. They're the ones paying for it, after all. Same if you're paying for Netflix and cancel the account, maybe because your roommates are being freeloaders and preventing you from using it because they won't stop watching Friends reruns...

Or something like that. :lol:

What about if the other accounts want to keep his password and don't mind paying subscription? Will they have such an option?

Sure. They can sign up and pay for their own membership, and store their data there.

I am thinking of a bunch of independent people that somehow choose to share password. Neither I, nor Bob, can destroy another account. We're both paying. Is that possible?

Not currently, since sharing requires cryptographic keys to be exchanged, and this is done as part of the invite/signup process. But certainly it's something we'd like to do in the future if it can be done in a secure and user-friendly way. :)

This discussion has been closed.