Problem locating and restoring latest data to 1PW6 following hard drive wipe

sideburns61
sideburns61
Community Member

Following intermittent MacBook Pro crashes, my hard drive was wiped and OSX reinstalled by an Apple repair centre. As no hardware issue had been identified during tests, a partial restore only of my backup from a Time Capsule was recommended in order to reduce the likelihood of future data issues.

I launched 1Password 6 after the partial restore (drag and drop rather than Time Machine) and imported what I thought was the latest backup at /Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/1Password 2018-09-20 111239 (169 items).agilekeychain.

On viewing 1PW following import, I quickly realised that many important logins are missing and that the data in this backup is around two years out-of-date.

From reading other threads in the Support Forum since then (my 1PW came from AgileBits), it appears that my latest backup may be located instead at ~Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/1Password 2018-09-20 11_23_14 (1 profiles, 246 items, 0 folders, 1 attachments).1p4_zip. This archive appears to contain 77 additional items (and presumably many updated items). The archive contains a OnePassword.sqlite file.

Can I use this to update my 1PW and, if so, how? If not, how can I go about updating my 1PW with my latest data?

Additional info in case it's useful: as well as 1Password 6, I was also previously using the Safari extension.

Any assistance very much appreciated. As you will probably already have guessed, I'm not a very expert 1PW user so the simpler and easier to follow the better. Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: No sync

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @sideburns61! The form you submitted along with your question indicates you're not syncing your data at all. If that's correct - in other words, if you are running 1Password only on your Mac and have never set sync up with Dropbox or iCloud or a 1Password membership - then your options are going to be more limited. If you've only been using 1Password 6 for Mac (and not the more-recent version 7), then your backups will be located at ~Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/ -- look in that folder and choose the most-recently-dated one (you can sort the items in there by date created or date modified).

If you have access to your Time Capsule data, then I would recommend you reset your data in your current 1Password 6 app: open 1Password but do not unlock it. If it's unlocked, lock it. Then choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. This will remove all data in the current 1Password 6 app and quit it. When you re-launch 1Password, it will be as if you are a new user. Choose to restore from an old backup, and navigate to the most-current backup you identified. Let me know how that goes for you.

• sideburns61
    sideburns61
    Community Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and assistance. I'll give that a try and let you know how I get on.

• sideburns61
    sideburns61
    Community Member

Thanks so much: that worked well. Ideally I'd also like to install the correct extension (OS X 10.12.6 and Safari v12).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sideburns61 - glad to hear it! I'm not sure how well Safari 12 works in macOS 10.12 (“Sierra”), but if it's working for you, then the Safari Extensions Gallery is the place you'll need to go to get our extension, as Apple has removed developer-installed extensions in Safari 12; you can only download/install through the Safari Extensions Gallery.

• sideburns61
    sideburns61
    Community Member

Thanks, Lars. I'll sit with 1PW 6 without the extension for a short period just until I'm confident that there are no residual issues with my MBP and will then upgrade to 1PW 7 and read up on synching etc. Thanks again for your assistance.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sideburns61 - sounds good! We're here if you need us. By far the simplest and most reliable way of using 1Password across multiple devices is a 1password.com account. In addition to seamless, zero-setup syncing, there are a number of additional advantages; it's what I'd recommend if you're planning to upgrade anyway, as all four of our 1Password apps (Mac, iOS, Windows and Android) are included with every 1Password membership.

This discussion has been closed.