Trouble accessing web version of 1Password

Options
iamecho
iamecho
Community Member

Hi, good morning!
I am unable to log into my 1password account online because I have 2FA set up and it's asking for the 6-digit code. The problem is that I recently got a new phone and the authenticator app I've been using (Authenticator) no longer have the 1Password details, so I am unable to enter the 6 digit code. That's part one of my problem ;)
Part two, and this may be related, is that I added a new log in on my mac on Friday and it's still not showing on my iPhone so the sync is not working.
Please let me know how to proceed!
Many thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.1 (70201002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho - hey there! Sorry for the trouble. Are you able to access your 1Password account in any other device on which you use the 1Password app?

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars, thank you for responding. The sync issue is now resolved although it did seem to take 36 hours for the login item on my Mac to make it to my iPhone. However, my bigger problem is not being about to access my account via 1password.com. I set up 2FA a long time ago and use Authenticator as the app to generate the code. I updated my iPhone last month and when I set it up the app came over to the new phone, but not the 1password details which generated the 6 digit code. So now when I try to access 1password.com, after signing in it requests the 6-digit code which I have no access to now. I am racking my brain to try to figure out how to fix this as I rely on 1password.com when I am on the road. Does my problem make sense? I hope I have described it adequately for you. Please work your magic and come up with the solution! Thank you.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars And to answer your question, I cannot access 1password.com from any other device because they all want the 6 digit code I can't provide.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho - I'm hoping very hard here that you are still signed into your 1password.com account in a browser somewhere. Are there any out-of-the-way browsers or other devices on which you might still be signed in/authorized? Please follow the steps in this guide to the extent you can. Let me know how that goes.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Alas, no, there aren't. What does this ultimately mean?

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I don't know if this will help, but as I have a family membership I did give my partner authorizing access so would that be a workaround? Could she recover my account and would that work?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho - it absolutely would. :) That's why we are pretty insistent that every multi-person account (Families or Teams/Business) have at least two Admins or Family Organizers: because each one can recover other people's accounts for them, but if the admin forgets his/her Master Password or loses his/her Secret Key, the entire account will need to be reset if there isn't a second admin who can help recover the first admin's account.

Fortunately for you, you can tell your partner to sign into his/her account in a browser, then put your account through the recovery process. This will result in you getting an email from us on his/her behalf, with a special link for you to get a new Secret Key and choose a new Master Password (if you want, or you can use the same one if you liked it). You will have to re-sign in again on every device you use 1Password on, as the credentials will have changed and the old ones won't work any longer.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Excellent, thank you for confirming that! Phew - got lucky this time! So the next time I upgrade my iPhone I should turn off 2FA in 1Password settings first?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho - I would, yes. It's a single point of failure that can render your data unavailable. If you had restored your new phone from a saved whole-disk image of your previous one, then you would have likely retained the Authenticator codes...but not necessarily. A lot depends upon several variables when it comes to system backup/restore. And when something as important as your entire 1Password database is concerned, I wouldn't take any chances. Glad to hear you've got an easy route to recovery this time. Another win for multiple admins/organizers! :)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars 100% back up and running, thank you. And as a matter of interest, I did an exact restore of my old phone to my new phone and the Authenticator app transferred but without the codes. Lesson learned.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho - yep, good to know. It's one of the reasons I'm personally quite ambivalent regarding two-factor authentication: it certainly can strengthen security against a limited range of threats...but the benefit gained is (to me anyway) offset by the significant problems that can come from losing access to that second factor. It can range anywhere from irritating to disastrous. Glad to hear you're all set now!

This discussion has been closed.