Disabling 1Password X for specific fields/forms (web developer question)

pbhoganpbhogan Junior Member

Hi—I'm a web developer and an avid 1Password user. I've found that 1Password X and its icon is showing in every field of some forms quite aggressively. I presume it tries to only do so on fields where it thinks it's in a login form, but it's showing in places it shouldn't. It ends up interfering with things like typeahead inputs and anything with custom keyboard press handlers and just generally gets in the way where it shouldn't.

Could you shed some light on how it's choosing to where to show up, and perhaps more importantly for developers like me, is there a specific per-form or per-input attribute we can use to disable it?

As a concrete example, I'm working on an enterprise web application that has a form for editing accounts, so the word "account" is part of the form id and there are username fields and whatnot. This is probably what is triggering 1Password X to insert itself. Unfortunately, 1Password is not actually useful in this context of managing the several thousand accounts of other people in this application and makes a nuisance of itself. :)

Besides having per-form and per-input blacklist attributes, it would be super useful to be able to mark any html with an attribute (e.g. to disable 1Password on child elements and only whitelist specific input fields with a similar attribute (e.g. ) to indicate where it's safe to use. This would give tighter control to app developers who are dealing with issues like this without affecting normal operation of the plugin.

Keep up the great work!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• pbhoganpbhogan Junior Member

Hah, I should have known better than to put html in a form. My examples were (excluding the angle brackets):
    body allow-1password="no"
    input name="username" allow-1password="yes"

• dtearedteare Agile Founder

Team Member

This is a great question, @pbhogan. You're right, 1Password is analyzing the page looking for interesting things. Login, registration, and credit card forms are things we're very interested in and decorate them. While things like search fields we want to avoid like the plague.

Most likely it's exactly as you say: you have the word account in your form and 1Password thinks it's a registration form and jumps in to help. But given that we used machine learning to create the form analyzer, it's not immediately apparent that this is the case. 🙂

At this moment there is no mechanism to control form categorization like you described. This is something we will likely add in a future update as developers like yourself should be given the tools you need. Pinging @mitch as this is a topic near and dear to his heart.

Thanks for bringing this up!

++dave;

• I came here with the same question / concern.

Have you considered giving the user an option in the UI to "not suggest for fields like this"....or the opposite, maybe right-click and tell 1Password to suggest? That would give you additional data points for your ML algorithm, and, depending on how your algorithm works, it could allow us developers canto pre-train the system on our UIs before releasing them into to the masses of 1Password users!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

It's a cool idea. Perhaps we'll be able to do something like that down the road. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file