If I opt-out on the haveibeenpwned website will watchtower still work?

Options
setec__astronomy
setec__astronomy
Community Member

I don't want others to see what websites I may have accounts on. If I opt out of haveibeenpwned.com, will watchtower still work?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:opt out haveibeenpwned

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @setec__astronomy

Watchtower itself will work without haveibeenpwned integration, yes. You may wish to review this guide for further details on the privacy regarding the Watchtower / HIBP features:

https://support.1password.com/watchtower/

Ben

• setec__astronomy
    setec__astronomy
    Community Member
    Options

The thing is I want haveibeenpwned integration. I just opt-out on their webpage so that people can't enter my email-adresses and see where I might be registered. Is 1password using another server 2 server endpoint or do I effectively turn off the integration by opting out over there?

• Ben
    Options

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I can ask our development team. But before I do... did you try it?

Ben

• setec__astronomy
    setec__astronomy
    Community Member
    Options

Didn't dare to try it yet :) But maybe I will tomorrow with one of my spam-addresses use.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I believe that as currently implemented if you opt out your email address on the HIBP website itself, the integration with 1Password's Watchtower will continue to work. But that is an artifact of interactions of how some things are currently implemented, and there is no guarantee that things will stay that way. This, as they say in the business is "undefined behavior".

Troy may well make adjustments to where in the stack the opt-out is enforced, and we and Troy may tune how 1Password interacts with the service. To have that flexibility, we are almost certainly going to leave this as undefined behavior so that we don't have to worry about how other changes and tunings and optimizations we and Troy make will affect that behavior.

This discussion has been closed.