I upgrade from 6 and now it's read only mode - License required???

harrismix
harrismix
Community Member

Hi, I have a 1password 6 license and have been using it for ages, I upgrade to 1password 7 and now I'm getting 'read only mode license required' I select my existing license and it's not recognized . . . . please help, I need this working, I rely on 1password for a lot of secure functionality and I'm afraid to upgrade because of issues like this - also the 1password 7 browser extension if not working - I see also that 1password 7 has replaced version 6 - how do I get my functionality back on my Mac please???

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• mulroneyp
    mulroneyp
    Community Member

I have the same problem, can I revert to v6? I am not interested in a subscription, I paid for a full licence some years ago

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You should be able to revert with no trouble. The upgrade keeps a zipped version of 1PW6, and you just need to unzip it. But you also need to delete 1PW7 (make sure it is quit COMPLETELY rather than just quit, before deleting).

1PW7 is a paid upgrade, so if you want a licence rather than a sub you do have to pay again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@harrismix - sorry for the confusion, but I'm a little confused myself, here. You said:

I'm afraid to upgrade because of issues like this...

...but from what I can tell you already did upgrade? To be clear, 1Password 7 for Mac is a new purchase for everyone, either of a 1password.com membership, or a new standalone license. After all, as you mentioned, you've "been using your version 6 license for ages." Version 7 is a full-version upgrade, and therefore a new purchase. :)

If you've downloaded from the Mac App Store and you want a standalone license, you'll need to delete the current version of 1Password 7 for Mac and visit our downloads page to download our version directly. Once you launch that version, you'll be presented with the purchase options page, which will contain links both to subscribe (if you want) or purchase an upgraded standalone license that works with version 7.

Regarding the browser extension, I'd need a little more information: what version of macOS are you running, what version of Safari, and what specific version of 1Password for Mac do you have installed? Thanks in advance. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mulroneyp! Always happy to talk to a long-time user. :) If you've been with us for a while, then you're aware we use the standard software industry licensing model: free updates within versions (like from 3.5 to 3.6, etc), while full version upgrades (like from 6.x to 7.0) require the purchase of a new license. Your full license from some years ago will remain good for licensing the version for which it was purchased...but if you want the latest 1Password 7 for Mac, that will require the purchase of a new license.

To be clear, you have the choice of either method of using 1Password -- you can sign up for a 1password.com membership, OR purchase a standalone license: we offer both in 1Password 7 for Mac. Hope that helps! :)

• harrismix
    harrismix
    Community Member

Hi Lars, Ah I didn't realize that 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade, I only have the license for version 6 - I will buy the version 7 upgrade if it works but I am having this problem with the browser extension not working, I am using Mac OS 10.14 Mojave with Safari 12.0 (14606.1.36.1.9) - thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@harrismix - open Safari's Preferences > Extensions and tell me what you see there? When you installed 1Password 7 for Mac, it should've removed or at least disabled the older 4.7.3.90 extension, and replaced it with the newer-style Safari App Extension which will have the same version number as 1Password itself. You may need to enable it there. And if it IS enabled but still not working, please restart your Mac, and give it another go. Let me know how that works for you.

To be clear, when 1Password is not paid for, you cannot use the browser extension, nor add, delete or edit any of your data. So, if you see a "Read Only" badge in your items, make your purchase first, then (if necessary) try the above steps.

• harrismix
    harrismix
    Community Member

Thanks Lars, yes the version 7 is showing in Safari extensions but I think you have answered the question if the browser extension will not work if 1Password 7 is not licensed yet and in read-only mode?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@harrismix - yep! That sounds like what's probably going on, if the proper 7.2 extension is showing in Safari Preferences > Extensions. Go ahead and make your purchase, and you should unlock that functionality as soon as you apply the license. Let us know if that's not the case, though. :)

• Dave Toth
    Dave Toth
    Community Member

I have the same issue. But what in the world is this license upgrade requiring you to download some file??? I've used PCs and Macs since they were invented and have never seen a behavior remotely like this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Dave Toth - wow, I'm not sure how you've managed to avoid it, frankly! On my Mac right now, I have half a dozen applications other than 1Password that do it this way: Hazel, Moom, Jaikoz, BookMacster, several others. The standalone license file used in 1Password 7 for Mac is actually a specialized .plist file; when you purchase a license through our FastSpring store, you'll receive an email from FastSpring on our behalf with this as a downloadable attachment. With 1Password open, double-clicking it will install it within 1Password and you'll be all set. No need to enter a lengthy serial number-style license key or anything else. :)

• Brian Crook
    Brian Crook
    Community Member

I need a layman’s guide to reverting back to 1pw6 on Mac. Can anyone give me the easy explanation? Thanks.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Quit 1PW7 COMPLETELY by opening it and pressing ctrl-option-cmd-Q (not just cmd-Q, which leaves 1PW Mini running). Trash it and empty the trash.

In the Applications folder you should find a zipped version of 1PW6 (perhaps double-check it is there before trashing 1PW7). Unzip it by double-clicking, andd you should be good to go.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Brian Crook - we can't recommend reverting to a previous version as a long-term strategy. Legacy versions such as the recently-retired 1Password 6 for Mac are of course always fine to use in the immediate wake of a new version...because it hasn't been that long since a new version was released, and the older one is still pretty current. But as time passes and the older version doesn't receive development attention, the incompatibilities and chances for problems - even significant ones - grow. You wouldn't want to try running version 3 on current hardware and macOS, for example. 1Password 7 for Mac was released only in May of this year, and we've already seen a new full version of macOS released since that time, which 1Password 6 for Mac hasn't been and won't be updated for.

@danco's instructions are certainly correct, with one caveat -- you'll need to make sure you transfer back to version 6 any additions or edits you made to your data in 1Password 7 for Mac, unless both version 7 and version 6 were using the same sync method, otherwise those changes won't be reflected in your older version's data. But if you'd like to share why you're planning to revert, perhaps I can help you stay with the current version?

This discussion has been closed.