Unable to set-up two factor auth on 1password.com

Today I was trying to configure 1password x on an additional Firefox profile (linux) and then as expected the addon asked me to enter my 1password membership details and six-digit authentication code but the latest step did fail. so I went to my account on the other Firefox profile and I've tried to reconfigure the two factor authentication but was unable to do it as the six-digit code generates using Google authenticator was always reported as invalid.

So now I have my account not protected by two factor auth.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.11.0
OS Version: Linux / Fedora 28
Sync Type: 1password
Referrer: forum-search:two factor

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lburgazzoli,

So my initial thought when reading this is that's odd, the extension doesn't have its own sign-in page, it's just using the standard one for our 1Password accounts so if you couldn't log in I'd have thought you were effectively locked out of the account completely. When I tried to reproduce just to make sure something insane wasn't happening I didn't get any report that my 2FA code was invalid but what I did find was that the account was never connected to the installed 1Password X extension. I could successfully log into the account but it just wouldn't connect. The same in Chrome worked.

I'm asking colleagues to see what they find as I don't know why it isn't working for me or why you're seeing issues but between the two of us there's something that needs explaining.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @lburgazzoli,

So I discovered why I was having issues, I had both the companion extension and 1Password X installed and enabled at the same time and something weird is going on when they are both present. That wouldn't explain why you had trouble though, as you're using Linux I very much doubt you had the companion extension installed at any point.

• lburgazzoli
    lburgazzoli
    Community Member

Correct I do not have the companion extension and to be honest, I do not know if it is an 1Password X issue

• lburgazzoli
    lburgazzoli
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables tested on another pc and same result so it seems a problem with my 1password.com account that from some reason does not validate the authentication code google authentication gives me

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @lburgazzoli,

The most common cause for problems with a TOTP code is a clock that is out of sync with the various time servers. There's usually a reasonable buffer so it typically has to be out of sync by good deal more than just a few seconds. It might be worth checking to see if the clock is showing as correct and the timezone as well.

• lburgazzoli
    lburgazzoli
    Community Member

Oh yeah, that was the reason. I didn't notice but my phone clock was not correct at all

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ouch. I hate when that happens. Glad you were able to track it down! :)

This discussion has been closed.