To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password 7 basic questions

Options
lukevan
lukevan
Community Member

I signed up for the 30 day trial of 1P 7 and have several questions regarding the differences between 6.8 (my prior version) and 7. My MAC updated fine and I can see the new Vault (labeled "Personal") and my old vault (labeled "Primary").

1. I created the new Master Password in 1P 7 and used a different password than I previously used before the upgrade. When I open the app on the MAC (or on my iPhone) it is still requiring my old Password to unlock the program. Is the new Master Password just used for accessing my 1 Password account via a web browser and for functions like obtaining the 1st Aid Kit? Don't understand the distinction between the passwords.

2. I don't see the new "Personal" vault on my iPhone but can't find a 1P 7 app to download for the phone. I did not delete my old vault even though it is completely redundant at this point as I want to make sure I like 1P 7 first. It appears new items I create will go into the new Personal vault. Will the iPhone be able to see them? I'm using iOS 12.0 (16A366).

3. Assuming I stick with 1P 7, is it recommended to delete the old vault? Because they both have the same information, the program thinks I have lots of duplicate passwords in use even though it's just because there are two versions of item.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hey @lukevan,

I'm sorry for the confusion! I'd be happy to answer your questions.

1. When you have more than one vault with different passwords (in this case your old Primary vault and the new Personal vault), you need to unlock the 1Password app with one of them, by default the Primary vault password. This is why you still need to enter your old password in the app - more on this below.

2. It sounds like you haven't signed into your 1Password membership on your iPhone. You can sign in from within settings: https://support.1password.com/add-account/

You'll need to use your new Master Password when adding your account to your iPhone.

1. Yes, you should definitely remove your old Primary vault once you're all set up with your 1Password membership and have all your items in your Personal vault on all your devices. You can remove the old primary vault on each device:

Mac: Go into 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and uncheck the option to allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts.
    iOS: Unlock 1Password and go into Settings > Vaults > (scroll all the way down) > Primary > Delete Vault.

Once you've deleted your Primary vault, you'll be able to unlock 1Password everywhere using your new Master Password.

Let me know if that helps or if you have any more questions!

• lukevan
    lukevan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Meek - Thank you. That worked and I've successfully deleted the old Primary vault. Two more questions:

1. I notice when I am in the App on my Mac (but not on my iPhone), that in the list of items in the Personal Vault is one called "1Password Account" that shows my username and contains the master password. I didn't think the Master Password would ever be visible anywhere?

2. On the version prior to 1P 7 I had to tell the program whether to use iCloud, Dropbox or WLAN for purposes of syncing. I don't see that feature anywhere now, so I'm not sure how the syncing occurs?

Thank you,
    Lukevan

• Meek
    Options

Hey @lukevan, awesome, glad to hear that worked!

1. When you sign up for a 1Password account, it automatically saves an item for your 1Password account within your vault. I'll admit it's a bit of a chicken-and-the-egg scenario as you need your Master Password in order to unlock the vault that contains your Master Password, but it can be convenient when, for example, your browser extension is unlocked and you're signing into the 1Password.com website - you can use the extension to fill it in. If you'd rather not have that item around, you can always delete it.

2. One of the awesome benefits of a 1Password membership is that you don't need to think about syncing - it just works. Simply sign into your account on all your devices and everything will stay up to date. In order to accomplish this we've built our own secure syncing system that keeps all your devices in sync - no need to manually set up a third party sync service.

• lukevan
    lukevan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I like that you built your own syncing system. I appreciate your help.

• Meek
    Options

You're more than welcome @lukevan. If there is anything else we can help with, you know where to find us :)

This discussion has been closed.