Do you have a 2FA recovery process for personal accounts?

Gort
Gort
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

Hi. I sent this by email to support but have not heard back.

Two questions:

1. Do you have a process for me to recover my account when I do not have my 2FA code? (yes, 2FA is turned on)
  2. If no, how do I get you to delete that account -- I don't like the idea of an account sitting there with all of my passwords in it.

Context of my questions:

• I upgraded my iPhone and did not realize that Apple's transfer function does not transfer Google Authenticator data. Opps. 100% my mistake.
  • I went to my 1PW "Emergency Access" kit only to learn, much to my chagrin, that this document does not contain any 2FA backup codes.
  • 1PW does not offer any other way to get a 2FA code, such as using my cell phone. I have read your posts saying this would weaken security.
  • I have read the posts offering various ways to avoid this situation, such as using Authy or taking a screen shot of the 2FA code when created. Unfortunately, these suggestions were not part of the 1PW documentation.
  • I have read your posts that 2FA is "intended" for business users, where another user can reset 2FA I presume. Unfortunately, my account is not a business account.

I have exported all of my passwords, so I won't lose them. But question #2 then becomes really important to me -- if I go into 1PW desktop, delete all data, will those deletions sync to all accounts -- even without the 2FA? Seems like it should work, but I want to be 100% sure.

On question #1, I can provide every possible piece of information on my account, including the credit card #, key, master PW, etc. I have full access to both the desktop and X versions of 1PW, on multiple devices. The one piece of information I lack is the 2FA code -- which means I cannot set up new devices or access my account on 1password.com.

I look forward to your answers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Gort
    Gort
    Community Member

Addnl info: 1PW version: 7.2.1
    Extension Version: current version of X beta
    OS version: various flavors of OSX and iOS.
    Sync Type: your service

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Have you ever used a browser on any of your devices? I'm not that familiar with 2FA for 1PW itself, but I think you can turn it off if you go to 1password.com in a browser, and that the browser will have been authorised for use if you have used it previously.

Failing that, one of the few things AgileBits can do with your account is turn off 2FA for you. Unfortunately, they are very busy at the moment and may take a long time to reply. It's a good idea only to post once (and maybe one email), as they move from oldest to newest in replying and a new message puts you back.

• Gort
    Gort
    Community Member

Hi, thanks. I have authorized a browser, but for whatever reason (probably deleting cookies) 1PW is asking me for the 2FA to login to the website.

If they can turn off 2FA, that will be great.

• @gort,

You will need to contact us via email to get assistance with that since it will involve you confirming your identity and we can't really do that in the forums. Please email support+urgent@agilebits.com with your request.

• Gort
    Gort
    Community Member

Thanks Rudy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'll be in touch with you via email shortly. :)

This discussion has been closed.