I just upgraded to version 7 from version 6. It says I have a read only version. Not happy.

Options
pclitherois
pclitherois
Community Member

I have been using 1Password since 2013. I upgraded from version 6 to 7 today, because I upgraded my Mac OS from High Sierra to Mojave. Also, I understood that version 7 would be at no cost. Now it says I have a "read only" status with 1Password 7. I don't know how to get my license validated with full function Please help. Thanks. Paul Clithero

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Mac OS Mojave 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I just upgraded to version 7 from version 6. It says I have a read only version. Not happy.

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@pclitherois Your understanding that a 1Password 7 upgrade would be at no cost is erroneous. It is a paid upgrade for either a license or a subscription. Click the "read only" box for further details. hth

• pclitherois
    pclitherois
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

vplewis. Clearly, I did not undertstand that the upgrade came with a cost. Recent emails about the upgrade from your company's founder, David Teare, did not even mention the cost, never mind making it crystal clear. I learned about the cost only after I installed the upgrade. 1Password is a good product, but Agilebits needs to work on its transparency and clarity about pricing with its customers. Here's an excerpt from one of David Teare's emails:
    "Hello from 1Password
    Go Monty!
    Hello everyone, 👋

Wow, what an incredible summer we’ve had! I managed to take my dad and son on a week long fishing trip, and on the 1Password side of life, things were really cooking.

I’d love to share with you what our team has been working on.

macOS 10.14 Mojave

There’s a new cat mountain desert California landmark in town: Apple released Mojave last week and we were there on launch day with a big update to take advantage of all the new features.

1Password 7.2 brings full support for Dark Mode and multiple security enhancements that were added in macOS 10.14, including app notarization and a hardened runtime.

Jump on over to our macOS announcement post for all the details. And if you haven’t updated to 1Password 7 yet, now would be a great time to do that. 🙂"

The email goes on from there, but still doesn't mention pricing. Hence, I took it as an upgrade that was available for free to existing customers, which it is. However, only after it was installed did I learn that upgrade was "read only". And it was then that I learned that a fully functioning upgrade would come with additional cost.

I will pay the upgrade, but the right way to do it is to tell your customers UP FRONT what the pricing is.

• Meek
    Options

Hey @pclitherois, I'm so sorry for the confusion around this upgrade. We've tried hard to make it clear that this is a paid upgrade, but it definitely sounds like we dropped the ball somewhere along the way. I'd love to learn a bit more about how you upgraded to figure out why this wasn't made clear.

In the normal flow of upgrading 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 we have a couple screens that try to clearly outline the cost of upgrading, and the various options, for example:

By any chance did you instead download a fresh copy of 1Password 7 from our downloads page? I can definitely see how that would be confusing, as it wouldn't be treated as an "upgrade" in that case, and just be treated as a fresh install. I completely agree that we could do better there to make it more clear in that scenario.

If you could shed a bit more light on the steps you took to upgrade, we'd greatly appreciate it.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Meek I can see some issues with what you are showing. Once you are on one of those pages, the pricing is there.

But you would only be on those pages if you had ALREADY downloaded 1PW7, surely. If you decided you didn't want to upgrade, there isn't a Cancel button to keep you on 1PW6, even though there are simple ways of reverting to 1PW6. You need to know the pricing while still on 1PW6, so you can decide not to upgrade.

Or is that first Welcome screen actually visible while on 1PW6 as an indication that you can upgrade? I don't think it is.

Typically, when doing a "check for updates" either manually or automatically in a program you either get a message saying "The latest version is version x. You have version y. Do you want to update" or "The latest version is version x. You have version y. This is a paid update. Do you want to update?"

• Ben
    Options

As this thread doesn't appear to pertain to 1Password membership I've moved it to our Mac category.

You raise a good point @danco that there isn't currently a mention of the pricing in 1Password 6 for Mac. I'll speak with development and see if there is a way we can include that information.

In general, we'd recommend 1Password membership, which includes all upgrades.

Ben

• pclitherois
    pclitherois
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

@Ben @Meek Thanks for addressing the issue of giving users of 1Password 6 for Mac upfront pricing information for upgrading to version 7. @danco Thank you for bringing clarity to the discussion.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pclitherois - glad we were able to assist, and thanks for sharing your perspective.

This discussion has been closed.