How do I disable the warning of a reused password?

Options
13»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steffen: Thank you for the feedback. You're right, of course. it is awkward and I don't like having to explain this sort of thing. Honestly, I'd prefer that everyone just behave appropriately, but when that's not the case I'm not just going to shrug. This is a technical support forum for a software product, and there have to be standards or a lot of people would not be comfortable coming here to ask for help. I don't like doing it, but I think it's important to give warning rather than just banning someone immediately for violating the guidelines in place. :blush:

I'm not sure I understand your comment about "allow us to keep using what we've paid for" though. Can you elaborate? I'll be happy to help in any way I can if you're having trouble using 1Password. :)

• steffen
    steffen
    Community Member
    Options

@benty. Thanks for the kind words. I was referring to the request by the some of us for an option to dismiss the new (that was my point) red banner, either on a case by case basis or for those of us comfortable with it, as a general option in the preference (advanced) panel. Of course, please note that the fact we come here first of all means that we like your software and depend on it somehow for getting daily things done. In my case, i'd been using 1P since it came out first on iOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steffen: Ah, I see. I didn't understand that in the context of your "allow us to keep using what we've paid for" comment, since we have not removed functionality, but I will let the team know that you would also like more flexibility in dealing with these notifications. Thanks for supporting what we do, and also for your kindness, especially under the circumstances. :)

• steffen
    steffen
    Community Member
    Options

@benty. Thanks, this is most appreciated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1: I know I am not alone here at 1Password in wanting more flexibility with this, but there is a lot of competition for priorities of what we work on. Can't do everything at once, and there's plenty more work to be done.

• steffen
    steffen
    Community Member
    Options

@benty. Thanks. Best wishes from tiny Tübingen, Germany.

• olli_QPR
    olli_QPR
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to pop in also to to the discussion to request a method to be able to disable these warnings.

I do appreciate the position that these are merely warnings, and that it's not desirable to have a situation where someone does not know of a potential security issue. However as backwards as it may sound, I feel that not being able to exclude items from the warnings is actually making me less secure.

My situation is that I have a family account which has ton of items, and also our company account where there are even more items, and especially with the company account there are large number of items I have zero control over. Very large number of these items outside of my control trigger some of the warnings, and show up in the various buckets in Watchtower.

This effectively makes me less secure, as having large number of items in these buckets make them effectively useless to me. There is no practical way for me to identify the items that would need actions to address actual security issue as there are large number of "false positives". However important security might be, I simply cannot recall whether particular category in Watchtower had 76 or 78 items, and it's no-go to expect me to review tens of items to identify the possible changes and items actually needing actions to address an issue. At this moment I have 208 items listed in Watchtower categories, so you see it's not simple task to go thru or identify the handful that actually would need actions.

I do understand the point of these warnings, and as an ICT manager of the company I'm very much aware that https should be used instead of http, and I should not use weak passwords. However there are things I cannot change, such as a non-critical service where the password requirements are such that it's impossible to create a password for the system that does not trigger the weak password warning, or internal test systems where a log in occasionally needed, but where there is no actual data, and due to the nature of the environment it's not possible to use https at all.

Also there are some things in the application contributing to this, I would consider bugs. For example we have a need to have separate copies of our childrens Social Security Numbers, and as we have these in the vaults as a Social Security Number items, 1Password considers the number -field of these items as a password, so each of these are listed as a duplicate password.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. :+1:

Ben

• motees
    motees
    Community Member
    Options

I really don’t see a problem with giving users a choice on disabling the very annoying duplicate passwords, 2FA, and other warnings, at least on a per-item basis. It is unreasonable for 1Password people to argue that these warnings are necessary for simple users and therefore necessary for ALL users. If you are so concerned about those of who want these warnings disabled, then simply give us an adequate message of the consequences before disabling the warnings. WE GET IT!!! Problem solved. Simple.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I really don’t see a problem with giving users a choice on disabling the very annoying duplicate passwords, 2FA, and other warnings, at least on a per-item basis.

Yup.

It is unreasonable for 1Password people to argue that these warnings are necessary for simple users and therefore necessary for ALL users.

Literally no one has said that though.

If you are so concerned about those of who want these warnings disabled, then simply give us an adequate message of the consequences before disabling the warnings. WE GET IT!!! Problem solved. Simple.

That may be what we end up doing. Simple? Maybe for you. There's a lot to consider -- both people and consequences of changing things -- and it requires development and testing no matter what. ;)

The point is, this is not a bug, is working as intended, and there's a lot of other work that needs to be done, so this isn't the sort of thing where we drop everything to push out an update to change it. We agree that there's room for improvement, it's just not the sort of thing we're going to do on a whim. If we did, whatever we ended up with, even more people could very well be dissatisfied. :lol: So we'd rather take the time to listen to the feedback of all 1Password users -- not just those in this particular discussion -- before making further changes, while we're working on other things anyway. :)

• JHP
    JHP
    Community Member
    Options

At the least, please eliminate the duplicate that is flagged when there is a pair between a Login item and a Password item. The only workaround I see is for me to trash my Passwords as soon as they are used, but in the past the Password item folder has been a lifesaver in some situations.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We really don't want 1Password deleting data like that. If it worked the way you're suggesting, the Password item category would not have saved you in the past. I agree that it can be inconvenient to have these sometimes. But I think that inconvenience is far less than getting locked out of an account -- especially an important one. Some banks do password resets through postal mail... :sweat:

• gek
    gek
    Community Member
    Options

I understand that it isn't a drop everything and fix it now situation but do you have some sort of timeline for when it will be fixed?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It isn't broken. But we are evaluating feedback from everyone and looking at what the best option might be.

• JanC
    JanC
    Community Member
    Options

So it's been a couple of months without updates or news regarding this topic. While I understand that you have other priorities, I don't think that adding one option "Warn me about reused password" is such a big deal. If this option is enabled by default, existing users who update will not see any difference.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's a big deal because that means a) a distraction from something else (see the beta for examples) and b) if we just throw something together we'll end up needing to change it again, which is even more work for us and for our customers. We have to consider all angles, not just one specific perspective.

• JanC
    JanC
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    any update on this? .. it's been a while ..

cheers,
    Jan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019
    Options

We've released 10 beta updates with a ton of stuff we've been working on based on customer feedback since you asked last month. That's our focus right now.

• gek
    gek
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on this?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gek - nothing to share at this time.

This discussion has been closed.