To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Administrative Web account.

Options
dguskov
dguskov
Community Member

Is it possible to use (create?) a separate administrative web account for 1Password account?

For example.

I will use my master password and secret key for all my apps for sync.

And I will use separate login/password for 1Password.com, maybe with OTP. With this login I can see, for example, my billing status, my devices or anything else, but not data inside my vaults.

If I want use my vaults inside web interface, of course I will must be provided my master password and secret key via separate forms/button.

I want use stability and secure sync for all my vaults on all my devices. I want use backups and other benefits of membership.

But I do not want in any way to enter my master password in the form in the browser. No matter how reliable it is.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• lukevan
    lukevan
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have the answer but, interestingly, what you are asking appears to be what happened to me when I started the free trial on 1 Password 7. I created a new Master Password when I registered for 1 Password 7 (with the intent of making it my new true master password for use in opening my vaults). But so far, when I open 1 Password on my Mac, my iPhone, or my iPad, I still have to use my original password. When I open the app on my Mac (and not on the iPhone or iPad), in the LogIn category there is a new listing for 1Password.com and the new Master Password is listed there, which tells me it is only for use through a browser to get to my administrative account. The newly created password has only been required when I was logging into 1Password.com through a browser to get my 1st Aid Kit. Neither the iPhone or the iPad shows this 1 Password.com item, though, so they apparently are not recognizing that I upgraded to 1P 7. I posted a question in this forum topic about the distinction regarding these passwords and the lack of recognition by my mobile units a couple of days ago, but so far no one has provided any response.

• Meek
    Options

Hey @dguskov, that is an interesting idea! I think you should be able to accomplish what you're after.

With a 1Password Families account, you can invite more than one user to your account. With that, you can invite a second user using a different email address. That use will have a completely separate Secret Key and Master Password. You could designate one user as a Family Organizer (access to settings, billing, etc), and use the other "regular" user for all your passwords. While you'd have to enter your Master Password on the website when first creating the account, you could avoid signing into the regular user's account from then on in the web. You could sign into the regular user's account in all the apps so that your passwords sync, and only sign into the web from the Family Organizer's account to manage billing and other settings.

I hope that help!

• dguskov
    dguskov
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

A good solution for a higher price. Thank you, I will consider this option. Security have a cost. ;)

• Meek
    Options

Hey @dguskov, you're most welcome! And hey, if you decide to go this route, you'll have 3 extra slots for other family members should you want to invite them :)

• dguskov
    dguskov
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Meek !

"While you'd have to enter your Master Password on the website when first creating the account, you could avoid signing into the regular user's account from then on in the web"

After creating a regular user account, I can change his master password through the applications and the regular user's actual master password will never be entered into the browser.

• dguskov
    dguskov
    Community Member
    Options

Is it possible that the organizer could deauthorize the devices of other users?

• Meek
    Options

Hey @dguskov, good point, you could definitely change your Master Password through the app if you want to.

No, currently it is not possible for the organizer to deauthorize the devices of other users. Thanks for letting us know that's something you'd like to see though!

This discussion has been closed.