1Password, 1Password Mini, 1Password Browser Extensions... oh my!

DizzyD
DizzyD
Community Member

Hi, why all of the 1Password tools for Mac? 1Password, 1Password Mini, 1Password Browser Extensions. What is the advantage of using Browser Extensions vs. just using 1Password Mini from the menu bar?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: ????
Referrer: forum-search:primary vault

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DizzyD - good question! :) How would 1Password interact with your browser (i.e. - how would it fill in your credentials at login pages) if there was no browser extension?

The extension is what browser developers allow other developers to write and place within their browsers, to act as a bridge between the other developers' own apps, and the browser environment. In general (there are exceptions), apps are not allowed to interact with other apps unless specific code has been set up to allow it. With browsers, that framework is: extensions.

The mini exists because people often want to be able to use 1Password in browsers (and even elsewhere) without having to open the main app from the Dock or Applications folder. It also allows 1Password to be open and running on launch without having to add it to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items.

Hope that helps! :)

• DizzyD
    DizzyD
    Community Member

Lars, thank you for your response. The nuances are becoming more clear to me now. One additional question for you: I use Safari as my primary browser for Mac. How do I minimize the collisions between iCloud Keychain password features and 1Password browser extensions in Safari for Mac?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DizzyD - our recommendation is that you turn off your browsers' password manager once you're set up with 1Password. As you pointed out, it can cause collisions or even just confusion about which process is asking you to save logins, etc. Most browser-based password managers are relatively rudimentary in comparison to 1Password (many handle only login items and passwords), and although some now sync with other instances of the same browser you may have on other devices, none are able to sync with the password managers of other browsers. Chrome, for instance, does not sync saved passwords with Firefox.

One thing to note is that you do not have to actually disable iCloud keychain itself in order to turn off Safari's password manager. Just go go Safari's Preferences > Passwords and disable automatic saving and filling. Hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.