Brave 1password extension cannot find helper on Ubuntu 18.04

Options

Apologies I am not sure if this question was created in the correct category!

Browser: Brave (see tech details at bottom)
Brave 1Password extension: 4.7.2.90

I am trying to use the built in 1password functionality in Brave, however, whenever I click on the extension I am redirected to https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html and presented with the following message:

Looking for the 1Password helper
The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly.

Try again Learn More
Couldn’t connect to 1Password
Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension. Follow the simple steps on our support site or contact us.

FYI I am able to use the extension in Chrome on Ubuntu without any issues.

It is also worth noting that when I am redirected to the welcome page the site continuously refreshes, I feel like it may be worth keeping note of the failure/refresh count and opt for a less aggressive solution if possible!

Brave technical details:

Brave 0.25.2
V8 6.9.427.23
rev 8ea2a9c
Muon 8.1.8
OS Release 4.15.0-36-generic
Update Channel Release
OS Architecture x64
OS Platform Linux
Node.js 7.9.0
Brave Sync v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent 69.0.3497.100

Please let me know if you need any more information - thanks!

Daniel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:ubuntu brave

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @DHz,

That version is for the companion extension rather than 1Password X. The companion extension requires the native 1Password application is present and running and we only have native clients for Mac and Windows. I believe Brave are making changes that will allow any Chrome extension to be installed although one report I saw indicated 1Password X currently does not run smoothly. I'm sure it will improve over time but for now Brave on Linux is not a great combination with 1Password. If you're not a fan of Chrome for any reason either Firefox or Vivaldi could be options with 1Password X.

• Hello @DHz,

As Adam mentioned, Brave ships with the 1Password desktop app extension and as such it requires 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows to be installed, which is a tricky thing to do on Ubuntu. 🙂

1Password X was designed specifically to run entirely within your browser and is perfect for Linux. The official release of Brave does not allow other extensions to be installed, but thankfully the Brave Dev and Brave Beta releases do.

I recommend you download Brave Beta and install 1Password X beta directly from the Chrome Web Store. It works quite well on macOS – in fact I'm posting this response using this setup now and used 1Password to log in to these forums.

Please let us know how it goes. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend. 👋

++dave;

• DHz
    DHz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave / Adam,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly - I appreciate it! I’ll be sure to check out the dev and beta releases. However, chrome is always a stable backup :)

Thanks again.

Have a great weekend.

• 👍

This discussion has been closed.