Moving 6 > 7 and I have to setup sync again? Where are the instructions?

Options
phrozenpenguin
phrozenpenguin
Community Member

I've just upgraded from 6 to 7. I have a number of personal vaults that sync via Dropbox with iOS devices. I also have a Teams account for business.

When starting up it notified me to an issue and all my personal Dropbix sync settings were gone :-( is this expected? Not the usual 1PW experience.

With one account for a test I found the same folder as my previous sync and selected it. It looks like 1PW 7 now is syncing a different file? So now, my iOS devices don't sync back?

What do I need to do to get this working properly again!? Should have just stayed on 6!

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @phrozenpenguin! I'm sorry for the trouble. It sounds like you have a fairly complicated setup, with both a 1Password Teams account as well as multiple standalone vaults. Upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac shouldn't change your Dropbox settings, but we did deprecate the older Agile Keychain style of sync keychain in 1Password 7 for Mac. First run of version 7 should've imported this data, re-named the older version "legacyagilekeychain" and switched you to our newer version, OPVault. Is that not what happened? Look in 1Password for Mac's Preferences > Sync -- what do you see, for each vault? Is it using an OPVault keychain? If so, all you need to do on your iOS devices is:

1. Turn OFF syncing for each Dropbox-synced vault if it is not already off due to the re-naming of your sync keychain by 1Password for Mac.
    2. Turn syncing back ON, set it to Dropbox, and choose the OPVault instead of the Agile Keychain.
    3. Repeat this for every additional vault on all iOS devices you use 1Password on.

Let us know how you get on. :)

• phrozenpenguin
    phrozenpenguin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars. I wouldn't call it a complicated setup, I just use it for personal and business :-)

Upgrading to 7 for Mac removed Dropbox sync totally. It changed to the new OPVault format BUT ignored my previous sync. In that I go to Preferences > Sync and the setup is "None" - for any of my Vaults. I had to manually setup Dropbox to sync again (e.g. selecting folders, copying data).

Thanks for your instructions. That has enabled me to get my iOS device syncing, and I will now have to go through the same process on additional devices of mine and families. Pretty tedious and would have been good to get some warning. You guys are normally good with release notes etc but I feel this time round the over riding message is that you are pushing your subscription service - and. my setup is an obvious casualty of that.

What process should I go to when upgrading to 1Password 7 on MacOS on other computers? I would like it to be as straightforward as possible, but presume I have to direct them at some stage to this new vault format?
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target=discussion/comment/468703
    Of course, the other thing I have to remember is not to change anything on devices using the old format, or they won't be in sync :-(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phrozenpenguin - I'm sorry for the confusion and difficulty. To be clear (for both of us), you should NOT have had to "manually setup Dropbox to sync again (e.g. selecting folders, copying data)." When you run 1Password 7 for Mac on a Mac that has had version 6 data using Dropbox sync with the older, deprecated Agile Keychain format, it will

1. Inform you that the older format needs to be converted (and give you a chance to exit if you wish)
    2. Import the data into 1Password 7 for Mac (assuming you proceed)
    3. Rename any existing .agilekeychains to .legacyagilekeychain
    4. Create a new OPVault keychain in the same folder, and begin syncing with that.

On every OTHER device, syncing will be turned off by the above, because renaming the .agilekeychain files to .legacyagilekeychain means that the other devices that previously were syncing with a file with the .agilekeychain file-type cannot sync because no such file exists any longer (it's been renamed). So you must (for every such vault, in every device) re-sync it with the new .opvault keychain in order to resume Dropbox sync. To be clear, you can NOT keep data in sync between devices using both these formats. Even if you have older devices that can still use the Agile Keychain sync keychains, they don't exist anymore (well, they've been renamed). Please do NOT re-rename them back to .agilekeychain, because anything syncing with this instead of the newly-created OPVault will not sync with the devices that are using the OPVault keychain(s). Let me know if that's unclear.

You guys are normally good with release notes etc but I feel this time round the over riding message is that you are pushing your subscription service - and. my setup is an obvious casualty of that.

I wouldn't say we're "pushing" existing users. We call the OPVault format "new," but in reality, it has been available and we've advocated switching to it for years now. Agile Keychains were initially created as our very first keychain after leaving the Apple keychain itself, all the way back in 2009. It was a good format in its day, but that day is long past, and although we'd been soft-advising people to switch for a long time, in 1Password 7 for Mac, we decided for a number of reasons (mostly security and compatibility) that it was time to pull the plug officially on the 10+ year old Agile Keychain format, and require people upgrade to the newer, more flexible, robust and secure OPVault.

We're aware this will pose a certain amount of transition hassle for some users, and we're happy to help people upgrade their Dropbox setups to OPVault. But this would've been happening now for Dropbox users regardless of the existence of 1password.com memberships. We're definitely recommending 1password.com as the best (and by far the most trouble-free) way to use 1Password for new users, but we assume our existing users know 1Password well enough to decide what the best solution is for them. That said, if the hassle of upgrading to the new OPVault format on every device makes the ease and simplicity of signing into a 1password.com account on each device and being in sync instantly without fooling around with manual setup and maintenance of sync keychains, deprecated formats and other esoterica of advanced, 3rd party sync APIs seem preferable (or at least a lot easier) in comparison, we'd definitely invite you to consider a 1Password Families account. But the time and energy users are expending to upgrade and maintain their Dropbox setups aren't a result of us trying to "push" 1password.com memberships.

You're already a 1Password Teams member for work, so you know the ease-of-use and reliability of a 1password.com setup -- but it's still very much your choice if you want to continue to use Dropbox for sync and a standalone setup for your personal use. However, if you've got multiple family members who are also using 1Password (and - it sounded like - potentially also sharing data via a Dropbox share), a 1Password Families account is an even better deal, since it allows up to five people to all use any of our four native applications (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) without additional charge.

• phrozenpenguin
    phrozenpenguin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars - wasn't meaning to be snarky, it's just been a frustrating experience, and for various reasons I won't be moving to your subscription service (but would pay to upgrade my licenses). I'm not looking to debate that.

To be clear, the process you described is NOT what has happened for me. I was going to add screenshots, but in both Safari and Chrome the add picture menu doesn't show. From your post, with bold for response:

1. Inform you that the older format needs to be converted (and give you a chance to exit if you wish) > I don't recall a notice
    2. Import the data into 1Password 7 for Mac (assuming you proceed) I assume it has done this, as my data was in 1Password 7
    3. Rename any existing .agilekeychains to .legacyagilekeychain Did not do this - at least not with .agilekeychains in Dropbox
    4. Create a new OPVault keychain in the same folder, and begin syncing with that. Did not do this, only created after I manually setup Dropbox syncing again through preferences.

Hence why my worry about mis-aligned sync, because any device I haven't manually changed is still using and syncing the old format.

With your instruction I have now got my iOS devices syncing with the new format. I'm just not totally sure how to do it with MacOS, and given the confusion so far didn't want to end up losing passwords etc. Your instructions re what was meant to happen gives me enough to go on to try something with MacOS devices.

Let me know if I can do anything to help as my setup clearly did not follow the intended behaviour - and if it did, I wouldn't be so frustrated and would have likely been able to sort stuff out without resorting to the forum.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phrozenpenguin - I didn't think you were being snarky, no worries. :) It does depend somewhat on when (and what version of 1Password 7 for Mac you used to) upgrade, as well as how complex your standalone vault setup is. If you've got a sufficiently complicated standalone setup, the upgrade may choke on properly converting all of them -- but that' why we're here, and I'm glad you're on your way back to full sync. Really, from a macro level, all this is, is switching the sync keychain from .agilekeychain to .opvault. It just takes multiple steps to do that and it has to be done everywhere. Let us know if you run into anymore difficulties, and thanks again for being a 1Password user. :)

• phrozenpenguin
    phrozenpenguin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @lars unfortunately running into more difficulties.

Randomly just got this error - on my main machine:

I got into settings and its like I never set a sync up

Any thoughts? I have set it back to the previous folder and it prompted me to merge vaults. But doesn't fill me with confidence.

I sync two vaults through Dropbox so it is not a crazy amount. Thanks

• phrozenpenguin
    phrozenpenguin
    Community Member
    Options

And the saga continues. Another day and my second vault I sync through Dropbox has been forgotten and I needed to go through the same process as above. Confidence in 1Password7 getting lower by the day.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phrozenpenguin - yes, that's because the keychain you had been previously using was renamed from .agilekeychain to .legacyagilekeychain -- so in other words, the file you were using doesn't exist any longer, so sync is switched off. You need to re-connect sync using the OPVault that you created on the first device. If that doesn't seem to work, let me know and we'll take a look at some diagnostics reports.

• phrozenpenguin
    phrozenpenguin
    Community Member
    Options

Lars - this is the first device that I changed to - the one that was meant to rename files, but didn't. The same machine that as above I setup Dropbox sync manually on, checked and confirmed all was working. I understand your logic BUT this machine WAS successfully syncing the new opvault format. I have re-connected to the opvault, a second time for both vaults, at different times because they lost sync at different times.

What can we do to get to the bottom of this; I don't believe this is user error or my system being overly complex. I want to continue using 1Password7, but I have had more issues with this release than in my many paid years of using previous ones. The fact that syncing vaults have just randomly stopped syncing is very worrying.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phrozenpenguin - thanks for the clarification. I think at this point, rather than playing 20 Questions with you in this public forum, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#EDJ-23165-215]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @phrozenpenguin only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: EDJ-23165-215

This discussion has been closed.