Browser extintions for Edge, Google and Thunderbird

Options

I'm a fairly new unexperienced 1Password user, and I'm mostly satisfied but also a bit disappointed to find out, that known basic functionality issues is not solved. I have some remarks to different operating systems, different browser etc
1) Firefox and High Sierra on Imac
I started out there and created most of my logins. It work fairly well except

• when creating new Login I had manually to open the extension and ask for saving the new login
  • half of times I tested my logins, user-id and password were not transferred to the website.
  • it was not consistent that 1Password discovered changed User-id or Password. I had to remember myself to open the extension and ask for a replace

2) Edge on Windows 10 version 1809 on a portable device
Very often i happens that the extension for 1Password is locked, whether or not 1Password app is open. It make the browser useless if You want to create new logins, change password etc

3) Google on Windows 10 version 1809 on a portable device
I is impossible to open a lot of websites, including this www.discussions.agilebits.com. The error is: Not possible to connect.
This is a general problem with certain websites and can be solved in may Kaspersky Internet Security Settings. If You go to settings-->additional--Encryted connections scannings and ucheck 'Do not check encrypted connections' it work. But that is lowering the security level. The funny thing is, at I don't hav to make that setting i KIS when I use Edge?? That is why I would prefer to use the Edge Browser

4) Firefox on Windows 10 version 1809 on a portable device
Exactly same store as above with the Google browser

Life is not Easy ???
Kind regards from Denmark

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @gvb,

Thanks for reporting the issues.

when creating new Login I had manually to open the extension and ask for saving the new login

What version of 1Password are you using on iMac with High Sierra? We have a smarter 1Password brain for the 1Password extension in the 1Password 7.2 update, so it would help to know which version you're using as it could be a bug in the new version or in the old one that we may have already fixed.

I am not seeing any of these issues you mentioned on macOS that I just tested right now with the latest macOS Mojave, Firefox and 1Password 7.2 updates.

Very often i happens that the extension for 1Password is locked, whether or not 1Password app is open. It make the browser useless if You want to create new logins, change password etc

Are you saying you see 1Password locked in Edge while the desktop app is unlocked? That is not technically possible since the UI and data for the 1Password extension is handled by the desktop app, it's the same program with two separate views. Unless, you're seeing 1Password 7 and 4 at the same time?

What version of 1Password is installed on your PC and can you check the version for 1Password extension as well in Edge. To find it; open Edge, right-click on 1Password to select Manage, you should see Version: 7.2.575.

Check your Control Panel > Uninstall a program to confirm that you only have 1Password 7 installed.

This is a general problem with certain websites and can be solved in may Kaspersky Internet Security Settings. If You go to settings-->additional--Encryted connections scannings and ucheck 'Do not check encrypted connections' it work. But that is lowering the security level.

Actually, it is the opposite, you are allowing Kaspersky to violate your computer's security by allowing it to install itself as the chain authority of certificates, basically it hijacks itself into the computer's security system and it can read the encrypted content. That basically means Kaspersky can read anything on your computer, including your 1Password data if it wants. No app should have that power in the first place. You can read their knowledge base article here if you do not believe us.

We will never ever allow 1Password to be compromised like that and we will block 1Password from syncing/updating if we can't secure a connection to our service. We are not going to fix this.

The funny thing is, at I don't hav to make that setting i KIS when I use Edge?? That is why I would prefer to use the Edge Browser

Edge is a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app, it is more sandboxed than other browsers but it is also the most limited. I suspect because of the sandbox, Microsoft will not allow Kaspersky to do the same as it is doing to other browsers.

1Password extension for Edge also doesn't work the same way as other browser, it is more prone to various issues because we have to host 1Password extension in Microsoft Store and follow their regulations, which doesn't allow extensions to connect to desktop programs that are not in their store. So, we came up with a workaround to build a simple 1Password app that you can download from the Microsoft Store to allow 1Password extension to talk to this app, which then talks to the desktop program running on your computer.

Exactly same store as above with the Google browser

Not surprising, it would behave the same in all browsers except Edge. We won't be fixing this, you can either choose to allow Kaspersky to violate your security and consider a different password manager or turn off the security feature in Kaspersky.

• gvb
    gvb
    Community Member
    Options

Thank You Very much for Your answer

Mac world.
    OSX High Sierra 10.13.6 (My Imac is just out of date for Mojave)
    Firefox 62.0.3 (64 bit)
    1Password Extension 4.7.3.90
    1 Password 7.2.1

Microsoft World
    Windows 10 version 1809
    1password up to date (checked automatically)

Edge with 1Password Extension 7.2.575

To day the extension in Edge has behaved without any problem at all.

When I wrote the extension in Edge was locked whether or not 1 Password was unlocked, I meant that nothing happened when I clicked the extension symbol in the browser.

In the weekend I tried to set the extension to off and the I closed the browser and after reopening and setting the extension to on, it worked perfect.

So maybe It is working from now on in Edge.

Chrome & Thunderbird
    Let's forget those browsers. I'm happy if Edge work smooth, as it has done today
    Kind regards and thank's for Your Help

• Hi @gvb,

In the weekend I tried to set the extension to off and the I closed the browser and after reopening and setting the extension to on, it worked perfect.

You may have to do that every once in a while.

A few things to know, the 1Password + Edge integration tends to destablize if you close Edge and then reopen it right away (like closing the last tab and reopening Edge), it means the 1Password process wasn't given time to terminate properly and re-create them for hte new tab. We're working on a long term solution for this.

Sleeping with Edge running may also destablize them.

You can simply disable extension, restart Edge and then turn it back on to fix them.

It won't be like this for a long time, we'll get them fixed with Microsoft's help.

Firefox 62.0.3 (64 bit)

Is there a site you can share where you had an issue saving a new Login item with?

This discussion has been closed.