Data entered into desktop 1password is not synching with iPhone app using dropbox. What to do?

Options
ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
Community Member

I upgraded to 1Password 7 on my Mac. Now it is not synching through dropbox into my iPhone 1Password app. What should I do? Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:synch 1password 7 with iPhone 1passwrod app

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

What did you upgrade from? And did you have a licence or a subscription? Dropbox sync suggests that you have a licence, and if you have a licence for 1PW6 then you would need a new licence for 1PW7.

And if you have a sub, then Dropbox sync is neither needed nor advisable, you should be syncing through your account at 1password.com.

On the other hand, if you had a licence for 1PW7, then this still licences 7.2.1 (and all other 7.x), and if Dropbox sync is not working then there is something wrong that needs further checking.

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member
    Options

Could it be the need to change to OPVault?

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded from 6.x desktop software that I purchased, so guess that would be a license. When I upgraded to 7 do not recall seeing a message that a new license is required to sync with the iPhone app, so am supprised at that new information. Nevertheless, if that is in fact the requirement, how would I get a new license?

What is OPVault?

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ivj2Rap2Kusj8t - I'm sorry for the confusion. 1Password 7 for Mac is a new version, and so requires either a 1password.com membership (account) or an upgraded license purchase in order to use. Did you download/install 1Password from the Mac App Store? Or directly from our website? And can you open (on your Mac) 1Password Preferences > Vaults and tell us what you see there (number and names of vaults) as well as what you see on your iPhone in 1Password's Settings > Vaults -- are they the same?

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member
    Options

I got the 1PW 7 for Mac because I kept getting a pop-up notice that an upgrade was available, so eventually clicked to upgrade from 6.xx to 7. There was no mention of a fee or need for a new license purchase. 7 seems to work fine on my Mac, but then I noticed that new entries were not synching with the iPhone 1PW app. The original 1PW on the Mac was purchased directly from your website.

On my Mac, the vaults are 1) Primary, and 2) The name of my on-line 1PW Vault which includes Personal and two "Shared with" Vaults for the two people I share with. On my iPhone the only Vault is Primary which syncs with Dropbox.
    I mostly use the license version for all my needs, but also got the 1PW.com on-line family subscription to start sharing with family.

Hope that information helps, let me know if you need anything else.
    Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ivj2Rap2Kusj8t - if you were originally using standalone 1Password (local data, synced via Dropbox) in version 6, you would not have gotten a "a pop-up notice that an upgrade was available," because we didn't release any such pop-up to any users except those who already had a 1password.com account/membership. In other words, if you were using 1Password 6 for Mac and saw a pop-up to upgrade to version 7.0, then you already had a 1password.com account at the time.

That's fine, but it means you don't need to purchase a license to use 1Password 7 for Mac, since all our apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) are included with your 1password.com membership, so no matter what combination of devices you're using, you'll have the right app for it. In other words: no additional purchase necessary. However, it sounds like we still need to address the sync issue. Can you tell me what the specific sync path is for the Primary vault on both your phone and your Mac? You can find it in Preferences > Sync on your Mac, and in Settings > Primary > Sync Service (will be in small print under "Dropbox"). They should match exactly.

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like you identified the problem. On the Mac, sync path for primary vault is "none". (With the upgrade that was the default?). Sync path on iPhone for primary vault is Drop box.
    On the Mac I will select Dropbox, then select 1PW and see if that fixes it.

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ivj2Rap2Kusj8t - the most-likely reason that's the case is because you were previously using an Agile Keychain for your sync keychain in Dropbox. This format has been soft-deprecated for a while, but in 1Password 7 for Mac, we made the decision to formally pull the plug on it and no longer allow syncing with Agile Keychains. So, installing 1Password 7 for Mac means it converts existing Agile Keychains into OPVaults (our newer format). But this means on every OTHER device that had been syncing with the older Agile Keychain (like your phone), sync is turned off because 1Password 7 for Mac renames the .agilekeychain file to .legacyagilekeychain. When you turn syncing back on in 1Password for iOS, make sure you choose the .opvault file, and not any other keychain. Hope that helps! :)

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member
    Options

OK, that helps, but still not synching.
    Dropbox is set up now on the Mac as well as iPhone.
    But on the iPhone sync it says "/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain".
    Is that what you are referring to? How do I choose the .opvault file for iOS?

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ivj2Rap2Kusj8t - assuming that you previously had these same devices all syncing via the same Agile Keychain, then the iOS device will still be basically identical to the ones you've already switched (assuming you haven't added or changed a lot of data in one place or the other since you switched to OPVault on your Mac).

In 1Password for iOS, tap **Settings > Sync > (vault name) > Sync Service, then tap "Disable Sync" (in red at the bottom). This will discontinue 1Password for iOS' sync with that older Agile Keychain. Wait a second or two, then turn sync back ON, select Dropbox again as your sync method, only this time, use the OPVault keychain instead of the Agile Keychain. That should take care of it. Let me know how you get on. :)

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member
    Options

Made those changes, and it seems to be synching now, thanks!
    Never in a million years would have figured this out on my own.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ivj2Rap2Kusj8t - you're quite welcome! Glad to hear things seem to be back on course.

This discussion has been closed.