Disable Automatic Update Check via Script or Command

kgingerkginger Junior Member

We manage updates with Munki and need to stay on older Safari. 1Password 7.2.1 requires Safari 12. I want to disable Automatic Update across our fleets to maintain compatibility, this trick does not appear to work on version 7. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10+
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• chadseldchadseld 1Password Developer

Team Member
    edited October 2018

The preference domain and domain precedence has changed.

Try this instead:

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :CheckForSoftwareUpdatesEnabled bool 0" ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.plist

If you want to change the value back to the default, you can...

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Delete :CheckForSoftwareUpdatesEnabled" ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.plist

• ctyjiuhctyjiuh
    edited February 2019

edited
    ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.plist

this value

<key>CheckForSoftwareUpdatesEnabled</key>
    <true/>

to

<false/>

and it worked for me

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@ctyjiuh - excellent! Glad you figured it out. Let us know if you need any further assistance. :)

• kgingerkginger Junior Member
    edited May 2019

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@kginger - I'm going to guess you figured out the issue on your own? ;)

• kgingerkginger Junior Member
    edited May 2019

This worked.
    defaults write ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits CheckForSoftwareUpdatesEnabled false
    I am now experimenting with making this a system mobileconfig profile, is there a System preference or is it only user sandboxed?

• ag_kevinag_kevin Junior Member

Team Member

Hi @kginger ,

In the next update, you will be able to simply override that preference in a mobileconfig. It will accept the value you put in the config, and disable the checkbox in the Preferences.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Hi @ag_kevin do you have any existing system-wide mobileconfig examples for setting CheckForSoftwareUpdatesEnabled ? I see that v7.3 had "Check For Updates can now be disabled by Mobile Device Management profiles. {#3430}" in the release notes but I have yet to find an MDM profile example that works… Thanks!

• We're trying to disable the automatic updates on 1Password 7.4.1 stand alone (not through app store) through command line/scripting, so far non of the options from the forums have worked for us. Looking for other suggestions.

Tried the following:
    defaults write ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits CheckForSoftwareUpdatesEnabled false
    defaults write 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper CheckForSoftwareUpdatesEnabled 0
    /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :CheckForSoftwareUpdatesEnabled bool 0" ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.plist

• rudyrudy

Team Member

@ikaplan,

This doesn't do anything with 1Password 7

defaults write 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper CheckForSoftwareUpdatesEnabled 0

MDM would probably be a better approach than scripting it as that allows you to push those settings down to all user machines from your admin console.

You'd want to set the CheckForSoftwareUpdatesEnabled preference to 0 to disable from MDM.

• MrCoBaltMrCoBalt
    edited March 7

Giving this thread a bump as I believe I have structured a Configuration Profile that actually functions as expected when deployed at a system level.

For those out there seeking a similar solution give this a try, saving all the below text into a "1Password.mobileconfig" file (and then preferably opening it with Apple Configurator or a similar tool, signing it with your org's profile certificate, and then saving it back out so as to prevent future modifications/tampering):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
        <key>PayloadContent</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>PayloadDescription</key>
                <string>Configures com.agilebits.onepassword7 settings</string>
                <key>PayloadDisplayName</key>
                <string>com.agilebits.onepassword7</string>
                <key>PayloadIdentifier</key>
                <string>org.yourco.FD4844FE-B509-4AEA-908A-8E50928388F4.com.agilebits.onepassword7.CA94A7E3-12F9-4DEA-9895-D264F8C64CBB</string>
                <key>PayloadOrganization</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>PayloadType</key>
                <string>com.agilebits.onepassword7</string>
                <key>PayloadUUID</key>
                <string>CA94A7E3-12F9-4DEA-9895-D264F8C64CBB</string>
                <key>PayloadVersion</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <false/>
                <key>AutoInstallSoftwareUpdatesEnabled</key>
                <false/>
            </dict>
        </array>
        <key>PayloadDescription</key>
        <string>Disables 1Password autoupdate services</string>
        <key>PayloadDisplayName</key>
        <string>1Password</string>
        <key>PayloadIdentifier</key>
        <string>org.yourco.FD4844FE-B509-4AEA-908A-8E50928388F4</string>
        <key>PayloadOrganization</key>
        <string>Company Name</string>
        <key>PayloadScope</key>
        <string>System</string>
        <key>PayloadType</key>
        <string>Configuration</string>
        <key>PayloadUUID</key>
        <string>FD4844FE-B509-4AEA-908A-8E50928388F4</string>
        <key>PayloadVersion</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Also be sure to update the org.yourco. identifier / PayloadOrganization company name, and PayloadDescription lines as you see fit!

EDIT - yikes, this forum made a total hash of the line spacing and indents despite using the code tag… I've put a copy up for download here in txt format if anybody wants that vs trying to unmangle the forum's version…

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@MrCoBalt:

I have unmangled the code display for you ;)

• Many thanks!

• ag_tommyag_tommy

Team Member

:+1::)

• @ag_tommy how would I determine the identifier, company name & description lines, out of curiosity?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hey @RafaelN

Those lines are specific to your organization, not 1Password. :) It is really entirely up to you what they say.

Ben

• @Ben No, I get that part :-).

I guess what I'm asking is whether this string in the config above FD4844FE-B509-4AEA-908A-8E50928388F4 changes with my company, or not. Similarly, whether I'd just be substituting my company name for PayloadOrganization.

Sorry, I'm brand-new to doing stuff like this.

• @RafaelN That UUID was auto-generated when I made the original profile in ProfileCreator and I doubt it overlaps with any other MobileConfig Profiles you may have on your system so I think it would be safe to re-use while just changing "org.yourco" and the PayloadDisplayName / PayloadOrganization / PayloadDescription portions to whatever you wish.

• @MrCoBalt thank you! I'll do that; I'm still struggling with what I'd change PayloadDescription to, TBH.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited May 22

You don't have to change it. :) All it does is describe what the purpose of the file is to people who might view it. Most people will never see the description.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file