1PW browser extension in Chrome OSX - 5 problems never seen before

Options
geoffb
geoffb
Community Member

Long time loyal user, I updated the Chrome browser extension ver 4.7.3.90, along with 1PW 7 main app vre 7.1.2 a few days ago. Latest Chrome version 69.0.3497.100 under OSX. Ghostery, AdBlock, Privacy Badger, FlashBlock, History Eraser extensions. Reinstalled the 1PW browser extension twice, turned off all extensions except 1pw in chrome://extensions just to make sure.

• The extension auto locks after only a few seconds, there's no way to prevent this, as far as I can tell. It shows a lock symbol on the icon.
  • When you go to a site with the extension locked and you click on it and enter your Master Password, it opens your 1PW cloud user account link, asking for Secret, Master Password and so on, every time. However, it also did not fill the desired page you were on so you have to click it again and manually select the correct login and 'fill'. "Open URL in New Tab" is selected for mini, btw. It's interesting, it actually navigated away from the page you were on to the 1PW cloud account page. It looks to me like it's confused on passing the desired URL in to the new tab and shoves the user's master account URL in, which is totally strange.
  • When it does work, if it sees a field that it does not know what to do with, ie an unexpected field name, it's fills in every one of those fields. This corrupted my Costco business account, as "unexpected results" occurred on the Costco side (poor input validation on their part !) and now my ship to address has in it. I fixed it by blowing away ALL the form data and manually re-entering it all.
  • When you create a new login+password for a URL, the 'Save" button is sometimes red and it shows in the dialog box "Unable to Contact Server check network connection". The main 1PW app is fine however, Little Snitch shows that it's not trying to connect, Wireshark shows no connection attempts. This just happened trying to save my new password for this very support forum.
  • If you click on the unlocked extension with no fields to fill, ie on a blank page, you get a menu from the extension with "Install the 1 password extension to fill..."

Anyone have any ideas, let me know. I am not mad, just have not seen anything from Agile Bits act this flaky, ever.

thanks folks !

geoff

_1Password Version:7.1.2
_Extension Version:4.7.3.90
_OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
_Sync Type:_1PW account

Comments

• geoffb
    geoffb
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Sorry guys, I had created a previous entry today about this problem set with some incorrect data, so here's a re-post with correct data this time
    OSX 10.13.6 Chrome Version 69.0.3497.100. Ghostery, AdBlock, Privacy Badger (I disabled them all to test the issues)

• The unable to connect to Server issue is still present, in fact it just got it trying to save the pw for this forum. Looking at it with Wireshark, no packets go out to you. Looking at the console log, I see dozens of:

"Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'saveItem' of undefined at wM.saveItem background.js:36
    Unable to save item, running syncer and retrying...
    No syncer available. Skipping runSyncer for LDBSHYXH2RFI7OKOCB5A4V3TUY background.js:29
    Failed to save login: TypeError: Cannot read property 'saveItem' of undefined at wM.saveItem (background.js:36)"

• Clicking on any site to fill causes the extension to take you to 1PW account page, asking you to fill all your account secret, keys etc. I see this on the release notes as a 'Feature' when something on the Account has changed, re-auth. Too bad nothing has changed in my account ;-) Moreover the action of taking you to your Account page with no explanation of why is seriously confusing, imho. It needs a "Something changed and we are therefore asking you to re-auth for security reasons". RFE por favor.
    • When it does take you to the 1PW account page, it leaves the original page you were on, so now you have to go back manually to the original page and fill.
    • Filling fields on a site which 1PW extension does not know what to fill causes it to fill "nil" with < > around it in to those fields, example: I go to Stanford Health Care 'My Health' and because I have no field entry for "Middle Name", my middle name is now "nil" with <>carets around it (typing it this way due to this bbs posting engine interpreting it as a tag and inserting a real nil in to the post . (I sometimes think nil might be appropriate in my case :-)

Thanks folks, loyal user for years.

geoff

1Password Version: 7.1.2
    Extension Version: 1.11.0
    OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
    Sync Type: 1PW account

• geoffb
    geoffb
    Community Member
    Options

the BBS posting code deleted the "" tag in the last problem, it should read "fill in to those fields ""

• geoffb
    geoffb
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I give up .. it posts a nil with < and > around it..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@geoffb: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm actually glad you posted twice (I've merged it all here) because you included a few different details and confirmed some of my suspicions about what's going on.

First, you've got two very different 1Password extensions installed in Chrome. There's nothing wrong with that, but we generally don't recommend it because that can cause a lot of confusion, as they work very differently:

• 1Password X (version 1.11.0 you installed) is a self-contained extension which runs entirely in the browser. That way it can be used in places where a native 1Password app cannot be installed — like Linux, Chrome OS, or work computers. This has its own lock settings.
    • The 1Password desktop extension (4.7.3 which you installed) depends entirely on the 1Password Windows or Mac app to function, and integrates directly with that so you can use its features in your browser. This shares lock settings with the app.

I suspect that some of the behaviour you experienced was new to you because you'd not used 1Password X in the past, only the desktop extension, and these work differently.

The issue you encountered with the server error is something affecting some users which we've addressed in the current beta of 1Password X. If you'd like to use that, it will resolve that issue for you.

Regarding having to sign in each time and locking "after a few seconds", those will be due to something you're doing: either you need to adjust your lock settings, stop other apps/extensions from interfering, or stop clearing browser data and destroying the settings of 1Password X. Probably worth setting up a new, clean browser profile without all of the extra stuff (much of which you're allowing to access everything you do in your browser — including login credentials you fill with 1Password) to avoid interference.

Finally, if you'll share the specific URL(s) where you're having filling issues and indicate whether you're having the trouble with 1Password X or the desktop extension, I'll be happy to test it to see if there's something we can do to improve things.

Let me know, and be sure to tell me if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.