Entering master password in iOS 12 password autofill doesn't count towards requirement

aaronraimist
aaronraimist
Community Member

Full title: Entering master password in iOS 12 password autofill doesn't count towards requirement to unlock with master password after rebooting.

After rebooting my phone (or installing a new update as was the case today), I have to enter in my master password. Great, but if the first time I use 1Password is through the new iOS 12 autofill API, that doesn't seem to "count" towards allowing me to now unlock 1Password with Face ID. Later I'll open up 1Password app and assume that now I would be able to use Face ID to login but I actually have to type in my master password again.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1 beta 4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @aaronraimist

That is correct. We're looking to see if there is a way we can make that happen but I can't make any promises at this point.

Thanks!

Ben

• ronron113
    ronron113
    Community Member

You can use the share extension like we did pre-iOS 12 after the first reboot, and that WILL count toward the requirements. From then on until your next reboot or timeout setting, you can use the new integrated auto fill option without the continuous master password prompt.

Off topic, I typed a longer version of this and pressed "Comment as." It prompted me to log in or create an account. I created an account in a new window and then signed out, and returned to the login page thinking that after I logged in the POST data would still be there, and ultimately post what I typed. It didn't. Ugh.

• Good point, @ronron113. Thanks for mentioning that workaround. I’m sorry to hear about the difficulty you had with the forum software. It is usually pretty good about saving drafts, but it sounds like something didn’t happpen quite as expected there. :(

Ben

• ronron113
    ronron113
    Community Member

I prefer to use the share extension anyway, because some websites won't make a submit button "active" until the username and password fields both detect "typing." I'm not sure how they do this, but it's only some websites. The share extension somehow "types" the login info into the fields, or maybe it just modifies their values by using JavaScript?. But the 1Password integrated auto fill, as well as Apple's autofill since at least two iOS versions ago, somehow just fills the fields (and then highlights them yellow to show you). I'm not sure if the websites are just checking to see if there are focus/blur events, or mousedown/mouseup events, or what, but they just refuse to activate submit buttons until you type something (or use the share extension).

I can get around this by ignoring the password suggestion on the keyboard and pressing the icon of the key, not selecting a saved password from this menu but instead selecting "1Password," then choosing a saved password from the 1Password screen. What's interesting to me is that this looks exactly like the share extension, but it doesn't count toward the requirement(s) we discussed above. Maybe it is the share extension but it's just sandboxed in the same way third-party keyboards are (unable to communicate with full app unless you explicitly allow full access in settings)?

I know that this really is just not-completely-thought out UI choices of certain web developers, and that they'd have to deliberately set the submit button to be disabled until a condition (or two) is met, but it still irks me. Some websites even shoot themselves in the foot even more by saving the username and having it set as the default form value, while simultaneously forcing inactive submit buttons until the values of the form fields are changed. For example, if I'm logged into a site, close it, and go back later, it might ask for my username and password again, but have my username automatically filled in since I was logged in before. I should be able to type my password and press submit, except someone overlooked the fact that I don't need to type my username in, so the webpage expects me to type something and won't activate the submit button unless I Make a small change to the username field such as backspacing the last character and then typing it in manually.

• Agreed; sounds like some less than ideal web development choices that don’t take password management into account. The 1Password UI you see in Password AutoFill may look similar to the existing 1Password share sheet extension but that’s only because we designed it that way, not because it has any relation.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.